Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I want to fix the world - Step one Fix Myself

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 03:39 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excuses.
Old 06-05-13, 05:56 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
Excuses.
agreed
Old 06-05-13, 06:38 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Exercise is excellent way to reduce stress and improve health. I'm currently unemployed (going on 5 months) and I'd be in a world of hurt if I didn't exercise and release stress.
Old 06-05-13, 09:11 PM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forget buying toys. Get a good rice cooker, crock pot and a electric pressure cooker. The busiest person in the world can make healthy food in these 3 in a vary short amount of time.
Old 06-10-13, 10:07 PM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did 30 miles on the Perkiomen yesterday. mostly fine gravel which really does ramp up the work load. this 30 miles was much harder than the 43 miles going the other way (all paved) but it was a GORGEOUS trail. almost ALL shaded by tree's. SO nice. kept the temps and the sun at bay nicely.

Some pictures

Cool shot with the sun through the tree's

on the way back stopped for ice cream. tried something new. Run raisin. VERY good.

Nice bridge

Neil's pictures

https://atasteforthewoods.blogspot.co...perkiomen.html

it was a very good day for neil. finally broke through 25 miles and no bonking etc.. at the end either.!

I also think I finally have a direction to go in to stop the nasty numbing of my toes. I forgot to dig out the cycling shorts so regular underwear. of course after about 20 miles the seam under my butt started to chaff into me a bit but only on the right.

I scooched my butt cheek forward just on that side figuring to relieve the pressure some and what do you know. the numbness in my right foot went away.

this confirms IT IS my specific positioning on the seat relative to the rest of the bike IE a pressure point issue. not a shoes issue (was running out of types of shoes to try!!)

so I need to sit a wee more on the "edge" of the seat. so my plan is to move the seat back some more and to tilt the FRONT of the seat up.

a consequence of sitting further on the edge is a tendency to want to slide off which increases the butt pressure (making my butt numb) this will just make that worse.

SO if I tilt the seat up at the front I will tend to slide INTO the seat but since it has a backrest I can just adjust the backrest till I get the right "position" to keep me on the edge and not sliding anywhere (unlike the seat bottom the backrest is near infinitely adjustable)

I am thinking of replacing the bolts with two sliders (think desk drawer kind of thing) so I can REALLY fine tune adjust the position of the seat in near real time.

this will also "raise up" the seat a little bit. (I think I need even more "up" as well but every inch up needs an inch BACK to go with it)

I think I finally got a handle on what i need to do to "fit" the bike properly so I expect nice progress on that soon.
Old 06-10-13, 10:23 PM
JackoDandy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice

Not too shabby at all...
Old 06-10-13, 11:04 PM
HelpMeRhonda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. Nice job getting it done....
Old 06-10-13, 11:04 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nerys
did 30 miles on the Perkiomen yesterday.
It's great that you were out. But...

on the way back stopped for ice cream. tried something new. Run raisin. VERY good.
Not sure that was the best idea. It's really easy to feel that you've earned a treat after exercise, but it's often counterproductive.
Old 06-10-13, 11:38 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no entitlemeant of feeling of having "earned" anything. I had a light breakfast and was hot. just two scoops plenty of calories in my allowance without touch my burned calories. so I indulged. (I don't actually eat ice cream very often so little in fact I can't remember the last time I did have ice cream just don't tend to crave that kind of stuff.

my akilles heel is hamburgers. spaghetti. lasagne :-)
Old 06-11-13, 12:48 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to hear about your successful ride. And, that you think you're on the trail to saddle/seat happiness. I'm not sure I agree with tilting the front up, but, it's not like you can't and won't experiment.

Now, I also saw the ice cream comment. Don't think you're going to slip that sort of **** past this crowd unchallenged. I understand perfectly well that there can be room for ice cream within a normal 2400 or so calorie diet. Mrs. Fred and I used to enjoy the occassional small ice cream bar for desert. But, you're the one who has expressed disappointment at loosing only 1kg a week or less at times.

Lasagne? Really?
Old 06-11-13, 12:57 AM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Food wise? Nothing and I mean NOTHING is better than lasagne. nothing. its my most favorite food on this here planet :-)
Old 06-11-13, 08:41 AM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no entitlemeant of feeling of having "earned" anything. I had a light breakfast and was hot. just two scoops plenty of calories in my allowance without touch my burned calories. so I indulged. (I don't actually eat ice cream very often so little in fact I can't remember the last time I did have ice cream just don't tend to crave that kind of stuff.

my akilles heel is hamburgers. spaghetti. lasagne :-)
I see no problem in enjoying an ice cream cone after a long ride like that. Great job!
Old 06-11-13, 10:07 AM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
I see no problem in enjoying an ice cream cone after a long ride like that. Great job!
I would not be surprised if the ice cream equaled or surpassed the amount of calories burned while riding - and didn't provide very good nutrition. Replace those calories with fruit and you'd be much more full and probably end up with more of a deficit.

If you want to be a fit big man then great. But given that you've expressed displeasure with your progress and given your statements about food - I really think it's your diet that's holding you back. Not your exercise.
Old 06-11-13, 11:51 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I would not be surprised if the ice cream equaled or surpassed the amount of calories burned while riding - and didn't provide very good nutrition. Replace those calories with fruit and you'd be much more full and probably end up with more of a deficit.

If you want to be a fit big man then great. But given that you've expressed displeasure with your progress and given your statements about food - I really think it's your diet that's holding you back. Not your exercise.
exactly
Old 06-11-13, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Now, I also saw the ice cream comment. Don't think you're going to slip that sort of **** past this crowd unchallenged. I understand perfectly well that there can be room for ice cream within a normal 2400 or so calorie diet. Mrs. Fred and I used to enjoy the occassional small ice cream bar for desert. But, you're the one who has expressed disappointment at loosing only 1kg a week or less at times.

Lasagne? Really?
I like this guy.

Wonnder if the OP realizes that he may have scarffed down 500 calories or more with those two scoops depending on the brand and the size of the scoops.

As for lasagna, I am glad I felt guilty after recently having a first course serving after a 75 mile ride with over 5,000' feet of climbing.

Wait. I am having a flashback to the $7 bag of mushrooms rationalization that appeared early on in this thread.
Old 06-11-13, 01:59 PM
MattFoley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say the ice cream was 500 calories. 30 mile ride/12mph = 2.5 hours. Figure cycling burns about 300-400 calories per hour, so say 850 calories conservatively for a net burn of 350 calories. I mean, sure the ice cream almost negates the direct caloric burn of the ride, but if it fits into his daily alotted calories before he even factors in the added exercise, I don't see why it would affect his weight loss. I would go crazy if I was dieting without some allowance for indulgences here and there...
Old 06-11-13, 02:18 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
Say the ice cream was 500 calories. 30 mile ride/12mph = 2.5 hours. Figure cycling burns about 300-400 calories per hour, so say 850 calories conservatively for a net burn of 350 calories. I mean, sure the ice cream almost negates the direct caloric burn of the ride, but if it fits into his daily alotted calories before he even factors in the added exercise, I don't see why it would affect his weight loss. I would go crazy if I was dieting without some allowance for indulgences here and there...
Thats why its all about diet. Imagine it; 30 MILES on a bike!! And an ice-cream cone defeats the objective.

Its almost better to sit on the couch, watch a movie but chomp on celery.
Old 06-11-13, 02:21 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
According to the "rules" the man was clearly due pie. If in fact there was no pie available I think he did a great job substituting ice cream for pie and avoiding being out of compliance with the rules. Without knowing all the details, I commend him for making a high pressure decision and executing on it.
Old 06-11-13, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I have seen the guy ride. 400 calories/hr on a trail? Not buying it for a second. (BTW...A lot of those calorie burn programs are simply rot.) And from reading the past posts, there seems to be indulgences here, there and everywhere that are hindering his weight loss.

Frankly, I have read excuses and rationalizations from the git go and to the point where I now find it rediculous. I know it's nice to be supportive and all, but IMO it's a two-way street.
Old 06-11-13, 04:42 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't been following this thread. However, I happened to read the last few posts and was intrigued, so I invested an hour of my life in reading it.

Nerys, I hope you achieve your goals. I have to say,though, that i understand and share the scepticism of many recent posters. Reading the thread from start to finish, the tone is consistent, and unpromising. You say you are determined to make changes, and no doubt you believe it; but page after page is filled with advice and encouragement from others who have tackled similar problems, and with your rejection of their advice and your explanations - some would say excuses - of why their suggestions are impracticable, expensive, don't fit your lifestyle.

I'm not unsympathetic, you're trying to do something that is probably harder than anything I have ever done. But your narrative reads as if you want the changes, but aren't prepared to do the things that will make those changes happen. Ypu really need to think about that, imo.
Old 06-11-13, 06:25 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nerys, you rode your bike, you had some ice cream, good on ya! This could have been a thread of " I didn't do anything today, but I did have two scoops of ice cream". I know that the ice cream wasn't a "reward", but a different type of treat for the day, and I also know that you would not have had the treat if you had not have ridden. So, to all the naysayers out there, pthooie on them. Ride your bike and have fun the way you want to do so, this is your journey, not theirs.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 06-11-13, 07:04 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thestoutdog
Nerys, you rode your bike, you had some ice cream, good on ya! This could have been a thread of " I didn't do anything today, but I did have two scoops of ice cream". I know that the ice cream wasn't a "reward", but a different type of treat for the day, and I also know that you would not have had the treat if you had not have ridden. So, to all the naysayers out there, pthooie on them. Ride your bike and have fun the way you want to do so, this is your journey, not theirs.
+1
Old 06-11-13, 07:52 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thestoutdog
So, to all the naysayers out there, pthooie on them. Ride your bike and have fun the way you want to do so, this is your journey, not theirs.
As long as he isn't complaining about the lack of results then fine. But if you read through the thread that's not what's going on. As I said - if he wants to be a fitter big man the great. But that's not what he's said he wanted.
Old 06-11-13, 09:03 PM
HelpMeRhonda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think OP threw that bit about stopping for ice cream in just to spice up the thread. :-) If so, it worked.... :-)
Old 06-12-13, 08:12 AM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People preach diet as though it has a direct effect on them or something. What Nerys eats (or doesn't) does not affect you - only him. Whether he rides 5 miles or 50 miles does not affect you - only him. "But he whines about the lack of results..." So what? That's his prerogative. I think everyone has made it perfectly clear that eating ice cream at the end of a ride will negate some of the net calorie loss and slow the weight loss, so move along! The reason I shed the weight I did but stopped about where I am instead of going lighter is because I found a good place for me where I eat what I want and exercise as much as I want. And although I'm still a thick dude, I'm no longer morbidly obese and offensive even to my OWN eyes. Want to lecture me about how I could still stand to lose another 100 pounds? Weight loss is a PERSONAL journey. It is definitely NOT a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.