Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

OT: reevaluating foot wear options for the vary over weight

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 12:13 AM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok this is not to restart a argument and yes I have talked to my doctor and have the green light to do this.

After really thinking about what is the best shoe for a obese hiker/walker I did some really deep research into to the best motion control shoe and while looking into it I stumbled onto the idea of barefoot or minimalist shoes. From the reports I read, it helps strengthen ankles, knees and hips. There also reports of reduced or zero back pain after changing over.

So after a call into my doctor and a vist to my favorite outdoor store I buy a pair of Vibram fivefingers KSO Trek. These are a discontinued kangeroo leather hiking/running shoe that was 50% off. As this is a experiment I did not want to put out $125 for the newest pair. I am also going to order a pair of "invisible shoes" a type of ancient sandles that come as a kit for $30.

All of the barefoot running sites and fivefingers tell you to take it vary slow. You are learning a new way of moving and building strength as you go. Today I wore them for 3 hours and then because I just had to put them back on for some jogging (10 min) My feet feel great and I was able to run pain free. It was my fitness level and not pain that stoped me.

I will check back in from time to time and let you all know how its going. Just to give you a idea I am 5'9" and 308. I hike 6 to 7 miles once a week and walk between 3 to 5 miles daily. I will also be riding my bike with them as I have this wild idea of maybe doing Triathlons wearing them the whole time. (I use my arms more them my legs to save them)

And please I am not telling anyone to do this and remember. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-17-13, 03:47 AM
painted_klown

Bikes: No bike yet, I just discovered this site.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. This is good stuff to know. Please keep us updated with how you feel about the Vibrams. I have been considering a pair myself, but wondered if they would work very well for a guy my size (5' 10" 309 lbs.).

Obviously, at my size, I am not really doing any "running" but more of a "speed walk" type pace. I have a severely supinated step with my right foot (on my worst days, I am literally almost on the side of my foot) and a lesser supination issue with my left foot. Additionally, I have very wide feet (11.5 EEEE size shoe), so I was always concerned about such a minimalist type shoe.

I will be looking forward to your follow up thoughts and opinions once you have had the opportunity to wear them for a bit.
Old 02-17-13, 06:21 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you post pics please?

Do you feel gravel or rocks with them?
Old 02-17-13, 06:24 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before you order the other pair, Shelly, look at google and look for the company that is based out of Eugene, Oregon. They were just on Shark Tank on ABC. They are a company that makes the invisible shoes but they are custom to your feet versus a kit that you cut.

Here is the link actually:

https://xeroshoes.com/barefoot-shoes/...-special-sale/
Old 02-17-13, 06:25 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, one more questions..... Where were you hurting before you switched shoes? I have pain in the lower back and shoulders.
Old 02-17-13, 07:26 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I use minimalist shoes. I have three different kinds. One is a pair of the Vibram fivefingers. I find them comfortable but problematic in a few ways. One is the lack of socks. Now you can buy socks for them but then I feel like I have too much on my toes. So, I only wear them in warm weather and barefoot. The other odd thing is that I wear them around our property in the summer walking in the grass a lot. My toes "pick" dandelions and clover. At first it was funny but then it was a PITA.

I have a pair of Saucony Kinvara running shoes, with minimal heel lift but not a totally zero drop. I don't run often, I just use them for knock around shoes and I love them. They are very comfortable.

Finally, I have a pair of Softstar minimal shoes, with a totally flat and thin Vibram sole. Very comfortable. https://www.softstarshoes.com/running-moccasins.html.

I slowly worked up to wearing all these shoes but I never had a problem. Because I am not a runner (forever stuck on week two of couch to 5K) I probably didn't have much of an adaptation issue. I never jogged in anything other than the Kinvaras so it wasn't like I was changing from one style of shoe to another.

I am kind of an Imelda Marcos about shoes so it isn't like these are the only kinds of shoes I wear. I also favor Chacos and a whole host of other shoes. Too many other shoes.
Old 02-17-13, 07:37 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I am kind of an Imelda Marcos about shoes so it isn't like these are the only kinds of shoes I wear. I also favor Chacos and a whole host of other shoes. Too many other shoes.
"Must not make joke about women and shoes. Must NOT make joke about women and shoes...."

Old 02-17-13, 08:00 AM
Baytree

Bikes: Unknown model Giant MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
"Must not make joke about women and shoes. Must NOT make joke about women and shoes...."
Hi there, another woman dropping in to talk about shoes!

I've gone barefoot by preference my entire life, with a few exceptions. Obviously at school/work when shoes are mandatory or when there's safety considerations I'll wear appropriate footwear. The only other thing I wear shoes for is running. I've always found barefoot running uncomfortable for any real distance, and after injuring my knee a few years ago (torn meniscus) even jogging short distances barefoot is painful.

Speaking of which... for that knee injury they did an MRI, and found absolutely no damage to the joint except for the torn meniscus. That was from a high-speed collision with a metal pipe, so no relation to what goes on my feet. This is for a 20-year-old who has always been heavy (I hover around 200 lb) and with a family history of bad joints... my mother started developing osteoarthritis when she was 18. I've gone barefoot 80% of the time for my whole life, and walk 5-10 miles a day. Make of that what you will.

What I like about going barefoot is the comfort. I've yet to find a pair of shoes that felt better than nothing. Also, I find that I get tired faster on hikes when wearing shoes, especially climbing steep hills, and my bare feet give me better traction and balance than the sole of any shoe.

Five-fingers and other "barely there" type shoes have never appealed to me personally. The bottoms of my feet are tough enough that rough ground doesn't bother me... if I'm going to wear shoes at all, they're for shock absorption while running or they're steel-toe boots. I can see the appeal if your feet are soft and not used to going barefoot yet, or if you want to go places that require shoes but not have heavy clunkers on your feet.
Old 02-17-13, 09:49 AM
Shellyrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Before you order the other pair, Shelly, look at google and look for the company that is based out of Eugene, Oregon. They were just on Shark Tank on ABC. They are a company that makes the invisible shoes but they are custom to your feet versus a kit that you cut.

Here is the link actually:

https://xeroshoes.com/barefoot-shoes/...-special-sale/
We are talking about the same shoe. I think they are doing a name change. The kits from them for my size with the 6mm sole are $30, its $15 more to have them build them for you.
Old 02-17-13, 10:09 AM
Shellyrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Sorry, one more questions..... Where were you hurting before you switched shoes? I have pain in the lower back and shoulders.
Yes. I think a lot of the pain comes from having a week core. That is another thing the barefoot is supposed to help with. I will say that myback did not hurt much yesterday but 30 min. After lacing on my boots this morning the nagging pain is there.
Old 02-17-13, 10:17 AM
Shellyrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walking around last night I did feel rocks and sticks but they did not hurt. What I found is I was walking up and down a steep area that I would normaly use a walkig stick to steady my self (lets face it falling is a worse nightmare for me. I never want to have someone rescue me at my weight. The sham would kill me) I felt more secure knowing what was under my foot.

Will post pics tonight.