Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Old 08-23-13, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The spacers are common in a package for the triple length Bolts ..

And the spacers are in Distributors warehouses , ask Your LBS..

this is a single speed setup so its more of a trouser gard ,
leave the chainline right , add the guard to the outside..
Old 08-23-13, 03:38 PM
mattveezy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they dont have one in my size with my spider pattern. if i am running 46t, will this 50t https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driveline-Cr...item35b4b45e20 be too large?
Old 08-21-14, 03:21 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
has any one put a 700 sized set of wheels on one of these? seen a couple of online deals, but since i don't have them in hand and really don't know anything about the size, i don't want to buy without knowing. thanks.
Old 08-21-14, 03:44 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Problem with that would be lining up the brakes. The frame and fork would prolly clear 700x28's(just going off the experience of my BBU's and the Marlboro folder I gave my Dad),but the rim will be much higher and you'll have to raise the brakes. You'd also wind up with a slightly larger folded package,and they don't pack down very small to begin with.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-21-14, 04:45 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
niether of those will be problems for me, i think. haven't folded it in a while. the wheels on it now are from a 26" english type three speed (that uses 26x1 3/8" tires), so i've already switched the front brake to a small caliper that matches up pretty well. hopefully i can adjust it to the 700 too if needed (i'm really thinking of swithing to a front disc). the rear is a coaster brake so no problem there.

as long as the wheels themselves fit, i think i can work out the rest.
Old 08-21-14, 09:43 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here you go:
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...-700c-mod.html
Old 09-27-14, 07:28 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So, at the end of the day, is this old Fuji good for actual trail riding/light MTB? Or is it more suited to a rough-and-tumble commuter?
Old 02-12-16, 06:33 AM
JackOfOwls

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to necros this old thread but I just acquired one of these from my late sister's estate and intend to use it as my "survival" bike, that is, putting a rear rack on it and some panniers for grocery supply runs. Question: what racks are available that are guaranteed to fit its frame? I'd like it to be sturdy, yet lightweight (preferably aluminum) so it can hold two grocery panniers intended for two full sized paper bags of groceries. I was looking at these two items on Amazon and was wondering if they're a good match for my Fuji Malboro folding bike:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T5H8MW...I2SX40FED01OPK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4ZKZK0...=I81R12M0KZUWW

Just wanted to make certain they'll fit the "new" bike before I commit to buying them. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-13-16, 02:33 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really,the best bet is to swing by a shop and do some test fitting. Universal racks aren't truly universal. Actually setting the rack on the bike is the best way to determine fit. And remember to blue Loctite those rack bolts.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-04-16, 09:16 AM
9volt 

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Are the top tubes on these Fuji folders straight or slightly curved? I have one with a top tube that appears to be bent and wanted to double check before giving up on the thing. The top tube curve is visible from the saddle. The folding mechanism works fine and I can't find any other issues with the frame.
Old 10-06-16, 07:11 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
For some reason, every time one of these pops up on Craigslist, I think I want it. Unfortunately, I'm working with the expression n+1 where n>12.

Maybe somebody else will want this solution looking for a problem?!

Fuji Marlboro folding mtn bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (80.6 KB, 386 views)
Old 10-24-16, 06:12 AM
marioval

Bikes: 2018 ChangeBike Change 612, 1989 Redline Two-Five

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is officially 10 years old! I just picked one of these up on Craigslist here in Hartford CT. I traded for my Dawes SS 29er since I just moved in to a tiny apartment. The only place I have now to store my bike is a really small closet that the SS completely filled. The Fuji fits in nicely when folded....

Question. My Folder does not have a quick release for the handlebars, just a regular headset nut bolt situation. I need to buy something aftermarket. Will a regular seat post one work? Thanks.

-Heres a pic of the headset now.

Last edited by marioval; 10-26-16 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 11:13 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
I would say yes on a seat post clamp QR on your bike. But that sure doesn't look like an original stem. Some stems have slanted sides with recessed bolts so a standard qr bolt won't seat properly and will want to bend under pressure (snap).

FYI, those QR seat post bolts come in different bolt diameters. Get the largest that will fit your stem. Also, some aren't threaded long enough to fit shorter applications like your stem. I suggest taking the bike to a local bike shop to get a good fit. Won't cost much. Put a dab of grease on the qr threads and cams so you can get it tight enough without a big effort.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 10-30-16 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 06:34 AM
marioval

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks rickpaulos. I actually ended up finding another one of these bikes on Craigslist. it was in really bad condition but the headset was in tact so now I have an original QR for the bike. I think what I have here is original as it looks identical on both of mine. Whats also missing in my photo here is a small rubber cap that covers the opening which I now also have..... I'm going to take everything from the second bike that's better than what I have and swap it out then sell the second one since I don't really need 2 of these.
Old 12-01-16, 08:56 AM
marioval

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was watching a biking documentary on hulu called To Live And Ride In LA and what do I see around the 26:30 mark? That's definitely a Fuji Folder.

Old 12-01-16, 09:57 AM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some of the strangest things stick around nearly forever. When these were given out to smokers many years ago I worked on one or two

Now this thread ---ancient...
Old 07-01-17, 08:49 PM
cklee
catching up

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...but the bikes are still out there. I've been browsing folders on CL and the Fuji Marlboro finds brought me here. Nice to see the cool revivals and reinventions that have been done out of these!
Old 07-14-17, 02:58 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Just read this thread for the first time as a Google search bought me to it. I have one of these Fuji Marlboro Folders that I picked up free a few year ago that I am going to redo soon but I never tried to fold it and wasn't sure how, now I know after reading this thread. I like what some of you have done with your Fuji's. I was just given a Wally World Schwinn BSO that was never ridden from my cousin's husband after I built him a Trek hybrid and my plan was to remove every part from the Schwinn and build the Fuji with them. I had a friend here that really thought the Fuji was cool so I may give it to him when it's done. If I was going to keep it I would build it up over the top with good components. Once I figure out where I am going to host my pictures I will put up before & after pics of it here.

Glenn
Old 09-15-18, 07:37 AM
JackOfOwls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. It's been ages since I last posted in this topic but I finally got my Fuji folding bike on the road. Have since added a very sturdy front basket to it and a solid rack in the back that supports 110 lbs. But I have an issue with the left shifter (original parts) that controls front derailleur - it's stiff and pretty much useless, only allowing me to use the middle cog so I'm limited to 5 speeds out of 15. I'm not very expert in bike repair so should I replace it or perhaps squirt a good shot of WD40 into the shifter to see if it loosens anything? If the latter doesn't work, where can I purchase a new shifter that will work with the original front derailleur?
Old 09-15-18, 09:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls
Hi. It's been ages since I last posted in this topic but I finally got my Fuji folding bike on the road. Have since added a very sturdy front basket to it and a solid rack in the back that supports 110 lbs. But I have an issue with the left shifter (original parts) that controls front derailleur - it's stiff and pretty much useless, only allowing me to use the middle cog so I'm limited to 5 speeds out of 15. I'm not very expert in bike repair so should I replace it or perhaps squirt a good shot of WD40 into the shifter to see if it loosens anything? If the latter doesn't work, where can I purchase a new shifter that will work with the original front derailleur?
Yes but first I would replace the cable and its housing if the derailleur looks ok, not bent. You could try lube first I suppose. Look for kinks or damage in the cable. Youtube it.
Old 09-17-18, 12:34 AM
rickpaulos

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
That would take a "friction" lever. Very low tech and cheap. You can take the lever(s) apart, clean all the parts and put a thin film of grease on the washers and reassemble. The stock cable is "top" pull so those rarely get rusted up but check to see how easy the cable slides through the housing. A dab of grease spread on the cable where it runs through the housing is good. The front derailleur could be seized up. Try some wd-40 and try moving the der directly with your hands to try to free it up. Again, a cheap "top pull" triple for a standard 1 1/8" clamp size. Plenty of those derailleurs and levers at local bike coops. Also check the crank bearings for looseness. If the front crank is flopping side to side, it won't ever shift well. Spin the crank to see how straight the chainrings are. The stock crank has steel rings which are easy enough to bend back into alignment.
Old 09-17-18, 09:18 AM
JackOfOwls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll look into it.
Old 12-16-18, 06:26 PM
JackOfOwls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size is the crank for the pedals on this? 9/16" or 1/2"? The pedals that came with the Marlboro are tiny & horrible with a tendency to fold up when you're riding if you take your foot off for a second. Could be dangerous. Need to replace them pronto. Remember, as James Dean once said: "The life you save may be my own."
Old 12-17-18, 07:37 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The bike I owned like this had 9/16 pedals. Roger
Old 12-17-18, 08:13 PM
violini

Bikes: Modern steel frame road bike, titanium cruzbikes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Marlboro Folding Bike

I would want one if it is available near where I live. There are several listed on ebay, but they won't ship it to Canada.

I was searching on the Internet the other day and came across a modern folding bike by the name "The Changebike". Just like Fuji Marlboro, the structure is the traditional diamond frame.

They have both MTB as well as road bike versions. Since the folding axis is along the seat tube, the folded shape looks pretty neat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.