Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - Not sure how I should sell a BMC brand new in the box bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-20, 08:26 AM
zzddrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dear all,
Due to some health problems I have to sell a BMC AlpenChallenge AC01 Stealth (black) Alfine 11 (no chain ... Gates belt drive) M (medium size) bike. The bike is brand new and it is still in the original box. I also have a brand new (never used) fender kit which is removable if installed and it came from BMC (not after-market). My question is to what would be the best way to sell it. What price I should ask for? My sincere apologies but I am a newbie in this forum and I do not want to post anything at the wrong place thus I ask.
Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Last edited by zzddrr; 06-16-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 09:09 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Why not just return it?
Old 06-16-20, 09:20 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Why not just return it?
The reason why I cannot return it is because I passed the 90 days return policy. The bike is brand new not even taken out of the box. Sadly due to my health it would not make sense to even take it for 1 ride.
Frankly, I am not sure where to post or even I can post something for sale. I am not even sure what I can (or should) as for it. I am in the UK just 19 min from St Pancras station.
It is killer bike for sure.
Old 06-16-20, 10:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by zzddrr
The reason why I cannot return it is because I passed the 90 days return policy. The bike is brand new not even taken out of the box. Sadly due to my health it would not make sense to even take it for 1 ride.
Frankly, I am not sure where to post or even I can post something for sale. I am not even sure what I can (or should) as for it. I am in the UK just 19 min from St Pancras station.
It is killer bike for sure.
Did you ask the store anyway? If the bike is still current model year, maybe they'd have an interest in still taking it as a return, possibly with eg. a 20% restocking fee deduction?
Old 06-16-20, 10:07 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
See if the shop will take it back, after explaining your situation.
Otherwise, perhaps Ebay, with "Local pickup only" to avoid shipping costs.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-16-20, 10:17 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
At least in the USA, bike shops are literally empty due to the high demand for bikes and supply issues. The shop you bought the bike might actually welcome taking the bike back as they'll likely be able to sell it pretty quickly.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 06-16-20, 10:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Who sells a bike in a box? It almost surely violates the bike company's policy
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-16-20, 10:39 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First of all! Thank all of you for the quick replies. I am a bit slower to respond.

Very good point.

Sadly, I have a bad situation and things don't always work out well. (Health often does not last)
Do you guys think whether I should post my bike sale here or eBay? I just really think that asking the right questions may help. I know what the value of this bike was at evenscycle but things changed.

I feel so bad about it even asking the above question(s).

I think my only option is sale. The model is not the last year one but it is as far as I am concerned is limited edition. It has never been taken out of the box (due to my accident ... then health condition). It is the stealth edition that was BMC's top class in the AlpenChallenge line.

Not sure what to do.
Any suggestion is welcomed
Old 06-16-20, 10:41 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Who sells a bike in a box? It almost surely violates the bike company's policy
Somebody who had a serious accident and cannot take the beauty out of a box for even 1 ride. Accidents happen and your question was very genuine,
Old 06-16-20, 10:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
I believe that unterhausen was referring to the bike shop selling a bike in a box as that violates many manufacturer / retailer agreements.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-16-20, 12:25 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Yeah a new in box bike being sold by a regular Joe sends off all kinds of red flags
is it stolen?
Is it counterfeit?

Bike shops don't seem to just hand over an unassembled bike in a box (at least the ones near me don't)

Better to try and work a deal with the original shop vs dealing with possible buyers who will be concerned about the bikes history
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-16-20, 02:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I agree, ask the shop. They may be happy to have something to sell. If you sell privately, figure 50% off what you paid.
Old 06-16-20, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Yeah a new in box bike being sold by a regular Joe sends off all kinds of red flags
is it stolen?
Is it counterfeit?

Bike shops don't seem to just hand over an unassembled bike in a box (at least the ones near me don't)

Better to try and work a deal with the original shop vs dealing with possible buyers who will be concerned about the bikes history

I'd definitely be worried it "fell off the truck."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-17-20, 05:02 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
is it stolen?
Is it counterfeit?

Basically I ordered the bike from a reputable store from Belgium and they shipped to me here in the UK. The store is an authorised BMC dealer and the bike pretty much assembled in the factory.
Old 06-17-20, 05:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So, you're in the UK? I don't know your national bike inventory situation, but if it's anything like what's going on in the U.S., you will discover that there's high demand for bicycles in excellent condition. You likely can sell that bike for more than you paid. Here in Washington DC, good quality bikes sell in a single day on Craigslist.

You received good advice already. Use eBay local pick-up only and buy-it-now pricing. That eliminates the world-wide visibility for your sale, but it is at least a moderated environment. Calculate the fees so that you know what your net payment received will be. Secondly, say in the listing that you are also using local sales web sites (Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace or whatever), and that the eBay listing may be closed at any time at your discretion. New in box may be more difficult for in-person sale, because the buyer is accepting the risk that the box's contents are complete and undamaged. This may necessitate a discount, to be negotiated at point of sale.

Shipping the bike is also an option, but you'll have to investigate the fees for various carriers and build them into the sale. Most novice sellers shy away from this. Good luck.
Old 06-17-20, 10:07 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dear All,
Thank you so much for the valuable suggestions. I will update this post with the outcome. I live in St Albans just outside of London luckily biking is very popular here so I will try to post my bike ad locally and to London because my town is only a 19 min trip via train and since the bike is in its factory box it can be easily moved. Phil, I will make sure that the buyer will have the option to check the bike. One thing for sure whoever will buy it he/she will be very happy with it.
Likes For zzddrr:
Old 06-17-20, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
AFAIK, There is a Fee paid to actually post you want to sell a bike ... as an advertiser - would be your status.. on this site
Old 06-17-20, 12:26 PM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
AFAIK, There is a Fee paid to actually post you want to sell a bike ... as an advertiser - would be your status.. on this site
I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up. What I will do is first I will walk down to a few local bike stores and see whether they can help.

I must say this forum is awesome and I got so many good suggestions. Thanks for all of you.
Old 06-17-20, 05:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, best solution would be buy-back from the shop that sold it. Unfortunately, if you sell it yourself, the next owner will not be the original owner and will have NO WARRANTY. Expect that to be reflected in the price you get: No dealer support and no warranty.
Old 06-17-20, 05:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It's funny.. this site should pay people to advertise stuff they wanna sell.. it's often more interesting than the stuff they allow folks to post for free.
Old 06-17-20, 10:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Convince capitalism about the free stuff..
Old 06-17-20, 10:44 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
is it stolen?
Is it counterfeit?

Both my Intense MTB and my Salsa came to me in boxes, no telling what kind of damage may have occurred in transit if they weren't in a box.
Old 06-18-20, 05:26 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Both my Intense MTB and my Salsa came to me in boxes, no telling what kind of damage may have occurred in transit if they weren't in a box.
I guess it depends on the market and the manufacturer. Often some bikes are shipped in bulk packaging to the dealers so they do not have individual boxes. I just asked BMC and they confirmed that most of their bikes are even delivered to the dealer in individual packaging to ensure they would not be damaged.
Old 06-18-20, 05:27 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's funny.. this site should pay people to advertise stuff they wanna sell.. it's often more interesting than the stuff they allow folks to post for free.
That was a good one. :-)
Old 06-18-20, 05:28 AM
zzddrr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Convince capitalism about the free stuff..
Yep ... as the saying goes ... there is no such thing as free lunch. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.