Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mongoose Dolomite Blue Paint.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 10:22 AM
Motorized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Navigating this forum, like most forums, is a nightmare. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can duplicate the Mongoose Dolomite blue paint found on the rims of the blue Dolomite. Is the color formula available online somewhere? Has anyone had any luck replicating it? Any known paint manufacturer's color chips that seem correct? Thanks!

Last edited by Motorized; 10-22-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-22-20, 03:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Navigating this forum is quite easy sometimes if you are brand new and not interested in the forum then it will be tough but if you take a minute you will navigate it more easily.

The Wally mart bike? You could ask Mongoose? That would be my first step beyond that I doubt the color formula or anything is available it is a bike from Wally-mart they probably expect the thing to be broken before someone worries about paint but they might know. You could also take the wheel to a nail salon and see if they can help match it, that is no joke. Nail Polish tends to be the best touch up paint.
Old 10-23-20, 02:17 AM
Rigsson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorized
Navigating this forum, like most forums, is a nightmare. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can duplicate the Mongoose Dolomite blue paint found on the rims of the blue Dolomite. Is the color formula available online somewhere? Has anyone had any luck replicating it? Any known paint manufacturer's color chips that seem correct? Thanks!
If Mongoose can't help you, try going to a paint store, home depot, lowes, etc. that does custom paint colors. They should be able to sample the paint to get cmyk or lab (whichever you prefer) values to make a fairly close match.
Likes For Rigsson:
Old 10-23-20, 07:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigsson
If Mongoose can't help you, try going to a paint store, home depot, lowes, etc. that does custom paint colors. They should be able to sample the paint to get cmyk or lab (whichever you prefer) values to make a fairly close match.
I suggested the same thing on another thread. After I hit a deer with my pickup a few years back which dented in my front right fender, we bought a new fender and were going to have a family friend paint it for us. To get the right color of paint, we went to a paint shop where they had a device they put on the painted surface and it somehow reads the paint to give the formula to match the exact color. Of course this might be an expensive option for a Walmart Mongoose bike, depending on how much paint you intend to buy. I'm not sure what the OP plans on painting, whether touching up the wheels or painting the whole bike that color.
Old 10-23-20, 08:20 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
How to get you some bicycle community cred:

Vintage steel road bikes, CF frames= keep showroom perfect.

Mountain Bikes, BMX, Fat, Gravel, Urban Commuter= the more banged up the better. Ride until the wheels literally fall off. Start a collection of on-frame mud, inventory the scratches and dents. Every one of them tells a story.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-25-20, 12:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
+1 for nail polish. FWIW, I didn't have good luck with Lowe's paint matching. I took a frame in, they scanned it and mixed the paint. It wasn't even close. The guy could see that and apologized but I still had to pay for a quart of paint that didn't match.