Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheel advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 10:32 AM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Wheel advice

I am looking for a new pair of clinchers for my cross bike, but I also want to be able to use them on my road bike as well. I am looking at the Velocity A23 rim and either White Industries hubs in a 24/28 configuration at approximately $650 for the set or the same rims laced to Ultegra hubs in a 32/32 spoke set up at $300. The Ultegra set up will be about 500g heavier. I will use these for cross racing, maybe some gravel races, and for the occasional road ride. I am trying to justify the additional $350 for the White Industries set up, but I'm not quite there yet. Is 500g worth $350 more? I have already cleared either wheel set with my wife, so it's only me that needs convincing.

Last edited by Dominae; 11-09-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 10:46 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My math comes to about half that on the weight hit:

12 extra spokes and nips at 7 grams each = 84
500g (ultegra hubs) - 350 (WI) = 150
Total difference = 234g.

My weights may be slightly off because I didn't look them up, but what else am I missing?

Also have you looked at the 23mm offerings from kinlin, h-plus or pascenti? Many people have found them to be nicer to build with.
Old 11-09-13, 10:46 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Less weight = more cost; up to you if you think it's worth it, but 500g is a lot, saying that, any non-factory 32 hold wheel is going to weigh more than a factory wheel with low spoke count or a 24/28 combo.

Do you want the bling / made in USA for the White Industries, or do you want to save the money for something else?
Old 11-09-13, 10:51 AM
Dominae

Jimc, I am really not into "bling". I am looking at performance first and durability second.

Can am, the listed weights for the pre built wheels are all over the place. If its only 234g then my conundrum just got a little more difficult (or easier, depending on one's perspective). Also, I already have a set of Velocity Major Tom tubulars, so I thought going with the Velocity clincher would make wheel swaps seamless.
Old 11-09-13, 10:58 AM
MajorMantra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure what availability is like over there (although you could buy from the UK) but what about Miche Primato hubs instead? They look good and IIRC they're lighter than Ultegra, and cheaper too, without having rubbish bearings.
Old 11-09-13, 11:04 AM
Dominae

Major, yes there are all kinds of other hubs available, but at this point I'm trying to narrow my choice not expand them! Seriously, I have been looking at off brand hubs but my main concern with these is long term durability. Hence my choice of Ultegra v. WI hubs.
Old 11-09-13, 11:04 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by Dominae
Jimc, I am really not into "bling". I am looking at performance first and durability second.

Can am, the listed weights for the pre built wheels are all over the place. If its only 234g then my conundrum just got a little more difficult (or easier, depending on one's perspective). Also, I already have a set of Velocity Major Tom tubulars, so I thought going with the Velocity clincher would make wheel swaps seamless.
Ah, I wasn't thinking about pre-builts. In that case the Ultegra wheels might be using straight gauge spokes instead of double butted which would add some weight. Personally I would spend the extra and get the Ultegra set with DB spokes from a handbuilder like Psimet or Wheelbuilder. I think getting a good build is more important than the choice between the hubs or one of those other rims.
Old 11-09-13, 11:19 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Major, yes there are all kinds of other hubs available, but at this point I'm trying to narrow my choice not expand them! Seriously, I have been looking at off brand hubs but my main concern with these is long term durability. Hence my choice of Ultegra v. WI hubs.
Suit yourself. They have a great rep and look amazing for the money though. Circa £70 a pair here.

Old 11-09-13, 11:26 AM
Dominae

Originally Posted by canam73
Ah, I wasn't thinking about pre-builts. In that case the Ultegra wheels might be using straight gauge spokes instead of double butted which would add some weight. Personally I would spend the extra and get the Ultegra set with DB spokes from a handbuilder like Psimet or Wheelbuilder. I think getting a good build is more important than the choice between the hubs or one of those other rims.
Yes you are correct. The pre built version does come with DT Champion spokes and I want double butted. The shop will build with whatever spokes I want though, and I think I'll get Revolutions which would add about $35-40 to the build.
Old 11-09-13, 12:44 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I am not a wheel builder, but have researched and had built several sets of hand built wheels. If you are set on Velocity A23's, don't do 24/28, especially for cross. It is kind of a whimpy rim. I have 32/32 A23's with Record hubs and double butted spokes (Revolution IIRC) and I am happy with them, but wouldn't use them for less spokes. Granted, I am large, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-11-13, 06:37 AM
Dominae

A little more information...I just acquired a set of White Industries hubs at a great price. They are in a 24/28 hole configuration. In response to the above from RollCNY, I'm wondering whether I should opt for the HED Belgium rim instead because I've heard that its a little stronger. I weigh about 155 lbs. or so.
Old 11-11-13, 07:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,049 Posts
At 155, you can use any rim you want.
Old 11-11-13, 07:04 AM
canam73

A little more information...I just acquired a set of White Industries hubs at a great price. They are in a 24/28 hole configuration. In response to the above from RollCNY, I'm wondering whether I should opt for the HED Belgium rim instead because I've heard that its a little stronger. I weigh about 155 lbs. or so.
The HED is a nice rim, but the newest version is actually a bit shallower. You may want to consider the Kinlin XC279 (also bhs472). It has almost the identical dimensions as the previous 28mm deep HED. Either one should be stronger than the A23, though, and in my limited experience were a little nicer finished out of the box.
Old 11-11-13, 03:36 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Shimano hubs - great quality and should last you for a while with some basic maintenance, but when they're gone they're GONE! Better plan on getting some new ones. I see Shimano as very good disposable products. My understanding is that Shimano road hubs (e.g., Ultegra) lack the tight seals that their MTB counterparts have. Based on the usage you've got in mind for these hubs (cyclocross, gravel grinding), I would not count on them durability-wise.

W.I. hubs - There is definitely an entry price differential, but you've got hubs for a lifetime. All parts are replaceable and you've got a company that will stand behind their products with warranty, parts and service. You made a nice choice getting these.

As far as rims, Velocity is a great brand. If you're still in doubt, I suggest giving them a call. I had some technical questions earlier this year and they were very attentive and helpful. They will point you in the right direction.
Old 11-11-13, 04:12 PM
Caymem

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of A23 wheels for trade in the trade thread. PM me if interested.
Old 11-13-13, 08:02 AM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could get the older Belgium's easy enough. There are many on e-bay and suspect many shops have some stock. I love mine and I'm a clyde. If you wanted a totally bomb proof hub you couldn't do any better than a DT Swiss 350.