Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

2020 Ride of Silence Update

Search
Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 12:49 PM
markpedal
markpedal

Bikes: Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow cyclists, I am tracking 2020 Ride of Silence locations for the RofS Board of Directors. I’m a former V. P., Sr. Outreach Director and Mentor of the organization. I’m currently an Advisor to the Board, our Historian/Statistician, MI Coordinator and a local Organizer. (involved since 2005)

Due to the uniqueness of this year's Ride because of COVID-19, it allows me to note multiple Ride locations within a city; small group rides, solo rides and virtual rides, vs. typically a single large gathering.

Yes this includes all virtual rides, a Spin for Silence. I had a reply from a spinner on Instagram; [yes I rode on the 20th (May), but it was only on my trainer] As RofS Founder Chris Phelan has always stated; “A single cyclist riding in silence is a RofS”. If you spun that evening on a trainer for the RofS, you joined folks in Antarctica who held their unique Spin for Silence for the 14th year. They count and so do you.

We could potentially set a record for most locations this year:

The RofS website lists 156 locations. I’ve tracked an additional 218 so far via the hashtag the Board requested riders to post in social media. For instance, I’ve noted 8 separate group, solo or virtual Rides in Berlin Germany, each in a specific District of the city.

I’m asking everyone here who held a Ride or Spin for Silence that evening, where was it located in your city or town? Please reply here or send me a message noting City & State. (or Country if outside the U.S.A.) Please identify if it’s N, W, E or S in your area, and if you can be more specific; NW or SE, uptown, downtown, &/or a district like Berlin or NYC’s 5 boroughs, from a city park etc.

NOTE: If you rode in a city that is listed on the RofS website, from the start location noted in the Ride listing, no need to reply, you're already counted.

Thanks for riding on 5/20. Hopefully in 2021 we can return to a normal Ride of Silence. As an FYI, the Board is planning on rolling out a new website for 2021 sometime in Nov./Dec.

Ride Safe,
Mark H. (markpedal)
rideofsilencemh@gmail.com
www.rideofsilence.org

Ps. Excuse my old signature below, I have to figure out how to revise it!!
Old 08-13-20, 01:06 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Would you explain what the ride of silence is for ? Some of us (like me) don't know what it is about.
Old 08-18-20, 09:22 PM
markpedal
markpedal

Bikes: Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride of Silence

The best way to describe the Ride of SIlence is from our organizers in Columbus OH, who put together this Public Servic Announement a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be