Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

True cycling shoe for flat pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

True cycling shoe for flat pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 08:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Suure. And you stand up on that weird bike of yours too. And in headwinds, because according to you, going into a 60 kph headwind is best done standing up.

You're the bloke who had a bike a short while while you were 16 and recently got into cycling, now thinking you know better than everyone else and that you can somehow overcome physics.

Let me repeat to anyone reading this: Do not ride a bike in flip-flops regardless of what this bloke says.

It's best not to respond to trolls.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-26-20, 08:46 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I have a road bike now. There are flip flops that are quite slippery when wet but the ones I got are quite grippy even if soaking wet in strong rain.

You'll notice the surface has wavy lines like the sipes in the soles of boat shoes. I think the purpose is the same for good grip in wet conditions and does the job really well

And here's the new road bike I now use for hauling cargo and training and maybe even for racing in the future. It is brand new....I simply painted it rust brown and rust orange in parts to make it look very old to deter thieves!

Ah, a new bike also used for 60kph headwinds.

Siping is simply not good enough.
Old 10-26-20, 08:46 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's best not to respond to trolls.
Damn, too late!
Old 10-27-20, 06:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would STRONLY recommend starting with a larger pedal. A larger platform is just as important as a stiff sole (which is actually rare in cycling specific flat pedal shoes). Flat pedals have come a LONG way in the past few years.

I’ve tried a few different pedals (RF Chester, DMR V8, Chromag Synth, Kona Wha Wha 2, Diety TMAC, Diety Deftrap and a few other off-brands)

Of all of them, the Kona Wha Wha 2, the Diety TMAC, and the Diety Deftrap are the biggest and IMO the best. The Wha Wha and the Deftraps are both around $50-60. Composite bodies with steel pins. The Deftraps (and TMACs) do not have beveled edges, and thus extend back farther and thus feel bigger than most pedals of similar size with the more standard beveled edges.

I think the Deftrap may be the best pedal for the money out there right now.

As far as flat- specific shoes.... if you’re looking for stiff souls, be prepared to be mostly disappointed, Only the stiffest ones out there have a sole stiffness much different than sneakers. The stiffest I have tried (Five Ten Impact Pro, and Northwave Clan... which are two of the stiffest made) are about on par with a pair of light hiking shoes I have. The difference is the soles of the Clans and Impacts are far, far more more grippy.

i have a pair of Ride Concept Hellions which are considered on the stiff side (thiugh not as stiff as the Clans or Impacts mentioned above), and while I like them fine for mountain biking, I find them too soft for extended pedaling like on my gravel/road bike.

The upside of the softer sole is that it gives you a better “feel” for the pedals and bike. This is great for MTB, but makes little sense to me on paved or gravel roads.

So, even after buying this Hellions, I went back to my Teva hiking shoes on the non-MTBs. I appreciate the stiffness, and the grip on quality pedals is more than fine for that application. The lugs are worn nearly smooth, so they grip the petal pins quite well.

Hiking shoes often have a stiff shank under the arch of the foot, and I find that helps a lot.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-27-20 at 06:32 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 06:34 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

He knows I'm not a troll. You and CargoDane watch my video demo that flip flops foot wear is actually very good to use in a road bike... This is not theory but actual experience I'm out of the saddle most of the time in the video over the poor quality and very bumpy roads of Manila, Philippines and the "Dragon" flip flops didn't slip even by just a tiny bit.

Note, I'm not shaking my butt across the bike. It appears that way because the camera is mounted firmly in the bike via the rack. I'm actually keeping still as possible while shaking my bike left and right when out of the saddle. And also pardon me for the shaky video. I used a relatively old phone and images get really distorted with all the motion going on, worsened by the bumpy roads of Manila.

I'm mostly in the drops in the video with elbows bent even if I'm out of the saddle to keep low and maintain good aero. We still have nasty headwinds (you'll hear in the video) from the recent typhoon.

Enjoy the video and the bumpy and chaotic streets of Manila....And heads up for the squealing brakes!! It's very loud!! I've not bedded it yet....But I actually think the loud brake is quite helpful in warning everyone on the road of my presence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVL0pkZVamY
The still photo on that video shows that your heel is outside the shoe. So much for "siping".
The rest of your post is just more of your nonsense.

Again, people reading this: Do not take advise from this guy about shoes, standing up while battling 60 kph headwinds, or whatever else nonsense he tries to peddle.

You're right, I probably don't consider you a true troll. I consider you more like someone who really hadn't cycled before, and then buying a too small a bicycle, setting it up so it wasn't good to ride at all without knowing what you were doing, and only within the last week buying a bike that could in principle be set up properly. And I consider you as someone who will not listen to even the most basic common sense, because while knowing very little, you already know it all (look up Dunning-Kruger).

As for your "squeeky brakes" being a warning: Well, the noise your hear is the brakes not working well, and while they do that, they produce heat. It takes 20 minutes max to break in brakes. Another thing you really don't know how and when to do. Now you probably have to scrub and rough up the rotors and use sandpaper on your pads and clean with alcohol. A lot of extra work.

The roads of manila looks like many roads around the world. I too lift my butt over holes and use my legs as suspension. You haven't invented something new. People who ride bikes for even short periods learn to do this very quickly by their own accord. It's simply more comfortable and provides more control. Although I do it mostly to protect my wheels.

I can't actually hear how much wind there is. It depends on the microphone and the placement. If I take out my phone while going 5-6 mph (10 kph or so), it will sound like I'm in a storm. I used to do radio, you can't judge wind strength by some cheap, unprotected microphone outdoors.
But again, even with this, you talk as if there is no wind anywhere else in the world, but that you have sussed it out, cheating physics and all.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-27-20 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added quite a bit
Old 10-27-20, 07:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

You did watch the video didn't you?
So here I am, providing 18 minute video proof that flip flops footwear work really well (even when I'm hammering like Marco Pantani in Giro d'Italia) and you still accuse me of nonsense?

Well clearly if you can do something without calamity for 18 minutes it must be a good idea
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 07:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Suure. And you stand up on that weird bike of yours too. And in headwinds, because according to you, going into a 60 kph headwind is best done standing up.

You're the bloke who had a bike a short while while you were 16 and recently got into cycling, now thinking you know better than everyone else and that you can somehow overcome physics.

Let me repeat to anyone reading this: Do not ride a bike in flip-flops regardless of what this bloke says.
I commute all summer in flip flops

Last edited by Germany_chris; 10-27-20 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-27-20, 08:44 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You did watch the video didn't you?
So here I am, providing 18 minute video proof that flip flops footwear work really well (even when I'm hammering like Marco Pantani in Giro d'Italia) and you still accuse me of nonsense?

Dragon flip flops are so good, I'll only use shoes if it's very cold out or if I need to walk or run a good distance mid-ride.
Why would I watch a whole 18 minute of some bloke riding a bike on the streets? I watched a few bits here and there. Seriously stupid. Good for you that you didn't get hurt. Should I post hour long videos of people riding a motorcycle in t-shirts, flip-flops, and helmetless, and then claim it somehow proves it is safe?
Or that the rest of the nonsense you spew is true because you managed to video yourself riding a bike for 18 minutes?

And this is the second time you compare yourself to a professional bike rider. The first time - on your old bike - you compared yourself to Cavendish, this time it's Pantani.
Since you're so infatuated with those riders, maybe look at their footwear and you will notice that it's pretty tight. And, no, you still need to look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I commute all summer in flip flops
Good for you. See my above comment about riding a motorcycle helmetless in a tee-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops.
Old 10-27-20, 08:49 AM
k3lavine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently purchased a set of Five Ten Freeriders and have been very happy with them. Comfortable and they give me more stability on the pedals.
Old 10-27-20, 08:55 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by k3lavine
I recently purchased a set of Five Ten Freeriders and have been very happy with them. Comfortable and they give me more stability on the pedals.
I was looking at them when they first got brought up too, I need to replace my Vans and they look as good as anything else in that price range.
Old 10-27-20, 09:12 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Almost 2000 miles in total, riding in flip flops. Of course, the rest I don't have in video.

I've tried so many kinds of footwear already and only 1 shoe measured up in terms of pedal stability for me and I think it was a Vans branded shoe that is made out of denim material. I think the problem with most shoes is too much padding on the soles or with soles too thick to provide stable footing for cycling. Vans shoes tend to have little padding with thin, wide, and firm soles which is terrific for stability on the pedals.

Sandals also tend to be good because of thin and firm sole with little padding. Some "driving" shoes are also good if the soles are wide enough as many tend to have narrow soles.

Unless the temperature dips below 60 F, I'll wear flip flops. They're also good in the rain provided the top tread design gives good wet grip. It's difficult to dry wet shoes but flip flops, no problem!
​​​​​​
Haha, almost 2000 miles. I take it that is in addition to that short period you had a bike when you were 16. Pantani and Cavendish indeed.

I notice that you don't want to walk in flip-flops, even though you claim the siping provides al the grip you want.

And what's with the "soles to thick to provide stable footing for cycling"? Am I reading this correctly: Do you grip the pedal with your toes and that's why you need the sole to be thin? If you do, you must have very small "platform" pedals (i.e. not actual platform pedals).

But, boy, 2000 miles all-up. What an expert we have here, folks!

I sweat a lot, so I use sandals in the summer and shoulder seasons (a new thing for me, wearing sandals - has only happened after the amputation). And truth be told, they're not as great as tight shoes but more comfortable. And good enough.

However, I have sandals that can be tightened somewhat, has a heel strap, AND has a toe cap. Those are all features that I consider a must. I bought them with as flat as sole as possible, but that is because of my prosthetic foot so I don't have to adjust it (the foot) constantly and maybe get it wrong so it chafes on my leg. Anyway, 2000 miles, people!
​​​​​​​
Old 10-27-20, 09:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Almost 2000 miles in total, riding in flip flops. Of course, the rest I don't have in video.

I've tried so many kinds of footwear already and only 1 shoe measured up in terms of pedal stability for me and I think it was a Vans branded shoe that is made out of denim material. I think the problem with most shoes is too much padding on the soles or with soles too thick to provide stable footing for cycling. Vans shoes tend to have little padding with thin, wide, and firm soles which is terrific for stability on the pedals.

Sandals also tend to be good because of thin and firm sole with little padding. Some "driving" shoes are also good if the soles are wide enough as many tend to have narrow soles.

Unless the temperature dips below 60 F, I'll wear flip flops. They're also good in the rain provided the top tread design gives good wet grip. It's difficult to dry wet shoes but flip flops, no problem!
This guy uses flip flops for stability.....

Good lord, you just can’t make this stuff up.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 09:37 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Lots of good suggestions from many of you and no, I’m not interested in wearing sandals/ flip flops as I want my feet protected as much as possible. And I really didn’t appreciate the **** show a few of you decided to turn my thread into over that subject. That particular response would have died quickly enough if just ignored.
Old 10-27-20, 10:07 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I use blackspire Sub Four pedals. They're big, and I'm really happy with them.
Earlier this year in an attempt to cope with heat better, I bought some Keen Clearwater CNX sandals in leather. The sole of the sandals is really thin, so I worried about the pins of the pedals creating sore spots, but they don't. It's plenty thick enough to protect my feet as well as for the pins to dig in and create grip.

Pedals (mine are black, but it's easier to see in this colour).

The reason for very flat insole in these (for me) is that I have a prosthetic lower left leg, and in order to have my foot adjusted so I can walk with it without shoes and with shoes without having to adjust the foot angle every time.
But anyway, I much prefer this on the actual, flesh and bone foot.
My first ever mountain bike (hardtail) is scheduled for delivery in January. So, here I am, on there forums researching shoe preferences. I love Keen sandals for hiking and never considered using them with flat pedals. Though, it will be too cold in January, once warmer temps arrive in May, I will definitely give my sandals a try. Question: Do you wear socks with them while biking help reduce blisters?
Likes For metz1295:
Old 10-27-20, 11:32 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by metz1295
My first ever mountain bike (hardtail) is scheduled for delivery in January. So, here I am, on there forums researching shoe preferences. I love Keen sandals for hiking and never considered using them with flat pedals. Though, it will be too cold in January, once warmer temps arrive in May, I will definitely give my sandals a try. Question: Do you wear socks with them while biking help reduce blisters?
Yes, I use reasonably thick merino short socks - also to stop them beginning to smell. Only on the right (real) foot, though. Nothing on the left (prosthetic).

The CNX is "waterproof" (it says so on the label, lol), what that means to me is that they can deal with rain and a trip through the washer. I swapped out the elastic tightener for some polyester-covered Dyneema so I can actually tighten them a little bit. Getting the polyester cover is key so it doesn't slip in the "buckle".

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-27-20 at 11:51 AM. Reason: covered => cover
Old 10-27-20, 11:47 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Most of my route doesn't have bike lanes so we mingle with vehicular traffic. We really don't have a choice but to adapt. Learn to have 100% situational awareness on the streets at all times until it becomes 2nd nature. I've done almost 2000 miles now riding in such conditions and often even worse but thankfully, nothing more than minor incidents, usually when dealing with kerb at low speed but nothing involving other vehicles nor pedestrians. I have yet to learn how to bunny hop.
There's a lot of things you have "yet to learn".
You do realise that many of us on these forums have been riding bikes for decades, right? I personally am closing in 4 1/5 decades of bicycle riding. Most of us know what it takes to ride in a city without bike lanes.

I wouldn't wear anything that I feel is unsafe.
Your opinion on what constitutes "safe" has very little weight, considering you have done a whole 2000 miles in your life, apart from that "period when [you were] 16" where you had a bike. And that it's only been or week or two since you moved to a bike that actually has the potential to fit you instead of that clown setup you had on your previous bike.

Flip flops gives me sure footing on the bike. It's not the same as for walking or running. Flip flops are terrible at those but ironically great for cycling.
No, they don't give you "sure footing". And, no they're not "great for cycling". Let me ask you again: Do you grip your pedals with your toes?

My current shoes for cycling are actually Nike branded shoes that I think is a driving shoe with thin and firm soles with thin padding which is great for pedal stability.
Who the hell cares about the brand!? It's flip-flops. If I buy some Ray Mears flip flops it doesn't mean I'm suddenly a survivalist or that they're great for trekking.
If my ride will include a long walk, I'll be using shoes. Especially shoes that are like Vans shoes in design.
I really don't care which design of shoes you use for walking.
]
When I was 13, I did around 1000 miles (almost 3000 miles total if including current period) on a 700c CX bike
Woopty-doo. I'm sure you said "16" in one of the other threads. Now it's "13"? I may be wrong, though. So 3000 miles. 1000 when you were 13 (or 16), and now 2000 on top. Wow, such an expert. I can see with all your choices - especially with your last bike and your constant comparisons to pro bicycle riders that you must be an expert.

, also in the city streets but different route that I do now. Also using flip flops. Ironically, the roads are a lot safer then. Lighter traffic, less motorcycles on the road and drivers are more calm.
How much on this new bike of yours?

One VERY important thing cyclists should pay attention when using shoes with laces, the knot should be as obscure and securely hidden as possible or they can get caught in the crank ring and chain.
Jesus H Christ, you're seriously thinking that people on this forum know even less than you! Have you so little idea that you think people don't know that shoe laces can go into/onto the chain ring? Have you looked up the Dunning-Kruger effect yet?
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-27-20, 12:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Okay, I'm done with the ignorance. Nothing can be gained.

Sorry about that, the rest of you guys/girls.
Old 10-27-20, 01:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Is it me, or is “Dunning-Kruger” trending hot all over the internet lately?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-27-20, 01:28 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is it me, or is “Dunning-Kruger” trending hot all over the internet lately?
Very much so!
Old 10-27-20, 06:28 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
... you flip flop advocates ought to give BEDROCK CAIRN a try. you can walk or ride around the world in them. lighter than Chaco's BUT if you want Chaco's try the new BANDED Z CLOUD for a nice firm sandal fit.... all that was hearsay but as for me, I have been riding with my industrial strength CATERPILLAR WORK OXFORDS which are secure and comfortable ......................................... 3 cheers for the BATA BULLET GUY

Old 10-27-20, 06:37 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Just sent a request to the moderator asking that my thread be killed, it has become embarrassing.
Old 10-27-20, 07:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Thread closed at OPs request

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.