Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fuji Marlboro folding MTB? Or does it?

Old 12-18-18, 06:25 AM
JackOfOwls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
The bike I owned like this had 9/16 pedals. Roger
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered some 9/16 diamondback comfort peddles to replace the awful folding pedals that come with the Marlboro..
Old 06-24-19, 04:17 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
An old thread I know, but I just got another. Seems like the prices got crazy for them but im seeing a few just back on the reasonable side of ridiculous. I'm playing with the idea of a commuter arsenal. My first I converted to a coaster brake 3 speed using some English 3 speed wheels. At some point i want to have the wheels rebuilt as 700's using my 3 speed hub.

A second one I have is a single speed using some 700 wheels I got from the local co-op. Building the second is what gave me the "arsenal" idea.

Now finding a third I mean to keep the original tire size, but look for a two speed wheel. Either kickback, auto, or one of the vintage ones with the two speed shifter. Pretty much whichever I come across. If i can pull off one more (there's one about 100mls away for the same price), I want to make it a 3 speed coaster brake also, but with stock sized studded tires.

No, I have no reason why beyond I like the ldea.
Likes For Philphine:
Old 06-24-19, 05:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
@Philphine - Any post is welcome,...especially since these bikes tend to resurface every now and then. Please post pics if you acquire one of these babys,...
Old 07-20-19, 04:01 AM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
one of these turned up on my local craigslist for $175 and while i would love to pick it up, that's a lot more than i'd spend on one. super cool bikes, though!
Old 07-20-19, 08:17 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 184 Posts

I've had a bunch of these. I have one for sale locally at $150 with some upgrades, but little interest.

Funny how these bikes come in and out of fashion. If one didn't sell in the spring and summer, my experience is that a student will snarf it up before the fall semester. It's not always the folding bike enthusiast who winds up with one of these, it's the practical cyclist who needs to shoehorn a bike into a tiny dorm or apartment.
Old 07-21-19, 01:33 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
[img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/
I've had a bunch of these. I have one for sale locally at $150 with some upgrades, but little interest.

Funny how these bikes come in and out of fashion. If one didn't sell in the spring and summer, my experience is that a student will snarf it up before the fall semester. It's not always the folding bike enthusiast who winds up with one of these, it's the practical cyclist who needs to shoehorn a bike into a tiny dorm or apartment.
If you lived in NY I'd have probably taken a look at your offering. I still harbor a lust for 1 of these after all this time.
Old 07-29-19, 08:39 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
An old thread I know, but I just got another. Seems like the prices got crazy for them but im seeing a few just back on the reasonable side of ridiculous. I'm playing with the idea of a commuter arsenal. My first I converted to a coaster brake 3 speed using some English 3 speed wheels. At some point i want to have the wheels rebuilt as 700's using my 3 speed hub.

A second one I have is a single speed using some 700 wheels I got from the local co-op. Building the second is what gave me the "arsenal" idea.

Now finding a third I mean to keep the original tire size, but look for a two speed wheel. Either kickback, auto, or one of the vintage ones with the two speed shifter. Pretty much whichever I come across. If i can pull off one more (there's one about 100mls away for the same price), I want to make it a 3 speed coaster brake also, but with stock sized studded tires.

No, I have no reason why beyond I like the ldea.

karma is working for me at the moment (and i'm feeling like i'm due for a little good karma). i picked up the 4th fuji for my plan over the weekend. even better, i only paid $15 for it. it has a 24" back wheel on it (it's a flea market special), but changing the back wheel is part of the plan anyway. i'll probably go right to disassembly anyway, and just wait til i get the wheel and other parts i want to put it back together.

along with this, bettween buying the 3rd and 4th, i picked up a different style of folding mountain bike. full suspension and disc brakes. i don't plan to strip it down as far as the others, but i may go with a single chainring and tire change. it wasn't part of my original idea, so i'm still thinking on it.
Likes For Philphine:
Old 08-09-19, 11:14 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Marlboro BMX

Not a folder but it is a Marlboro bike. A bmx edition located in Sweden. Seller says it's a 1983 year model. Just posting here to document it's existence. it has a partially lugged frame which seems unusual for a bmx bike. Listing state Great Britain as county of origin. Most likely not made by Fuji. It's not my bike.

Old 10-01-20, 01:51 PM
keithdavis2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Hi,
New to the forum so was looking around at the things I am interested in. I have thought for years that these Fuji's would make a great road bike and you did it. Very nice build I know your post is from 2013 so is the bike still on the road? I have done a very similar build to an old Montague Hummer and it is amazing as a street bike. I will be posting picture of my Montague folder but apparently I have to make 10 post before I can upload a picture. I really do like your build!
Likes For keithdavis2:
Old 10-26-20, 09:20 PM
suttonjp

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Twin folders!

I picked up 2 Marlboro folders today. All original and don’t look like they’ve been ridden. No wear on the chainrings, brake shoes, etc. I paid $50 for the pair.

1 of 2 folders!
Likes For suttonjp:
Old 10-27-20, 12:45 PM
keithdavis2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by suttonjp
I picked up 2 Marlboro folders today. All original and don’t look like they’ve been ridden. No wear on the chainrings, brake shoes, etc. I paid $50 for the pair.

1 of 2 folders!
Very nice find and you actually paid what they are worth. Now you have plenty of money leftover to turn them in to really awesome road bikes just like in an earlier post.
Likes For keithdavis2:
Old 11-01-20, 07:09 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Nice. Typically they are like new (some still in the box) or rather beat up. Consider they were mainly acquired by heavy smokers.

FYI, they made two frame sizes although both have way-too long top tubes to accommodate the folding design. Plus that was the style of mountain bikes then. Long top tubes, long stem. Force the rider into a superman position.