Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Advice on a new bike - haven't had a bike in 17 yrs

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 08:21 AM
derick1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, i posted in the welcome thread.. but wanted to make a new post. I need help picking a decent bike.. and from what i've read.. even though most bikes have a limit you could exceed it by a little bit.. and be ok?

I know wheels and spokes make a big difference. So the following bikes are the ones i am interested in..

The bike i really wanted was Marin Muirwood RC but they don't have a L in stock.

I'm 5'11" and 275lbs (im down 20lbs since february.. yay! slowwww weight loss)

so i'm currently looking at

Priority Continuum Onyx - weight limit 275 - i really like that it has an alfine gear hub and gates carbon chain - LOW maintenance. and hydraulic brakes

Breezer Cafe - 300 - hydualic brakes is a good touch - This is the bike i'm currently thinking of biking.. the local bike store has a couple of the in 56 size in stock.

Felt Broam 30/40 - 300 - mechanical disk brakes - also drop bars which i don't know how i feel.. i want to a more up right riding position

Salsa Journeyman Sora - 355 (with gear) - mechanical disk brakes - same thing.. drop bar.. but weight limit puts me at ease.. not that i am planning to gain weight.

Giant Fastroad SL 3 - i love the style of the bike.. but i can't find the weight limit on giant's website. I don't know if the fastroad SL3 is a "condition 2" or "condition 1"
any opinion on these?

Last edited by derick1; 08-15-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 07:41 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Per their website, the SL2 and 3 have a weight limit of 305#.

"Cross-Country, Marathon, Hardtails Bicycles. This bike is designed for use on various terrain such as rough trails, small obstacles, and smooth technical areas, including areas where a momentary loss of tire contact with the ground may occur-not jumping. These bikes favor nimble speed over brute force. When used for their intended application there is a maximum weight limit of 305 lbs. It is never advised to continue to load the bicycle to its maximum capacity."

If it were me, which it is not, I would pop for the extra $100 for the SL2, to get the 9 spd, upgraded derailleurs, upgraded brakes, upgraded crankset, upgraded bottom bracket, upgraded shifters, etc. Nice Bike for the money! Plus, I love that blue color!

Last edited by Wanderer; 08-16-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 07:57 AM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Per their website, the SL2 and 3 have a weight limit of 305#.

"Cross-Country, Marathon, Hardtails Bicycles. This bike is designed for use on various terrain such as rough trails, small obstacles, and smooth technical areas, including areas where a momentary loss of tire contact with the ground may occur-not jumping. These bikes favor nimble speed over brute force. When used for their intended application there is a maximum weight limit of 305 lbs. It is never advised to continue to load the bicycle to its maximum capacity."
woah! that is really good news

thanks Wanderer glad to know SL3 is considered condition 3!

I would buy the SL2 but i don't see them on the giant's website. only offering for 2021 is the SL3 so far

Last edited by derick1; 08-16-20 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 01:03 PM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So a small update.. I ended up going with a Salsa Journeyman Sora flat bar.. a site i was looking at all of a sudden stocked it! I grabbed a size M.

i'm looking for saddles and other goodies to exchange on the bike.
Likes For derick1:
Old 08-23-20, 01:51 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by derick1
So a small update.. I ended up going with a Salsa Journeyman Sora flat bar.. a site i was looking at all of a sudden stocked it! I grabbed a size M.

i'm looking for saddles and other goodies to exchange on the bike.
Congratulations, that looks like a cool bike. I looked at them while shopping but didn't get the chance to try one.
Anyway, I started riding after decades away in March, a few of the helpful accessories for me so far are:
- Padded liner shorts. These were less expensive than bike shorts or bibs but still have padding. They helped, especially during the first rides.
- A small "tank" type bag on the top tube. I carry a spare innertube, bike multi-tool, patch kit, and tire levers in it. There's just enough room for my car key and a side pocket for my phone. It's not fancy, just an REI branded one.
- Mini-pump. It's a small hand pump that straps alongside the water bottle cage.
- Water bottle cage.
- Timber bell. It's a small bell that rings with bumps. You can adjust how far the clapper is down for how much it rings. It's especially been helpful when riding trails, as hikers and animals can hear me approaching. I initially got it thinking runners with earbuds would better hear me, but that hasn't been the case.
Likes For Sertsa:
Old 08-23-20, 02:12 PM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Congratulations, that looks like a cool bike. I looked at them while shopping but didn't get the chance to try one.
Anyway, I started riding after decades away in March, a few of the helpful accessories for me so far are:
- Padded liner shorts. These were less expensive than bike shorts or bibs but still have padding. They helped, especially during the first rides.
- A small "tank" type bag on the top tube. I carry a spare innertube, bike multi-tool, patch kit, and tire levers in it. There's just enough room for my car key and a side pocket for my phone. It's not fancy, just an REI branded one.
- Mini-pump. It's a small hand pump that straps alongside the water bottle cage.
- Water bottle cage.
- Timber bell. It's a small bell that rings with bumps. You can adjust how far the clapper is down for how much it rings. It's especially been helpful when riding trails, as hikers and animals can hear me approaching. I initially got it thinking runners with earbuds would better hear me, but that hasn't been the case.
sweet! thank you for the recommendations.

I will need to learn how to do everything. as i haven't had a bike since ~2004 and the last time i actually got on a bike was in 2013.

i plan on doing 5-10 miles.. if i can, everyday! i was looking at bibs.. but they look so tightt do you wear the padded shorts over regular shorts?
Likes For derick1:
Old 08-23-20, 03:52 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts

I will need to learn how to do everything. as i haven't had a bike since ~2004 and the last time i actually got on a bike was in 2013.

i plan on doing 5-10 miles.. if i can, everyday! i was looking at bibs.. but they look so tightt do you wear the padded shorts over regular shorts?
You're welcome. I hadn't ridden a real bike since the mid 1990s, although I spent some time on an exercise bike, especially last year.

Regarding the padded liners, they're underwear, and I wear regular track pants over them. (I tuck the track pants into socks so they don't get caught in the chain.) I'm a bit too self-conscious about scars to wear shorts. Anyway, the liners are tight but stretchy, so they're comfortable. From what I understand, you don't wear anything under chamois padding, whichever form you choose, to prevent chaffing.

The 5-10 miles daily or near daily is about where I started, although it was closer to five at first. Recently I've been averaging about 15 miles a day, especially on wooded trails, and also getting in longer rides weekly. Yesterday I did my first 50km/31mile ride on a rail trail.

Speaking of which, I usually opt for a rail trail on the weekends, as the wooded trails near me are now very busy. The bell helps, but I have to be especially careful of unleashed dogs and people on horseback when rounding corners and the like. I've also found some less-popular parks with bike trails. (The rail trails are still quite busy, but the paths have long sight-lines, keeping distance is easier, and everyone is expecting to see cyclists.)
Old 08-23-20, 07:52 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

Bib shorts are actually looser than regular cycling shorts because the bib straps hold them up. They are more comfortable than regular shorts. The bib shorts have a chamois in them and are designed to be worn without underwear, you can wear another pair of shorts over them but don't need to.
Old 09-02-20, 02:28 PM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
That looks like a great bike!