Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the generators built into the front hubs ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone using the generators built into the front hubs ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 06:47 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
I was hoping someone here already had it all figured out but if we have to figure it out, I think the best plan would include a battery that is catching all the generated electricity and then can give us back a specific voltage and current that we can use with our toys. That is what they do with solar power in RVs and in homes using solar panels.

Actually the reason it first occurred to me is that I was searching for a wheel hub to build out a spare front wheel for a tandem bike
with 48 holes to match my rims and it appears that one of the hub dynamos with 48 holes would cost the same as an "apparently" exotic specialized
tandem hub. So in a way the generator would be free. Here is a wild thought... Say in the winter time, you could hook up to heated
gloves or heated socks etc.

The problem has already been solved. Here's one solution.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/appcon.php
Old 10-26-20, 08:22 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
The problem has already been solved. Here's one solution.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/appcon.php
Therehas been lots of discussion on the touring forum. One of our members Tourist in MSN, knows tons about this very topic. Go there and be enlightened.