Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Roval Fusee SL25 - 11 Speed Conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-26-20, 10:01 AM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I have a set of Roval Fusee SL 25 wheels, currently with a 9 speed hub body. I think they look good and I'd like to convert them to 11 speed, but I'm getting a lot of confusing/differing information. So I have some questions....
  1. Regardless of specific freehub compatibility, let's say I am able to put an 11 speed freehub body on there, will that body be wider than the existing 9 speed freehub? If so, will the wheel need to be re-dished to accommodate the extra width?
  2. I keep seeing that these wheels have a DT Swiss hub, and if so I should be able to find a freehub body for them. I've referenced a couple of threads below that state this, but that's certainly not much to go on.
I've attached a couple of pics. 1st is my bike with the wheels in question; I believe they're ~2010 vintage. 2nd/3rd are a couple of pics of the hub and internals for ref. Forgive the foggy pics on the hub; I broke the lens on my phone camera while mtb'ing....

Old 10-26-20, 10:52 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Or you can just use a Shimano/SRAM 11-34T or higher 11 speed cassette which will fit perfectly on 9/10 speed shimano/sram freehubs
Old 10-26-20, 11:01 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Elvo
Or you can just use a Shimano/SRAM 11-34T or higher 11 speed cassette which will fit perfectly on 9/10 speed shimano/sram freehubs
Is that true for mountain and road cassettes? I've read that you can swap a mountain 11 speed cassette on a 9/10 speed road freehub body, but I didn't think that was true for road. Also, what allows the 11-34T or higher cassette to fit?
Old 10-26-20, 11:03 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
Is that true for mountain and road cassettes? I've read that you can swap a mountain 11 speed cassette on a 9/10 speed road freehub body, but I didn't think that was true for road. Also, what allows the 11-34T or higher cassette to fit?
The extra big cog extends past the freehub towards the spokes
Old 10-26-20, 11:06 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Elvo
The extra big cog extends past the freehub towards the spokes
Ah, I see. Any issues with the chain going into the spokes, or just make sure you get the limit screws setup and you're good? Also, FML, bc I bought an 11-32 cassette a month or so ago for this swap, lol.
Old 10-26-20, 11:20 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
Ah, I see. Any issues with the chain going into the spokes, or just make sure you get the limit screws setup and you're good?
No, by the time you get as far from the hub as the 34T cog's radius, the spokes have angled toward the rim enough to give adequate clearance.
Old 10-26-20, 11:26 AM
Nixhex

Welll that's convenient. Nice to have that in my back pocket. Any idea on the freehub body questions?