Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do I need to put inline adjuster for RD without adjuster?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-21-20, 09:01 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Or do I use only the adjuster at the shifter?

I notice new RDs do not have adjusters. Do I put an inline adjuster somewhere after the cable stop or do I not need that and use only the adjuster on the shifter?
Old 10-21-20, 09:09 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Regardless of what is on the shifter or the der., I find in-line adjusters to be convenient and a worthwhile item to have so when I replace cables i put them on if they are not there already. Location depends but before the cable stop. I even have them on my dedicated indoor trainer bike.
Old 10-21-20, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
The ability to adjust cable "tension" (actually the casing length...) is essential to fine tune the shifter/rear der relationship. Having a back up or second device to do this isn't wrong. Those who say otherwise have likely never faced the situation when their one device was unable to work and something had happened to make the adjusting need vital to continuing their ride. At work we see this loss of an adjuster's ability to work fairly often. usually from neglect (corrosion causing the threading to freeze up) and sometimes from an incident. But it has been fashionable to reduce the bike to the least needed (and sometimes less...) in search of either least cost or weight. Andy
Old 10-21-20, 11:12 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
Or do I use only the adjuster at the shifter?

I notice new RDs do not have adjusters. Do I put an inline adjuster somewhere after the cable stop or do I not need that and use only the adjuster on the shifter?
Maximizing your adjustment capability will make your life easier. I have adjusters at both the head tube stops and at the RD, and I use them both.
Old 10-22-20, 05:46 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
... usually from neglect (corrosion causing the threading to freeze up) and sometimes from an incident. But it has been fashionable to reduce the bike to the least needed (and sometimes less...) in search of either least cost or weight. Andy
The more complex our system, the more sources there are for failure. Since we can never predict all failures, it can help to minimise the sources of risk by simplifying the system.

Many decades ago I had a lighter and some flame-meltable solder in my on-bike toolkit. So there I was half way up a mountain in the Alps and the nipple came off a cable at the lever end. Yes, I was able to solder it on and get home, but no number of adjusters would have saved me from that failure. That is the nature of risk and preparation.
Old 10-22-20, 07:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Might depend on two questions.
  • How often do you need to adjust your DR? I put inline adjusters on my two builds and only used them maybe one handful of times in ten years. If you aren't so savvy about setting up your DR's then they will help. Or at least let you believe you are doing something.
  • You have an adjuster on the shifter? Do you mean derailleur? Shifter is on the handlebar or downtube. If it is on the shifter, do you need another adjuster?
Old 10-22-20, 09:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
The more complex our system, the more sources there are for failure. Since we can never predict all failures, it can help to minimise the sources of risk by simplifying the system.

Many decades ago I had a lighter and some flame-meltable solder in my on-bike toolkit. So there I was half way up a mountain in the Alps and the nipple came off a cable at the lever end. Yes, I was able to solder it on and get home, but no number of adjusters would have saved me from that failure. That is the nature of risk and preparation.
I've tied knots in a cable to emulate a cable end and then used the adjuster to fine tune der position for a couple of riders over the years. But never resoldered an end back on. Andy
Old 10-23-20, 08:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
If you go the route of adding an inline adjuster, be sure and put a good quality one. In setting up my touring bike some years back with a rd without one and shifters that didn't either, I made the mistake of using a low quality inline one, and had ghost shifting issues that I kept thinking were related to my genevalle shifters.
once I figured it out, and put in a good one , all was fine.

also be sure to place it so the housing won't force the adjuster if the housing shifts down a bit and then if the bars swing, can force and kink it. I've had this happen once, full handle bar bag not helping with extra force. Learned my lesson with that also but will change it only when I change housings one day.
Old 10-23-20, 08:55 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
That you have an adjuster at the shifter should be enough. Make sure you have all the slack out before using it.
Old 10-23-20, 09:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
An indexed shifting system needs at least one adjuster to effectively tune shifting performance. More than one adjuster gives you more adjustment range without having to manually take up cable slack at the anchor bolt, but as Andrew notes, at the cost of increased complexity.

A friction shifting system doesn't really need any cable adjuster.
Old 10-23-20, 08:55 PM
jsdavis

Originally Posted by djb
If you go the route of adding an inline adjuster, be sure and put a good quality one. In setting up my touring bike some years back with a rd without one and shifters that didn't either, I made the mistake of using a low quality inline one, and had ghost shifting issues that I kept thinking were related to my genevalle shifters.
once I figured it out, and put in a good one , all was fine.

also be sure to place it so the housing won't force the adjuster if the housing shifts down a bit and then if the bars swing, can force and kink it. I've had this happen once, full handle bar bag not helping with extra force. Learned my lesson with that also but will change it only when I change housings one day.
My SLX 9sp shifter has an adjuster and I have a couple Jagwire metal inline adjusters. I was going to put it about 50-70mm rearward of the chainstay cable stop.
Old 10-25-20, 05:43 AM
djb

Originally Posted by jsdavis
My SLX 9sp shifter has an adjuster and I have a couple Jagwire metal inline adjusters. I was going to put it about 50-70mm rearward of the chainstay cable stop.
I expect the real mechanics here would have a better opinion, but wouldn't it be better to be in a higher up, not horizontal position for less rain entrance? Don't forget too it rubbing against frame?
Old 10-25-20, 08:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I’ve used Jagwire Direct Sport adjusters at the rear derailleur and shifters. They were designed to fit into Shimano STI shifters with the external cable routing.

I picked them up for some thumb shifters so I could have a bit of an adjustment and they worked great. What was better was that they fit into one of the Shimano mtb RD that wasn’t mfg with one. They would not be my first choice for an area with little clearance for the larger barrel.

I’m not a mechanic, but rain is not an issue. Most Shimano RD had adjusters and picked up all sorts of water. Admittedly, some mtb ones had a boot, which I never used.

Multiple adjuster are great. Having one on the shifters or at the head/down tube allows for tweaks while riding. An adjuster at/close to the RD makes it easier to fine tune it, rather than reaching forward while turning the pedals by hand.

John
Old 10-25-20, 08:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I'll suggest that if you have more than one adjuster, bottom out whichever is least convenient. The ones on the RD have stops but many others have a tendency to creep. If you have to live with a creeper you can use a dab of paint as a telltale.
Old 10-25-20, 08:16 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
If you go the route of adding an inline adjuster, be sure and put a good quality one....
Ditto. My "new" bike also has Jagwire inline adjusters just forward of the head tube, and the next time I recable the bike they're coming out. In my opinion, the only reason for them is to be able to fine tune while riding. If I try that with these adjusters, I have shifting problems until I can bottom them out and adjust at the RD.

I won't replace them. My cycling isn't so competitive or critical that I can't stop for 10 seconds and tweak the rear adjuster once a month or so. With that in mind, if I had shifters with adjusters, I'd be okay with not having a second adjuster. Probably saves a few dollars and won't affect my cycling.

I also heard somewhere never to "tighten" the cable under tension with in-line adjusters. They're likely to strip. I certainly believe that of the ones I have.
Old 10-25-20, 08:20 AM
djb

Re adjusting while riding. Yes it's nice, both my drop bar bikes have this ability, but my experience shows that it's so rare to have to adjust, it's not a big deal. Once settled, my bikes go years without any adjustment, and I have learned the lesson that when adjustments are needed down the road, it's usually the sign of hidden fraying,so time to change a cable.

re rain, I was just thinking it would be better with an inline one with two housing cuts to have it either less horizontal or a less splashy location, but could be totally wrong on that.
Old 10-25-20, 11:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Life is easier if you have at least one adjuster, either on the RD, or on the shifter. If you have neither, I would say an inline adjuster would be a good idea.
Old 10-25-20, 12:01 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I don't think there is a RD made without a tension adjuster.
Old 10-25-20, 12:33 PM
djb

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I don't think there is a RD made without a tension adjuster.
I would have thought the same until I changed the setup on my XT equipped bike to dropbars and saw that the XT rd didnt have one.
Old 10-25-20, 12:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I would have thought the same until I changed the setup on my XT equipped bike to dropbars and saw that the XT rd didnt have one.
The Shimano mt. groups seem to have the cable tension adjustment on the trigger shifter, thus not on the R derailer. The road rear derailers, Ultegra to Claris all have barrel adjusters
Old 10-25-20, 12:48 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The Shimano mt. groups seem to have the cable tension adjustment on the trigger shifter, thus not on the R derailer. The road rear derailers, Ultegra to Claris all have barrel adjusters
indeedee, and up until about 4 years ago, I had no idea.
Old 10-25-20, 03:06 PM
jsdavis

Shimano and Sram do not have adjusters on many of their MTB RDs now. Most if not all Shimano shadow style RDs do not have adjusters. Even some 10 years old 9sp RDs don't have them like M772 or M592.

Yea - dirt and water are a concern. My thought was to put one along the chainstay to replicate the adjuster that used to be on the RD since newer ones dont' have it anymore. On my bike the cable is open along the down tube and most of the chainstay; the only covered parts are about 100mm along the chain stay to the RD and from shifter to under the downtube.

Last edited by jsdavis; 10-25-20 at 03:13 PM.