Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

MTB that would hold a 350+ man

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-26-20, 05:30 PM
Texas_SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I’m looking at getting a MTB to help me lose weight, I am current under 360 pounds and would only ride the bike on paved streets until I lost more weight. Then eventually going to trails.

I was looking at a trek marlin 5 or maybe a trek Farley, but the weight limits say 300 pounds. Do y’all think it’ll be fine for now while using it on the streets?

Thanks, I am new to all this and want to make a lifestyle change.
Old 08-26-20, 05:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Check this similar thread https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-lb-rider.html and his numerous subsequent threads. Seriously, bikes may be hard to find right now. You might be better off walking for awhile, get down to a weight appropriate for the bike you want.
Old 08-27-20, 04:11 PM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_SS
I’m looking at getting a MTB to help me lose weight, I am current under 360 pounds and would only ride the bike on paved streets until I lost more weight. Then eventually going to trails.

I was looking at a trek marlin 5 or maybe a trek Farley, but the weight limits say 300 pounds. Do y’all think it’ll be fine for now while using it on the streets?

Though you WILL find some fantastic information from some fantastic members by clicking this link, I would not listen to shelbyfv, the somewhat antagonistic mayor and sheriff of BF, about walking INSTEAD of biking. Also, your inquiry was more specific than mine, since you know you want a MTB.

Last edited by taylorgeo; 08-27-20 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 08-27-20, 06:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Got a bike yet taylor? Tex, I stand by the walking suggestion. If the other poster had been walking during these months he's been nattering about a bike in the sky, his weight limit concerns might have melted away.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-27-20 at 06:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-30-20, 09:58 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I'm not going to get in the mix between those two^^^

But to the O/P: I'm somewhere between 300 and 350 (haven't weighed in about five months); at my heaviest I was 360.

I'm just riding around on a steel Ragley mountain frame with decent parts hung from it including a Mavic downhill wheel out back - actually cracked the original wheel in half, so went with a stronger piece just to hold my fat ass. Breakage might happen but it isn't the end of the world. Consider a break a chance to upgrade! Find yourself a halfway decent USED steel mountain frames and stick to paved roads and gravel type rail trails for a while. Once you lighten up, you can try some pump tracks and mountain stuff (I've done it even over 300#).

I just did 50 miles today on this disasterpiece:

That's my third half-century of the year and all have been closer to 350#.
Don't wait to get under 300.
Get a bike, and get on it. What's the worst that could happen? You break it? Big deal. Fix it with stronger parts and keep on riding.
Start at 1 mile and increase gradually.
Walking sucks.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 08-31-20, 06:32 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I'm not going to get in the mix between those two^^^

But to the O/P: I'm somewhere between 300 and 350 (haven't weighed in about five months); at my heaviest I was 360.

I'm just riding around on a steel Ragley mountain frame with decent parts hung from it including a Mavic downhill wheel out back - actually cracked the original wheel in half, so went with a stronger piece just to hold my fat ass. Breakage might happen but it isn't the end of the world. Consider a break a chance to upgrade! Find yourself a halfway decent USED steel mountain frames and stick to paved roads and gravel type rail trails for a while. Once you lighten up, you can try some pump tracks and mountain stuff (I've done it even over 300#).

I just did 50 miles today on this disasterpiece:

That's my third half-century of the year and all have been closer to 350#.
Don't wait to get under 300.
Get a bike, and get on it. What's the worst that could happen? You break it? Big deal. Fix it with stronger parts and keep on riding.
Start at 1 mile and increase gradually.
Walking sucks.
Cool bike! A few questions, if you don't mind:

What kind of seatpost is that? Two-bolt?
Thru-axle on the front fork?
Tire size/width?
And how's the standover height?

Again, very cool bike!
Old 08-31-20, 06:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

As Adam has experienced, it's generally the rear wheel that lets go if you load the bike over the limit. If you understand this going in and are prepared to replace it if/when it happens it might be worth taking a chance. However, there is no way of actually knowing what the weak part of any given bike is. You'll be buying a new bike with no expectation of warranty if you break something.
Old 08-31-20, 08:18 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Max weight limits by wheel spoke count.

24 spoke front: 242lbs rear: 198lbs
28 spoke front and rear: 242lbs
32 spoke front and rear: 264lbs
36 spoke front and rear: 308lbs
weight limits including rider, bike, gear and luggage.
From a manufacturer hand book.

is there any wiggle room in weight limits...from a warranty stand point, probably not.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-31-20, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trek 820 have been steel for decades , fit a non suspension fork on it >'suspension corrected' keeps the head angle as designed..
Old 08-31-20, 11:17 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Cool bike! A few questions, if you don't mind:

What kind of seatpost is that? Two-bolt?
Thru-axle on the front fork?
Tire size/width?
And how's the standover height?

Again, very cool bike!
Thanks for the compliment!

One bolt post, quick release up front, 30.3” standover height, 26x2.1 tire. I’ve never been asked some of these questions so I’m not sure the right way to answer or if more info is desired. Ha. If you want more details I’m happy to provide as best I can.

I have my B17 saddle a bit higher compared to how it was fit for me from the shop.
Old 08-31-20, 12:04 PM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
Thanks for the compliment!

One bolt post, quick release up front, 30.3” standover height, 26x2.1 tire. I’ve never been asked some of these questions so I’m not sure the right way to answer or if more info is desired. Ha. If you want more details I’m happy to provide as best I can.

I have my B17 saddle a bit higher compared to how it was fit for me from the shop.
You've answered them perfectly, thanks! This is a great forum to learn. Was just curious, when you're standing over the bar, how many inches of clearance do you have?
Old 08-31-20, 02:38 PM
a_d_a_m

You've answered them perfectly, thanks! This is a great forum to learn. Was just curious, when you're standing over the bar, how many inches of clearance do you have?
I have maybe .002” clearance in padded shorts. In plain clothes...I need to be on tiptoes or stand one foot on the ground and one still up on the pedal.

My shoes (I don’t clip) give me JUST enough height so I’m not smushing anything when I’m wearing bike shorts, though.

I wear Adidas Super Skate shoes when I ride.
Old 08-31-20, 03:17 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
I'm 5 ft 5 inches tall, with a 29" inseem. 50cm road frame with a horizontal top tube 1 inch clearance.
Compact road frame 50cm sloping top tube 3 inches clearance.
MTB 17 inch frame, 3 inches clearance. All with cycling shoes on.
Old 09-05-20, 09:53 AM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Raleigh mountain bike with an aluminum frame that I have had for many years. I have replaced spokes on the rear wheel twice in 20 years of ownership. A good solid bike will hold up. If not upgrade the wheels so they hold up. The bigger problem is finding a bike with the shortage.
Old 09-05-20, 10:45 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I know you’re looking at mountain bikes , but you might consider a multi speed beach cruiser to get started riding .
I like Electra bikes .
The Electra 7d is a steel frame bike that’s built like a tank . 36 spoke wheels and 26x2.1” Tires .
Old 09-10-20, 06:01 PM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by kirby999
I know you’re looking at mountain bikes , but you might consider a multi speed beach cruiser to get started riding .
I like Electra bikes .
The Electra 7d is a steel frame bike that’s built like a tank . 36 spoke wheels and 26x2.1” Tires .
I'm actually going to try one out tomorrow. Are the handlebars awkward? Seems like it would be easy to lose control of the bike.
Old 01-23-21, 10:18 AM
jk95

Bikes: 2021 Jamis Coda S2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_SS

OP, did you manage to find a suitable bike ?
Old 01-23-21, 11:47 AM
Texas_SS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jk95
OP, did you manage to find a suitable bike ?
yes i did I went with a trek Roscoe 7 and it holds me well. Thanks!
Likes For Texas_SS:
Old 01-25-21, 10:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Seems like a fine

choice. The 27.5+ should give you confidence. Good looking bike as well!