Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How far to the grocery store?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How far to the grocery store?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 12:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I have a mile to the Fred Meyer (Kroger owned store in the PNW) and about 2 miles to the Winco (another locally owned PNW store). If I need to do a lot of shopping I jump on the train outside my condo and catch it to the Fred Meyer in downtown Portland. It's less than a 500 ft walk off the train line.
How do you handle the groceries in that case - do you just carry them in bags, or with a backpack, or have some kind of cart?
Old 11-07-16, 12:32 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
How do you handle the groceries in that case - do you just carry them in bags, or with a backpack, or have some kind of cart?
I bring a backpack and several reusable bags. I've used my suitcase a few times. Works great. Portland has banned plastic bags and all they have are cheap paper bags which rip easily.
Old 11-07-16, 12:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Ty0604
I bring a backpack and several reusable bags. I've used my suitcase a few times. Works great. Portland has banned plastic bags and all they have are cheap paper bags which rip easily.
How about something like this?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bundl...Hf13B9gQsAQIGg
Old 11-07-16, 12:41 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Pretty much the same as my suitcase. I don't like clutter so I'm okay using my suitcase for traveling and groceries instead of having two similar items for separate jobs.
Old 12-09-16, 06:50 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
At the risk of incurring the sneers of certain fundamenalists for posting practical stuff, I thought this a good spot to show some progress on a long-planned project, as well as a project that was completed quite a while ago, but has been waiting for the other one to eventuate:

First the long-bike.
A progress report on the project, probably better described by pictures:

The first picture shows the bike at a rideable stage. There are a few detail things to be done, including braze-ons for cables to the rear derailleur and brake, and for the trailer hitch. The only new parts on the bike are in the two Topeak racks, but even they have been "stolen" from other bikes in our collection, so with all the parts including the tyres and wheels coming from my bits-and-pieces bins, the direct out-of-pocket expenses have been nil.

The second picture is of the strut I made from an old steel MTB handlebar. The brazing is not particularly good, and seeing I haven't done any of that for around 20 years, I am happy so far. I am not sure the seat stays will actually handle the load, but if they don't, I have another couple of similar frames that can be built up and a full-length strut to the BB installed.

And the third is of the bike being ridden. Surprisingly, at least to me, the bike handles really well, particularly at low speed. The picture was taken from a video that Machka took, and I was doing tight figure-of-eight manouevres in the car-space area.

I have some things to do with the gearing -- I am using a cheap rear derailleur, and with the slack in the long cabling as it has been set-up, shifting is a bit hit and miss. I may need to braze on a rear derailleur hanger so I can get proper line-up compared with the cheap drop-out hanger set-up.

I also need a new front derailleur, because the one on there now is really a bottom-pull one, and the original bike was set up for top pull.

Once everything is properly set-up, I will test it with a load or two, then if it's successful, strip it and paint it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cargo-bike-2.jpg (98.9 KB, 177 views)
cargo-bike-strut.jpg (93.5 KB, 177 views)
cargo-bike-ride.jpg (38.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 12-10-16, 11:53 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Nice choice of cycling shoes, Rowan. Very practical.
Old 12-10-16, 12:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
And the third is of the bike being ridden. Surprisingly, at least to me, the bike handles really well, particularly at low speed. The picture was taken from a video that Machka took, and I was doing tight figure-of-eight manouevres in the car-space area.
That's pretty awesome. Is there much bouncing - it looks like there'd be a lot of leverage normal to the seat stay so I wonder if you've considered completing the triangle, the blue or purple:
Attached Images
Clipboard01.jpg (25.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 12-10-16, 12:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Nice choice of cycling shoes, Rowan. Very practical.
I agree; comfortable, light weight, good ventilation! Same kind as I wear for the 4 or 5 months when the temperature can be counted on to remain above 60°F. while riding. When I was commuting to work, I would keep work shoes at the work site; now sandals 24/7 for those warm 4 or 5 month/year.
Old 12-10-16, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The closest grocery store is about 4 miles from home (also a good post office there).

However, the grocery store I most frequently go to is about 7 miles from home in the opposite direction (better selection, cheaper prices), and I can do most of my shopping within 10 to 15 miles from home.
Old 12-10-16, 02:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Far enough.
Old 12-10-16, 03:53 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's pretty awesome. Is there much bouncing - it looks like there'd be a lot of leverage normal to the seat stay so I wonder if you've considered completing the triangle, the blue or purple:
I have considered the downward strut, but won't be installing it at this stage. I want to experiment with it and as I said, if the seatstays aren't up to it under heavy load, I have another couple of frames to play with. One of the reasons I haven't gone to the BB with a strut is that it gets somewhat tight/messy down there because the front derailleur cage is already only a matter of millimetres above the right seat stay.

There wasn't any bounce that was obvious. I think the long wheelbase helps dampen out the gutter crossings.
Old 12-10-16, 05:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Big Box or the Pricy Organic laden Co op?

Kroger owned Chain is across a Bridge , Albertson's owned chain is at the east end of town ..

Places where they can both have Really Big Parking lots and their own Petrol stations..
Old 12-11-16, 10:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have considered the downward strut, but won't be installing it at this stage. I want to experiment with it and as I said, if the seatstays aren't up to it under heavy load, I have another couple of frames to play with. One of the reasons I haven't gone to the BB with a strut is that it gets somewhat tight/messy down there because the front derailleur cage is already only a matter of millimetres above the right seat stay.

There wasn't any bounce that was obvious. I think the long wheelbase helps dampen out the gutter crossings.
Optically, the top strut would be more effective anyway.
Old 12-23-16, 05:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Igoabout a half mile to a locally owned grocery and about 3 miles to an aldi.
Old 02-27-17, 09:18 AM
Diesel_NY

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
? doesnt everyone go to a deli
Old 03-04-17, 03:39 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
For me Metro is about a 5 min walk, Loblaws about one km. But since I want to bike I go to another Metro location about 5km away, just because.
Old 03-04-17, 07:02 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
HyVee just over a mile and a Kwik Trip two blocks. Living by myself I don't buy that much at a time so a bike with baskets works fine.
Old 03-06-17, 08:05 PM
exdraghunt

Bikes: 1952 Hercules King 3-Speed, 1961 Popular Sports 3 speed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's about two blocks to the nearest grocery store. But that store is a PCC (health-food, all organic, free-trade, ect.) While very convenient, it's also way too expensive for daily shopping.

Any other grocery stores are at least a mile away, some up very large or steep hills. The Fred Meyer I visit isn't the closest, but it's right on a major bike trail so no hills to climb between me and the store.
Old 03-09-17, 07:18 PM
IceFox

Bikes: Scout TerraMan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two kilometar to supermarket, and 100 meters to small store
Old 04-26-17, 08:04 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A progress report on the project, probably better described by pictures:

The first picture shows the bike at a rideable stage. There are a few detail things to be done, including braze-ons for cables to the rear derailleur and brake, and for the trailer hitch. The only new parts on the bike are in the two Topeak racks, but even they have been "stolen" from other bikes in our collection, so with all the parts including the tyres and wheels coming from my bits-and-pieces bins, the direct out-of-pocket expenses have been nil.

The second picture is of the strut I made from an old steel MTB handlebar. The brazing is not particularly good, and seeing I haven't done any of that for around 20 years, I am happy so far. I am not sure the seat stays will actually handle the load, but if they don't, I have another couple of similar frames that can be built up and a full-length strut to the BB installed.

I have some things to do with the gearing -- I am using a cheap rear derailleur, and with the slack in the long cabling as it has been set-up, shifting is a bit hit and miss. I may need to braze on a rear derailleur hanger so I can get proper line-up compared with the cheap drop-out hanger set-up.

I also need a new front derailleur, because the one on there now is really a bottom-pull one, and the original bike was set up for top pull.

Once everything is properly set-up, I will test it with a load or two, then if it's successful, strip it and paint it.
Is this bike still on the road? I was thinking when reading about strut lenght to decide BB height that when I have made bikes like this I found that gearing/chainline is the real problem so BB height ended up where it had to be to get a proper chainline.

If this bike is mainly for shopping you may want to do what I ended up doing- using a IGH instead of the regular der setup. maybe also you could set it up with a single chainring up front.

I ended up deciding that with a DIY longtailbike a 3 by something gearing was not worth the hassle.

We rode Dogbike2 for several years and hauled a lot of groceries too:

https://flic.kr/p/FZXjGA
Old 04-27-17, 12:52 AM
Rowan

The bike is still in progress as far as the build is concerned. I have been distracted by randonnees

The strut length was crucial to getting both BB height and chainline. On the test rides, things seem to have worked out quite well from both points of view. The triple is quite important to me, simply because of the terrain where I live; it's hilly.

I still have a few things left to do such as brazing a trailer hitch point on to a chainstay, and fitting a decent front derailleur. After that, it will all be stripped down and painted... a winter-time project here.
Old 04-27-17, 01:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It looks like a fun cargo bike build.

I built my own a couple of years ago. It ended up as quite a beast, but heavy. It turns out, I prefer towing a trailer to riding the cargo bike. So, the beast only comes out when I need to tow the HEAVY trailer.

I opted to design a direct pull behind hitch.

However, the Bike Friday uses a piece of air hose and coupler for the hitch. Male end brazed on the bike (nut and coupler), female on the trailer. It works well.

==========

As far as distance to the grocery store. As an update. The close one (5 miles) is closed for new management/renovation. So, it is back too 8 to 10 miles each way to the closest grocery store. I generally like the further store better anyway, but I suppose I should go to the local one more once it re-opens. Don't want too lose it. Hopefully it will be better and cheaper.
Old 04-27-17, 06:16 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
In the town where I work, there is a Kroger about 2 miles away from my apartment.
Old 05-03-17, 03:17 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
HEB, Big Lots and Dollar General, 1 mile
WalMart, 2 miles

Bigger location draw of HEB is that it's nearly all a gentle downhill coming home, and all residential streets and university sidewalks except for crossing one moderate feeder and a busy 4-lane, whereas WalMart involves a moderate climb each way and riding at least a quarter mile on a 4 or 5 lane.
Old 05-03-17, 03:31 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
HEB, Big Lots and Dollar General, 1 mile
WalMart, 2 miles

Bigger location draw of HEB is that it's nearly all a gentle downhill coming home, and all residential streets and university sidewalks except for crossing one moderate feeder and a busy 4-lane, whereas WalMart involves a moderate climb each way and riding at least a quarter mile on a 4 or 5 lane.
Do you have lights at the crossings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.