Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any other clydes embarrassed to wear bike shorts?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Any other clydes embarrassed to wear bike shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 08:48 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren
What's the big deal? I'm 270lbs, 6'1", and I wear UA compression undershorts with a pair of gym shorts on top... the best of both worlds.
I do the same thing. I have some UnderArmour 9" inch compression shorts and then wear a pair of UnderArmour loose 6" gym shorts over it. Gives me more protection, but I don't feel goofy But I also just started and I'm only doing 8-9 miles rides so far.
Old 06-03-13, 09:29 AM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanWho
I'm scared that the sun will come out from behind the clouds and everyone seeing me will be blinded.
I lol'ed so hard at this. You are humorous my man. Not problem there, show them the glory!
Old 06-03-13, 10:37 AM
RWBlue01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
I don't want my junk out there for all the world to look at.
I am a big guy. Big hands, Big feet, ...I am just big. I am very proud of my junk. Stare if you like.
Old 06-03-13, 10:47 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RWBlue01
I am a big guy. Big hands, Big feet, ...I am just big. I am very proud of my junk. Stare if you like.
One man's junk is another man's treasure is NOT applicable here, but made me laugh thinking of the stares we all (at least the guys) may have unknowingly gotten.
Old 06-03-13, 11:01 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I don't wear them for looks. But the more I ride, the better they look on me. I wore baggy MTB shorts until I lost enough weight that my roadie short fit me again. When I'm riding for the sake of riding, I prefer roadie shorts, especially in the heat.

I've since found alternates to MTB shorts for just knocking about town. I like the Nashbar liner shorts in combination with relatively light street shorts. I find this combo to be more comfortable than the baggies with integrated liner.
Old 06-03-13, 11:47 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I figured out that nobody else really cares what I wear. I may not look so great in bike shorts, but it's not the shorts that's the problem, either.
Old 06-03-13, 12:30 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my first pair of cycling shorts when I was 17 or so while living in FL... I was a big guy over 6' but also just over 200lbs... I rode a ton while in HS but always wore a pair of over shorts... until one summer day I stepped outside to start my ride and realized "dang its hot"... it was likely in the upper 90s and high humidity (as FL tends to be)... I ran back back inside and tossed my overshorts into my room...

i'm not over 300# and getting back into cycling, this time it only took a mildly warm humid day to get me to toss the overshorts aside... riding without an extra layer just helps so much with body cooling... I just wish I'd known about how big a difference sports shirts made as I hadn't used them untill this time around... cotton just soaks up the sweat and doesn't breathe

in short... ride for yourself, for your own comfort... just being on a bike makes you a little different than other people one the road... you might get heckle from time to time (I did last week when I went out to ride around the time the local schools let out)... but I still enjoyed my ride
Old 06-03-13, 02:26 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Medic Zero

I've never worn the cycling shorts by themselves, not when I'm down at my fighting weight of 210 or at any weight between there and the 280 I am right now. I've always worn another pair of shorts over the chamois or these days, bib shorts. Part of this is I can't see doing without pockets, even if a lot of the time all I've got in them is a single handkerchief, but mostly it is because I don't want my junk out there for all the world to look at.

I rarely have chaffing issues and haven't attributed them to the second pair of shorts when I do have them.
Pockets? That's what they make jerseys for.

MTB baggies are a good compromise for people who are too self-conscious to wear tight lycra. Chamois, no chafing seams, and most have a small side pocket for some of your stuff--an ID, credit card and cash, if nothing else.
Old 06-03-13, 03:10 PM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Bibs and Cycling shorts, but the are covered by a pair of running or short athletic shorts. I just cant look at myself in those things, and if I am riding and I keep thinking about does that person over really need to know which way my sausage is leaning then I wont enjoy the ride. Even if I wasn't a clyde i still would do the shorts over the lycra thing. I also don't do cycling jerseys i dont like the super tight fitting thing, plus don't like looking like the kool-aide man. If i size up in the jersey is way too long and short sleeves become 3/4 sleeves. so i wear a sport sweat wicking shirt. Maybe if the gut goes away I will go to jerseys but still wont let the lycra bottoms free.

The reason I dont do MTB shorts as they are too long and it get annoying when my knee is not free or keeps hitting something.

Really do what makes you feel comfortable, if your not comfortable you wont ride, if you don't ride you wont have fun, and if you don't have fun, then that sucks.
Old 06-03-13, 03:16 PM
eightlab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a 6'2", 350+ heavily tattooed beardy, I already look ridiculous in some people's eyes! I stopped caring about other folks and their thoughts on me ages ago. When I took up running, I started wearing tights. Most people stare, but when I stare back, they usually move on quick enough!

Feeling silly or feeling comfortable... It's an easy choice!
Old 06-03-13, 05:36 PM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Liner shorts are the cheapest way to go, and under light, synthetic cargo shorts they work very well. Mountain bike shorts are equally functional, especially the ones with separate liners, which you can wash separately, and wear under different shorts or wind pants. I never ride fast enough to worry about aerodynamics, so skin-tight cycling ensembles do nothing for me at all.
I own a couple of lycra jerseys, which I almost never wear, because cheap mesh workout T-shirts are cooler, faster drying and more breathable, in addition to being less ridiculous looking. And you can get them in bright, traffic-stopping colors.
Athletic wear isn't the only way to stay cool and dry on a bike. I often dip into my angling wardrobe and put on a hot-weather fishing shirt, especially for a casual ride with planned stops for shopping, lunch, patio sipping or sightseeeing. These are ultralight, breathable, and usually have huge cargo pockets and mesh panels to let the breezes in. Collars keep the sun off your neck, and the full buttoned fronts offer even more ventilation. Most of them just look like regular casual shirts.

Last edited by marmot; 06-03-13 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 08:49 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw

MTB baggies are a good compromise for people who are too self-conscious to wear tight lycra. Chamois, no chafing seams, and most have a small side pocket for some of your stuff--an ID, credit card and cash, if nothing else.
That's what I'm wearing now is mtb shorts. But my average speeds are often in the 20's and I ride a lot. I don't have any chaffing issues, but I am interested in a triathlon and I don't think the mtb shorts would work very well when wet. Ah hell, I think I'll just take the plunge and gear up in some spandex.
Old 06-03-13, 10:03 PM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear my bike shorts with my Jersey. I have had a group of kids yell "Fat Ass" at me. I looked at them and said " well your looking at it!" They left with out another word.
Old 06-03-13, 11:19 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't wear cycling jerseys*. I don't like tight fitting clothes. Riding to and from work I wear moto-cross or paintball jerseys (a little baggy, but quick trying and wicking, but no pockets). When I'm riding to and from school I'm usually wearing a short sleeved button up polyester shirt.

* Thinking on it, I do have one jersey, but I only wear it on cold days in the winter as it is thicker, I wear it on windy days because it is snug, but most of the rest of the time I'm wearing a sweater as my outer layer instead, I prefer that.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 06-03-13 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 11:37 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

I've worn overshorts for many years when riding (touring, commuting, working) and one of the reasons is the access to pockets. I have several jerseys and jackets that have pockets at the front which I find so much more convenient than having to reach around my back... having two bad shoulders doesn't make it easier.

I also don't like loading up my jersey back pockets as it pulls down the shoulders and neck of the garment and puts pressure on my lower back. In my book, the bike is there to carry the load.
Old 06-04-13, 04:47 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
Even when I do big group rides with hundreds of riders and they are all wearing them, I still wear my baggy mountain bike shorts. I just feel weird wearing those tight shorts, but then other cyclists look at me like I'm weird for not wearing them!
Personally, I feel like an idiot wearing spandex shorts. It wasn't cool when Axl Rose did it and it's far less cooler when I do it.

It took me a long time before I'd wear them without wearing shorts over them and at first, I swore I'd never wear them, period. That changed after my first ride, which I now kindly refer to as the "nut-buster."

FWIW, I am embarrassed and uneasy about wearing them, especially when the neighbors see me in them; I feel like they're seeing me walking out to the mailbox in my underwear.

If I'm just riding the local bike path I don't care so much, but if I'm out on a long ride or MTBing, there's no way I'd wear spandex shorts. There are some pretty back-wooded areas we've had to travel to and if something were to happen where I'd be forced to use a phone at some back-woods, redneck bar (I live in WV), the last thing I wanna do is walk in there wearing spandex shorts.

Originally Posted by kc0bbq
I just decided at one point to not care. I don't want saddle sores or whatever chafing could happen.

I don't look any less dumb than a 140 pound guy in lycra. Especially on days like today when it is chilly and I have arm and leg warmers on. There was less spandex in a Van Halen concert in the early 80s.

Compression clothing's other benefits on long rides are just more valuable than someone else's opinions on my appearance.

We should be sponsored. More ad space on a clyde, lol.

This is the flipside. I just decided the spandex/padded shorts were a necessary evil. I no longer really ride my road bike so those spandex shorts have been collecting a lot of dust in the closet. Lately, I've invested in some baggy MTBing shorts with removeable liners. I just get a feeling my road bike might see usage maybe once or twice per season at this point.
Old 06-04-13, 06:33 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Without hiding them? Yes, I'll wait until i get a little buff before going all out
Old 06-04-13, 10:34 AM
carl_h

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a lot more embarrassed when I don't wear shorts riding my bike.
Old 06-04-13, 11:26 AM
wombat94

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 3.0 - 1998 Trek 800 Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been blessed by an innate inability to give a cr@p what someone I don't know thinks of how I look. If you are not friend, family or co-worker you might as well keep your opinion on my looks or attire to yourself because I truly will not take note of it.

Thanks to that... once I started running and cycling, I have gravitated to what is most comfortable and effective at moisture/temperature management.

Bike shorts are just too comfortable to consider doing longer rides in anything else.

Do I look good? Probably not, to the average observer, but to me - I am SO much closer to the normal size that I look WAY better than I would have a year ago... and that's good enough for me.
Old 06-04-13, 12:43 PM
brwarrior

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo, Giant Composite Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the I don't give an expletive what people think group. If they have issues with the way I look I suggest they talk to their shrink, or find one. I used to wear light athletic shorts over my bike shorts. It was a PITA getting "hung up" on the nose of the saddle. I have a genetic disorder called no@ssatall so whatever I wear just slips down (unless I wear suspenders, and unless I'm dressing up, that's not happening) and all the world gets to see my butt crack.

This year I ditched the over shorts and switched to bibs and jerseys. 5-6 mile commute to and from the office, I go full kit. It's just comfortable. I can guarantee 100% anyone riding behind me prefers the new fat guy in Lycra look to the old "covered up" look. I do get a little self-conscious in large public crowds when I ride to the local farmer's market with a group. But that's just standing out in a full kit. I know the cyclists groups could care less.
Old 06-04-13, 01:15 PM
LongT

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give in and don't be bothered. Cycling shorts are definitely functional.

Now on the the next step SHAVE YOUR LEGS!!

Bill
Old 06-04-13, 01:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
there are some new knickers out - saw them at REI, I think they are knickers, they are long, like down to the knee, made for cycling, not tight like cycling shorts, and not baggy like MTB shorts. they look fitted though so they won't blow up like running shorts do. I can imagine though that a snug fitting long short would be comfortable on the thigh. not sure how they look on me either, haven't had time to try them on. I could not find them easily online but did see these and actually, if you are a woman - I have seen this skirt idea and it's not bad - not sure why it doesn't blow up though, there must be something that keeps it down.

https://www.rei.com/product/845370/no...ke-capri-skort

https://www.rei.com/product/838662/zo...ns#video-inner

https://www.rei.com/product/827626/no...e-capri-womens

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-04-13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 02:13 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
i often feel uncomfortable when i ride to work in bike shorts
because i have about one kilometer to walk between the bike parking and my office
walking past welders and engineers and pipefitters

i have a pair of baggy shorts
and two pairs of spandex that i usually wear under something baggy
laundry permitting
but sometimes i have to be an exhibitionist
usually carrying my bike bag in front of my ball bag
Old 06-04-13, 03:00 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Horses for courses. But I always wear cycling shorts when riding--even if under slacks when I'm commuting to work. They just make too much sense--the butt pad keeps my rear from hurting, the compression makes my legs feel better on and off the bike, and the wicking effect keeps my nether regions (mostly) free from chaffing agents. So yeah, I wear 'em--but the degree of exposure is dictated by the circumstances. Pure riding and maybe a café stop? Pure kit. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't self-conscious (I'm 55 lbs away from 185, when I made those shorts look good! ), but I wear 'em. Potential for restauranting, shopping, or walking any distance? Nice shorts over the lycra.
Old 06-04-13, 04:57 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of "I don't give a ____ what I look likes," which is great, and that's the way it should be. My main issue with wearing cycling shorts is that I don't like the way I look in them and I care what I look like in them.

Well...that's besides if I got stuck having to walk into a redneck bar in the case of a dire emergency...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.