Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy Adv 3 vs. Garneau Sonix Sport Sora vs. Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 01:19 PM
the_goat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After getting back on a bike after 15 years and spending my summer doing 75km+ road treks on a beach cruiser I've decided to buy my first road bike. For context, I'm a 5'1" female looking to spend less than $1500 Canadian (or about $5 American).

I'm currently looking at the Giant Defy Advanced 3, Garneau Sonix Sport Sora, and Specialized Allez.

Any thoughts opinions or new suggestions?
Old 02-16-16, 01:36 PM
lakwatsero76

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant OCR, Specialized Sirrus, Miele Umbria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a beginner you would be comfortable with the defy for it has a more relaxed geometry. Specialized Alley are more aggressive position. I Dont know what is the Garneau's postion. I myself have a Defy. Component wise Tiagra and Sora are good for beginners but once you get to like the sport and want to upgrade dont go less than 105 components.

cheers.
Old 02-16-16, 01:52 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by the_goat
After getting back on a bike after 15 years and spending my summer doing 75km+ road treks on a beach cruiser I've decided to buy my first road bike. For context, I'm a 5'1" female looking to spend less than $1500 Canadian (or about $5 American).

I'm currently looking at the Giant Defy Advanced 3, Garneau Sonix Sport Sora, and Specialized Allez.

Any thoughts opinions or new suggestions?
None of those are women's bikes, and at your height you might find it difficult to fit on them even in the smallest size.
Old 02-16-16, 05:58 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
None of those are women's bikes, and at your height you might find it difficult to fit on them even in the smallest size.
The Avail is the women's version, but not sure how many shops will carry a good size selection.
Old 02-16-16, 06:44 PM
the_goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit, Giant Defy 3 was a pretty sexy bike. They didn't have the Avail. Good deal because they're changing out for 2016 stock. The LBS owner said they could fairly inexpensively narrow the handle bars and a women's saddle wouldn't be terribly expensive either. But it all ads up with adjustments...
Old 02-16-16, 07:01 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have to admit, Giant Defy 3 was a pretty sexy bike. They didn't have the Avail. Good deal because they're changing out for 2016 stock. The LBS owner said they could fairly inexpensively narrow the handle bars and a women's saddle wouldn't be terribly expensive either. But it all ads up with adjustments...
Well, I don't have a lot to offer as far as the bike choice, I just stopped by to say your unsername is F'n awesome
Old 02-16-16, 07:22 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fair warning - the LBS changing the bars and saddle doesn't make it into a women's specific bike. It has more to do with the geometry of the frame. If it were my money I'd move along to a shop that has a decent selection of women's bikes.
Old 02-17-16, 12:01 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcdam
Fair warning - the LBS changing the bars and saddle doesn't make it into a women's specific bike. It has more to do with the geometry of the frame. If it were my money I'd move along to a shop that has a decent selection of women's bikes.
To be honest, we don't know enough about her to know if she needs a WSD bike. We know that she will need a small bike, probably in the range of a 47cm - 49cm.

You should look at Fit first to get a bike that fits you. Unfortunately, a lot of LBSs aren't going to keep a lot of bikes that small in stock.

It looks like $1500 CAN ~= $1100 US. For that amount of money, you should be looking at Tiagra or 105 groupset, a AL alloy bike, and a CF fork. All of the major manufacturers (e.g. Giant, Trek, Specialized, Felt, Fuji, Cannondale, Raleigh, Jamis, etc.) make good intro bikes. It's going to be a matter of whether they are small enough for you, and whether or not you truly need a WSD bike.

You'll want to go to several LBSs, and road test the different brands that they have at each (if possible), and different geometries (Race vs. Endurance).

I'm a 5'5" male, and I have a 49cm Fuji Sportif. It may be a tad on the small side, but I was probably between sizes, and chose to go small. I know that Fuji makes the Sportif down to 47cm, and they also make some WSD bikes.

Good Luck with your search.

GH
Old 02-17-16, 06:26 PM
the_goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
To be honest, we don't know enough about her to know if she needs a WSD bike. We know that she will need a small bike, probably in the range of a 47cm - 49cm.

You should look at Fit first to get a bike that fits you. Unfortunately, a lot of LBSs aren't going to keep a lot of bikes that small in stock.

It looks like $1500 CAN ~= $1100 US. For that amount of money, you should be looking at Tiagra or 105 groupset, a AL alloy bike, and a CF fork. All of the major manufacturers (e.g. Giant, Trek, Specialized, Felt, Fuji, Cannondale, Raleigh, Jamis, etc.) make good intro bikes. It's going to be a matter of whether they are small enough for you, and whether or not you truly need a WSD bike.

You'll want to go to several LBSs, and road test the different brands that they have at each (if possible), and different geometries (Race vs. Endurance).

I'm a 5'5" male, and I have a 49cm Fuji Sportif. It may be a tad on the small side, but I was probably between sizes, and chose to go small. I know that Fuji makes the Sportif down to 47cm, and they also make some WSD bikes.

Good Luck with your search.

GH
Thanks a ton y'all! I've been calling all around for teeny tiny XS bikes. There's a great deal on the XS Giant Defy (all carbon and Tiagra). If I went WSD, the the Giant Avail is carbon fork and Sora, Trek Lexa is carbon fork and Tiagra, while the Specialized Dolce is carbon fork and sora.

Ideally for the same price it'd be nice to get full carbon, but definitely not at the expense of a good fit and potentially fit related injury. I'll have to hop on all of them and find the best for my body.

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-16, 06:48 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
At 5' 1", you may be better on a bike with 650 wheels. The only measurement on a bike that really really matters (and it cannot be changed) is the virtual top tube. That is the horizontal distance between the center of the head tube and the center of the seatpost.

You can raise or lower the seatpost, or change out stems and bars, but the virtual top tube is the fundamental measurement on a bike. 51cm is about the shortest that is possible on a bike with 700c wheels. You may need shorter.

If you are riding on a bike on which you need a 80mm stem, because you are too stretched out, then your frame is too big. If you need a 130mm stem, because you are too cramped, your frame is too small.

Women's specific bikes. Women have similar leg and torso dimensions as men of the same height. Their hands and arms are relatively shorter. And their shoulders are narrower, and wider hips of course. Hence the need for narrower bars, somewhat shorter top tubes and stems, and saddles that fit wider sit bones.

Seriously check out the Garneau line. I have a Garneau bike, and it was a great deal for the level of frame and componentry. You will pay roughly 25% more for a 'name' brand.
Old 02-17-16, 07:33 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
As already stated ...... before you buy a bike please test ride some women specific bikes whether it be a Trek or a Specialized. You will find these bikes are designed from the frame up for a lighter rider and will provide a better riding experience. Smaller bars, women specific saddles and less reach are just a few of the reasons why you may prefer a woman specific bike. A woman is not a small guy and should not necessarily be riding a small guys bike.
Old 02-18-16, 07:13 AM
warpdrive

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 4.5, Brompton S6L

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@the_goat

I’d recommend you stay with the women specific models for some of the same reasons others pointed out.

My wife is the same height as you and she needed to go to the women’s Trek Domane in order to get a size that matched her short inseam and reach. She’s comfortable on the size 47cm frame, which is smaller than the smallest men’s frame. She also needed a shorter stem than what normally comes in men’s sizes.

Chances are you’ll need to go with the Avail in XS for the best fit.
Old 02-18-16, 11:56 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warpdrive
@the_goat

I’d recommend you stay with the women specific models for some of the same reasons others pointed out.

My wife is the same height as you and she needed to go to the women’s Trek Domane in order to get a size that matched her short inseam and reach. She’s comfortable on the size 47cm frame, which is smaller than the smallest men’s frame. She also needed a shorter stem than what normally comes in men’s sizes.

That may very well be, but it's probably best for her to try both WSD and "Unisex" bikes, and determine which one fits her best.

Now, because of her heigh, it may very well be that only the WSD bikes are small enough for her.

But if the unisex bike fits better except for the handlebars, she can always get more narrow handle bars.

And if it is close between the two, she should get the one that excites her more about getting on the bike and riding, even if that means that her final choice comes down to color. As long as the sexy looking bike fits her.

GH
Old 02-18-16, 02:46 PM
warpdrive

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^

I don’t know the OP’s proportions, but as I said, my wife is the same height and most of the unisex bikes just don’t come small enough unless there is a XXS size.

We tried tons of unisex smallest sized bikes and she couldn’t clear the top tube at all, so from our experience shopping (and we tried a lot of different brands), we had no choice but to go with women’s frames which start at 44-47cm frame size in many brands.
Old 02-20-16, 04:39 PM
the_goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
That may very well be, but it's probably best for her to try both WSD and "Unisex" bikes, and determine which one fits her best.

Now, because of her heigh, it may very well be that only the WSD bikes are small enough for her.

But if the unisex bike fits better except for the handlebars, she can always get more narrow handle bars.

And if it is close between the two, she should get the one that excites her more about getting on the bike and riding, even if that means that her final choice comes down to color. As long as the sexy looking bike fits her.

GH
Thanks y'all for all the tips! I tried Giant, Trek, Specialized and Garneau and ended up buying a WSD Giant Avail 1 XS with carbon fork and Shimano 105. I'm fortunately a long legged 5'1" so I only needed an XS not XXS. The WSD helps since I have a smaller torso. And the handlebar fit great!

It's also pretty sexy
Old 02-20-16, 05:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Thanks y'all for all the tips! I tried Giant, Trek, Specialized and Garneau and ended up buying a WSD Giant Avail 1 XS with carbon fork and Shimano 105. I'm fortunately a long legged 5'1" so I only needed an XS not XXS. The WSD helps since I have a smaller torso. And the handlebar fit great!

It's also pretty sexy
You cannot post that and not post pics. it violates cosmic law.

C'mon ... show us your bike.
Old 02-20-16, 05:16 PM
the_goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You cannot post that and not post pics. it violates cosmic law.

C'mon ... show us your bike.

Hahaha, deal. It's so light I can carry it on my shoulder like a purse!! And I can just throw it in the back of my VW Beetle!

Gosh, is that the most feminine road biking post ever?

Attached Images
Old 02-21-16, 10:31 AM
warpdrive

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by warpdrive
Thanks y'all for all the tips! I tried Giant, Trek, Specialized and Garneau and ended up buying a WSD Giant Avail 1 XS with carbon fork and Shimano 105
I called it!

Enjoy your new bike....hard to fault going with a Giant