Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

BB shell scoring

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

BB shell scoring

Old 10-13-20, 07:53 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
BB shell scoring

I’ve found one of my grail bikes, what I believe to be a Fishlips Cycles Toxic Tuna in OXIII steel from the early 90’s:

On stripping it down preparatory to a resto-mod, I noticed some scoring on the BB shell, possibly from a dropped chain, possibly from some ham-fisted pipe wrench wielding moron, possibly inner chainring related:

As this is a grail bike for me, and extremely rare, how concerned should I be about this? It will eventually be kitted out with some 952 XTR, rigid fork of appropriate length (410mm), and do some duty off road but probably not too harsh. I’m a 200 pound, slow has been who doesn’t really put down a ton of power...

So if this is a concern, how to address it? Clean it up and fill with braze? Silver solder? TIG and grind smooth? Any and all input is appreciated!
Old 10-13-20, 08:17 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Ignore it. I've seen worse. It's not going to cause trouble.

If you ever repaint the bike, then maybe fill it in at that time, but that would be for aesthetic reasons only. Short of a full repaint, smoothing it a bit and touching up just the BB shell area would be pretty do-able, since it's just black, easy to color-match.

It is weird though. Doesn't look like a dropped chain could have done that. Might have to remain a mystery unless you can ask the DAPO (dumb-ass previous owner) who did it.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-14-20, 06:30 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Thank you Bulgie, your opinion means alot. I've seen the work you do here - very nice work. I do want to PC the frame and apply new decals. You know, the full monte on it. Probably smooth it out and go on my way...
Old 10-14-20, 07:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
If one had to choose a part of a frame to dig a trench in it might best be the BB shell. I agree with Mark. Andy
Old 10-16-20, 07:59 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
If that new paint job is going to be a while off I'd seal off the exposed metal to reduce corrosion creep. I recently did a repair on my daily beater and was surprised to see how much rust there was under the paint, particularly on the bottom bracket. Sweat salt likes to collect there and do it's thing.