Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Verbal assaults while riding

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Verbal assaults while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 05:48 AM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruentus
I wait until they're stopped at a light, then I rip off my shorts and hit them in the face with the chamois.
That is cruel and unusual.
Old 07-14-05, 05:51 AM
James H Haury
Hauja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
When this happens I'm so glad that I installed that 20mm Gatling cannon that makes sheet metal into confetti in no time at 5000 spm. Every town should have an Army/Navy surplus store. Sure, it weighs a lot, but satisfaction is GUARANTEED!
I prefer a light antitank weapon and a few extra rounds.
Old 07-14-05, 05:54 AM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This happened to me yesterday.

Unfortunately for the B*tch driver, she was approaching a very long red light.

I just pulled up right behind her, took off the shades, and glowered at her in her rear view.

You could tell by her furtive eyes, she was more then a lil' scared of this 6'3" 215#, angry male.
Old 07-14-05, 12:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You can respond however you like (but calling the cops is not reccommended). Cycling is a fiarly public activity, and unfortunately some members of the public are rude and discourteous. These people do not pose a threat to you, so try not to let them ruin your day.

It sounds like you might be new to cycling. Are you sure you understand and follow the laws and safety guidelines for cycling? If you're not sure, you might want to read other threads in this forum, take a class, and/or ride with some more experienced riders for a while.
Old 07-14-05, 12:12 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by James H Haury
How about recoil... isn't a bit tough on a bike while rolling?

I am waiting for particle beam myself... the power supply will be heavy, but think of the lights I can run with it on a night commute.
Old 07-14-05, 01:52 PM
Niten
saikurisutto

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720, 2004 Marin Argenta, Police Auction Schwinn Impact, Coker Wheelman Highwheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I get a little warm glow of empowerment, knowing my mere presence is enough to throw some people into apoplectic fits. Then I flip the Vs because I'm American, and doing so is a pretentious affectation.

Sometimes I act like I'm going to ride the bugger down and give him piece of my mind. I say things like, "Hold me back! Hold me back!"

Later I weep for the species...
Old 07-14-05, 02:07 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ehhh.. weep all ya want, but that assertiveness is what brought us from scared lil' monkeys to bipedal overlords.

It's the "management" of aggression that is the problem. Not the aggression itself.

Look back to the animal kingdom - they seem to manage their intra-species spats in relatively harmless ways... especially given that they often come locked and loaded with claw and fang!
Old 07-14-05, 05:00 PM
James H Haury
Hauja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

I am waiting for particle beam myself... the power supply will be heavy, but think of the lights I can run with it on a night commute.
A light antitank weapon is a rocket launched from a tube open on both ends. The gases should push you forward if anything.
Old 07-14-05, 07:15 PM
77Univega
Drive the Bicycle.

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lilHinault
Noisebeam I lived out there in AZ for a few years and that's got to be the angriest state in the US.
--- The angry and abusive motorists will be on their own bicycles after the oil runs out--SOON:
www.hubbertpeak.com/campbell/
"The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well." Ivan Illich ('Energy and Equity')1974
Old 07-14-05, 11:07 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like one of the observations by one of the peak oil scientists, saying that verification of Hubbert's theory is less and less a matter of projection and more a matter of just observing the data year after year, for better or for worse, it appears to be playing out exactly "according to plan".

And yeah I think some of the anger in some motorists is the subconscious realization that they'll be out there on a bike soon.
Old 07-15-05, 09:08 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by chanel
What should one do if someone yells out of a car while we are riding? It is so shocking. Should one follow them, get the license no. and call the police? I would really ruin a nice weekend ride. Any suggestions?

If it is just a "get off the road" or "you're a queer" or "woot woot" or whatever, then Let it go, do not aggravate the situation.

If they threaten your life or threaten you with physical harm, then get the license plate, car description and description of person, if you can. Then call the police. If the police state they need a witness, horse*****. The police should at least knock on his door and state that someone complained about death threats or threats of physical injury from him. If the police refuse go over their heads to the supervisor. Push it!

Digger
Old 07-15-05, 09:48 AM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before bothering to report an incident, see what constitutes verbal assault in your area. In my jurisdiction, if the words do not contain a specific threat to commit a specific ilegal act, there is no crime. Examples of NON-criminal statements would be "I'm going to get you" or "You'd better watch your back." A very common threat that does cross the line into illegality is "I'm gonna kick your a**," but there may be reluctance to make an arrest for such a commonly uttered phrase unless behaviour reinforced the threat. The statement "I'm going to kill you" is specific and in Texas can result in the higher charge of terroristic threat IF the threat is imminent as well as specific. OTOH, "I'm gonna kill me a bicyclist," in and of itself, is neither specific nor imminent unless reinforced by additional behaviour. Your laws may vary; this is not legal advice, of course, just my $0.02 derived from 21+ years of wearing a badge.
Old 07-15-05, 10:14 AM
MsVicki
Victoria's secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luckily, I have never had anything hateful yelled at me. Thank goodness, I would not want to start crying....HA! Most of the time, if I happen to ride on an actual road, I get "Hey, baby!" or "Woohoo, I love you!" or wolf whistles. Geez, I am an ole grandma, so I figure the guys yelling such things need help, and I just ignore the poor fellas.

Once I got a "Sorry, didn't see you!" when someone almost ran over me. I glowered at him, but restrained myself from giving him the finger or yelling something rude. When you are a woman, you just never know how people will react.

My suggestion is try to ignore or, depending on the situation, maybe a smile and a friendly wave. You don't need trouble, and you just never know.
Old 07-15-05, 12:49 PM
Niten
saikurisutto

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720, 2004 Marin Argenta, Police Auction Schwinn Impact, Coker Wheelman Highwheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ability to yell, "BLARGHHHMLANNNGH!" or whatever out the window of a car made us rulers of the planet. Man, now I weep for all the species.

Would you trust an ape with anger management issues with a two-ton, internal combustion missile?
Old 07-15-05, 01:10 PM
gordyt

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 7500 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always a mixed bag here in Humble, Texas (N.E. of Houston). On most days...nothing. Last week I got yelled at twice in two days. First day by some lady passenger in a car telling me I should stay on the sidewalk. Second day by an SUV loaded with obnoxious young men yelling something about getting a "real ride".

Oh well!

--gordy
Old 07-15-05, 01:23 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I must say I hardly ever get yelled at but this morning I decided to do a metric century before work and got honked at 3 times and yelled at twice and a thumbs up once! I figure this is mostly because I strayed down into Johnson Ranch. Johnson Ranch is a housing development about 20 miles from anywhere that offers cheap housing but no infrastructure. It onlly has 1, 2 lane road supplying thousands of houses and all these people go to work at the same time which leads to a lot of backup. I figure a frustrated motorist is one who is tipped to the dark side a little easier. I just wave hi to them as if they are a friend honking at me to say hi! After all, that is usually what I use my horn for! I figure this is a peaceful way of getting them even more ticked off. After all, they failed to accomplish their design obviously..
Old 07-15-05, 01:34 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got yelled at on the way home yesterday. Some chick leans out the window of her SUV and shouts,"go Lance go!". The nerve of her!

I wouldn't be caught dead on a roadie. And I am way,way sexier than Lance!

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-15-05, 01:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul L.
First I must say I hardly ever get yelled at but this morning I decided to do a metric century before work and got honked at 3 times and yelled at twice and a thumbs up once! I figure this is mostly because I strayed down into Johnson Ranch. Johnson Ranch is a housing development about 20 miles from anywhere that offers cheap housing but no infrastructure. It onlly has 1, 2 lane road supplying thousands of houses and all these people go to work at the same time which leads to a lot of backup. I figure a frustrated motorist is one who is tipped to the dark side a little easier. I just wave hi to them as if they are a friend honking at me to say hi! After all, that is usually what I use my horn for! I figure this is a peaceful way of getting them even more ticked off. After all, they failed to accomplish their design obviously..
Do you ever ride on Broadway or Southern? Or cross I-60 on some of the NS roads that have narrow lanes? That is a guarantee to get you a honk or yell for every 2-3mi in my experience.

Al
Old 07-15-05, 05:25 PM
BJS666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masturbate profusely.
Old 07-15-05, 06:08 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
No worse than a head wind.
Old 07-15-05, 08:33 PM
chemcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight weenie....