Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Weight of paint

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Weight of paint

Old 09-30-20, 06:23 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Weight of paint

TIG welded Reynolds 631 .8/.5/.8 with road stays (Reynolds 525) in about a 51.5cm TT length, no paint: 1600g.
After spray.bike primer and top coat: 1620g
After 2K clear: still 1620g.

So the paint weighs 20g.
Old 09-30-20, 02:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
where did you get that weightless clear? You think maybe the color coats kept outgassing?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-30-20, 02:35 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
where did you get that weightless clear? You think maybe the color coats kept outgassing?
That's a good theory but It weighed 1620g just before I put the clear on after it had been outgassing in the kitchen for about a week. So it is weird how the clear is apparently weightless. It's not like I didn't put it on pretty thick.

The scales are only legible in about 10g increments so it might be 5g or so.
​​​​
Maybe most of the weight was the primer because of the zinc in it? I should have weighed it after the primer as well but I tend to put the colour on after only about half an hour and I don't want to be messing about weighing it unnecessarily at that point.

Last edited by guy153; 09-30-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 06:15 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I weighed my last frame before and after paint and was surprised by how little the paint weighed. It was more than 20 grams though (28g = 1oz.) I can't remember exactly but seem to think it was something between 2-3 oz.
Old 09-30-20, 09:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Years ago I watched a TV show talk about how NASA was trying to make their rockets have a bright and visible presence without the weight of paint. Seems it was harder then most would think.
Seems to me that the weight of car racked fly goop or bladder fill is more important to our riding then paint weight. Andy