Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

In Between Sizes - Big Difference?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 11:11 PM
Jtsweeep

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Pathlite 7.0 AL SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey everyone, I just received my Canyon Pathlite hybrid and am not sure if it's too big or not. I feel a little stretched out but it just might be because I haven't ridden in a while and don't know what it should feel like. The Canyon measurement tool on the site says I'm a small but the rep on the phone suggested I get a medium so I got a medium. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. If I put in one inch taller and one higher for the inseam, it says medium so I figure I'm right on the border.

Could you guys tell me if there would be a big difference in feel based on the geometry of a small and a medium? I've compared the numbers and a lot of the measurements are the same or less than 1" difference but I don't know what that translates to in body position. The standover height is .87" higher in the medium. I can stand over the top tube flat footed but the boys are touching it. How important is that?

Should I get a small or is a medium fine? TIA

geometry
Old 06-10-20, 04:58 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Size is determined by your body build.
BTW - 1 " is a significant amount of change in bicycle parlance.

That is, do you have a long torso or shorter torso and longer legs? Long arms?

How fit are you and how are you going to be riding this bicycle - as a recreational rider on groomed trail or at a higher, performance orientation?

The top tube length related to torso length, and steering geometry is related to stem length.
A long top tube with a short stem handles differently that a shorter top tube and longer stem.

Fit is a factor of all of this, including crank arm length.

When I fit, feet are first, saddle height/position is next and then stem length.
They all work together for proper fit.

As I like to say - the top tube always wins!
rusty
Old 06-10-20, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Probably like purchasing speakers for your stereo. If you never listen to a different pair, you will think your pair the perfect sound.

Everything is just a guess until you ride them for more than around the parking lot. I've ridden bikes that were 6 to 8 cm bigger than what any sane shop owner would have sold me. I was comfortable on all of them. And I rode them for 100 mile rides and for thousands of miles.

So don't get too concerned about being in the overlap if you aren't going to test ride them both.
Old 06-10-20, 10:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Without knowing any of your dimensions other than height, ("inseam" could be anything), you sound like a medium. If you haven't been riding, your opinion of what feels right may not be worth anything. You want to know what feels right after a couple thousand miles, and you can't know that now. If you really want to know more, go to https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
Take your measurements as instructed and enter them into the calculator. Go more by top tube length than anything.
Old 06-10-20, 12:57 PM
Jtsweeep

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
Size is determined by your body build.
BTW - 1 " is a significant amount of change in bicycle parlance. -Yikes, I was afraid of that.

That is, do you have a long torso or shorter torso and longer legs? Long arms? -I would say 60/40 slightly longer torso and average length arms. I wear 32/32 pants and a 34-35 sleeve dress shirt is a hair long on me (32-33 is a hair short).

How fit are you and how are you going to be riding this bicycle - as a recreational rider on groomed trail or at a higher, performance orientation? -I'm fairly fit and athletic although I had shoulder surgery last November. I rode 8.5 miles at an avg speed of 9.3 mph yesterday and wasn't really tired. I would say I'll be riding it at a recreational+ rider level. I won't be doing any real serious mt bike trails.

The top tube length related to torso length, and steering geometry is related to stem length.
A long top tube with a short stem handles differently that a shorter top tube and longer stem.

Fit is a factor of all of this, including crank arm length.

When I fit, feet are first, saddle height/position is next and then stem length.
They all work together for proper fit. -How do you know when the fit is proper? Are there any tell-tail signs that the fit is improper?

As I like to say - the top tube always wins!
rusty
Originally Posted by Iride01
Probably like purchasing speakers for your stereo. If you never listen to a different pair, you will think your pair the perfect sound.

Everything is just a guess until you ride them for more than around the parking lot. I've ridden bikes that were 6 to 8 cm bigger than what any sane shop owner would have sold me. I was comfortable on all of them. And I rode them for 100 mile rides and for thousands of miles.

So don't get too concerned about being in the overlap if you aren't going to test ride them both.
I would have the opportunity to exchange the bike within 30 days provided they have stock.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Without knowing any of your dimensions other than height, ("inseam" could be anything), you sound like a medium. If you haven't been riding, your opinion of what feels right may not be worth anything. You want to know what feels right after a couple thousand miles, and you can't know that now. If you really want to know more, go to https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
Take your measurements as instructed and enter them into the calculator. Go more by top tube length than anything.
That's exactly the problem- I have no idea what it's supposed to feel like. After the 8.5 mile ride, my wrist was hurting a bit and it felt like I was holding myself up with my arms so I'm not sure if the bike is too big or I just have a weak core.

I used the calculator and it gives me three options: the XC fit, the all mountain fit, the gravity fit. I don't know what the difference are but for a couple of them I'm within the top tube spec with the medium bike and one is in the small range.
Old 06-10-20, 01:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you get a size that is within what the manufacturer sizing guide show, whether the bigger or smaller of the overlap size, then there are adjustments that can be made to deal with issues of too much pressure on wrists and many other pains, soreness and numbness people gripe about.

A lot can be done by just changing the fore/aft, tilt and height of the seat. Some the height of the bars. And even a change of the stem length in some cases which is the only one that will cost a few more bucks.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-10-20, 03:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

^ And you should be able to get the shop to fit the bike to you, with the correct stem and all adjustments, no extra charge. Ask.
Old 06-11-20, 08:37 PM
Jtsweeep

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you get a size that is within what the manufacturer sizing guide show, whether the bigger or smaller of the overlap size, then there are adjustments that can be made to deal with issues of too much pressure on wrists and many other pains, soreness and numbness people gripe about.

A lot can be done by just changing the fore/aft, tilt and height of the seat. Some the height of the bars. And even a change of the stem length in some cases which is the only one that will cost a few more bucks.
I tried moving the seat fore/aft and up and down and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My butt is killing me. Is that a sign of a wrong size bike?

^ And you should be able to get the shop to fit the bike to you, with the correct stem and all adjustments, no extra charge. Ask.
This bike is online only and the stem/bars is one piece.
Old 06-12-20, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Are you just starting to ride or have been away from riding for a fair amount of time?

I think age even has a little to do with it for some. 10 or so years ago when I switched from just being a leisurely ride around the neighborhood a few times a month to riding 4 to 6 days or more per week for fitness, my butt was sore for quite a while. Something on the order of weeks for the major annoyance.

I was riding the same bike that was comfortable to me back when I was a teenager, so I knew it wasn't the bike. It was my butt being over 50 and out of riding condition. I rode anyway. I played the Swap Saddle Game which seemed to help, but finally wound up with a saddle that wasn't too different than the one that was on it when I started the saddle swap game.

Even today, if I lay off riding the bike for a couple weeks and then start doing long rides again. I'll get a little annoying muscle and joint pain around my sit bones and maybe my tail bone, but it doesn't last but a few days at the most now. And it's not anything that I'd even complain about to others.

Most of the bikes sold today have decent seats for their intended use. Rarely, there are people that have pelvis that put their sit bones outside the norms. Some bike shops can help you figure it out or just google for "sit bones bicycle seat sizing".

If you are new to cycling and you only do a ride every week or so, you'll probably constantly be plagued with butt soreness.

But remember, this is IMO. And based solely on my perception of things that may or may not have been a factor for me. Along with a little reading that I may or may not have understood fully.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-12-20 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-12-20, 10:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Jtsweeep
I tried moving the seat fore/aft and up and down and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My butt is killing me. Is that a sign of a wrong size bike?

This bike is online only and the stem/bars is one piece.
Those adjustments actually make a lot of difference, but you haven't ridden enough to see what they do. There are 2 possibilities w/r to your butt:

1) Your sore butt is a sign of a person who hasn't been riding. This is the most likely. The cure is to ride every day if you can, but only for 30 minutes. 2 weeks of that will pretty much take care of it. Unless:
2) The saddle is too soft or too hard or too narrow. You want a saddle that's not hard as a board, but yet not squishy. You should be able to depress your thumb into the padding, but not have it sink very far. If your sit bones are on or near the edge of the saddle, it's too narrow. Bike shops can measure your butt and recommend a proper width saddle. However, #1 is more common.
Old 06-12-20, 04:07 PM
Jtsweeep

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you just starting to ride or have been away from riding for a fair amount of time?

I think age even has a little to do with it for some. 10 or so years ago when I switched from just being a leisurely ride around the neighborhood a few times a month to riding 4 to 6 days or more per week for fitness, my butt was sore for quite a while. Something on the order of weeks for the major annoyance.

I was riding the same bike that was comfortable to me back when I was a teenager, so I knew it wasn't the bike. It was my butt being over 50 and out of riding condition. I rode anyway. I played the Swap Saddle Game which seemed to help, but finally wound up with a saddle that wasn't too different than the one that was on it when I started the saddle swap game.

Even today, if I lay off riding the bike for a couple weeks and then start doing long rides again. I'll get a little annoying muscle and joint pain around my sit bones and maybe my tail bone, but it doesn't last but a few days at the most now. And it's not anything that I'd even complain about to others.

Most of the bikes sold today have decent seats for their intended use. Rarely, there are people that have pelvis that put their sit bones outside the norms. Some bike shops can help you figure it out or just google for "sit bones bicycle seat sizing".

If you are new to cycling and you only do a ride every week or so, you'll probably constantly be plagued with butt soreness.

But remember, this is IMO. And based solely on my perception of things that may or may not have been a factor for me. Along with a little reading that I may or may not have understood fully.
I appreciate the insight! I rode a lot when I was younger but it's been quite a while since then. I don't ever remember my butt hurting though so maybe it is the age thing. However, I took a bike tour in Poland last year and I don't remember it hurting.

Those adjustments actually make a lot of difference, but you haven't ridden enough to see what they do. There are 2 possibilities w/r to your butt:

1) Your sore butt is a sign of a person who hasn't been riding. This is the most likely. The cure is to ride every day if you can, but only for 30 minutes. 2 weeks of that will pretty much take care of it. Unless:
2) The saddle is too soft or too hard or too narrow. You want a saddle that's not hard as a board, but yet not squishy. You should be able to depress your thumb into the padding, but not have it sink very far. If your sit bones are on or near the edge of the saddle, it's too narrow. Bike shops can measure your butt and recommend a proper width saddle. However, #1 is more common.
You're right on #1 . I've been riding 1-3 times a week for the past 3 weeks for around 30-55 minutes. I'll do it more regularly and see if it helps. I just adjusted the height and position again after watching a youtube video. I moved the seat max forward and lowered it a bit. It feels like I'm sitting on bone more now rather than flesh so maybe that was part of it. I also ordered some padded pants.
Old 06-22-20, 03:10 PM
thamza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in market for the exact same bike and thinking about getting the M size even Canyon sizing tells me to get S. The top tube difference between S and M is only 8 millimetres (482 vs 490). Where did you buy yours? They are out of stock online and LBS do not have them.

Thanks
Old 08-23-20, 07:36 AM
scbeano

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am approximately the same size as you and am worried that the Canyon site says to get a Small. Any more feedback if the medium is working out for you? Thanks.
Old 08-24-20, 07:22 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
if you're 5'10" and a medium feels too large, that is a very poorly designed bike.
please post a photo of the bike. I would like to know if there's something weird going on with the setup. some people ride a bike with a weird seat angle or they have the handlebar unintentionally set up in a weird position. a trained eye could spot that quickly.
Old 08-30-20, 07:51 PM
thamza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my Pathlite 6.0 in M from Canyon outlet site. The bike feels good and I think I made good decision of not going for S (Canyon sizer recommendation). I can always get shorter stem if I feel streched.
Likes For thamza: