Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PTFE chain lube - how does it work?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-25-20, 03:51 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

Hi,

I used for a few years the same spray "PTFE lube" for my road bike chain, with no issue. It looked like a normal very thin lube, which remained on the chain and got darker after each ride, but still kept the greasy and little viscous aspect of a lube until it needed cleanup (after around 1000 km).
Now I had to switch to another spray "PTFE lube" for chain, because I could not find the old one at the shop. The new one looks pretty similar when applied (very thin oil), but after 1-2 rides it looks like there is no oil remaining on the chain. When wiped by the hand, a substance like black soot remains on the fingers, a little bit sticky, but it is like the initial thin oil, with its little viscous aspect, totally disappeared. I also noticed that the drive train seems a little bit noisier.

How does it come? Did I get a bad chain lube? If not, then: which is the best? Because there is a visible difference between the two.

Thanks
Old 10-25-20, 04:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
That black "soot" is the worn metal from the chain. Any lube will exhibit the same phenomenon.
Old 10-25-20, 05:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Since you didn't post brand names it will be difficult for folks to guess which two lubes you are comparing. However, if only one of the two is available, comparison may be irrelevant. Why not start another thread and ask "What is the best chain lube?"
Old 10-25-20, 06:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There are several lubes containing PTFE. The main difference is the carrier/solvent/oil. Dry PTFE powder feels slick and a bit soapy.

Tri-Flow is the messiest I've tried. Smells better than most chain lubes. Leaves the chain looking and feeling fuzzy.

Park CL-1 is somewhere between the messiest and cleanest. I still use it on an errand bike because it's rain resistant. I apply it much more sparingly now so it's a bit cleaner. I apply it only once or twice a year. Lasts a long time between applications since we don't get much rain and I avoid riding in heavy rain.

The cleanest I've tried is Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry, which appears to be just naphtha as a carrier and PTFE powder. The carrier dissolves leaving mostly the PTFE and any residual original chain lube. After a few uses and wipe-downs most of the original chain lube is gone from the outer links. The residual Absolute Dry feels mostly like dry PTFE powder -- slick, soapy, a bit tacky like a Post-It Note adhesive. Doesn't last long so I used it once or twice a week, maybe every other ride. Rock 'n' Roll Gold appears to be the same thing with a little oil added, so it lasts a little longer between applications but is still reasonably clean.