Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

POLL: Do you have a Brooks saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you have a Brooks saddle?
No, never tried one
22.02%
Yes, I have one and love it
26.61%
Yes, I have many and want more
26.61%
Brooks, one saddle to rule them all
3.67%
No, tried Brooks, hated it
8.26%
No, had one that never fit me right
4.59%
No, but I'm Brooks-curious
5.50%
I had one ... wish I'd kept it
0.92%
What is this "Brooks" you speak of?
0.92%
I like Mel Brooks films
10.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Do you have a Brooks saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 11:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
C17 on my main road bike and main gravel bike. I would buy a couple more if I had $200 that I didnt want to spend on other stuff first.

I live the C17 way more than the B17. With a C17 I dont have to think about it for rain/water and the nose can be set level. Some B17 saddles look like the rider is preparing themselves for a proctology exam.
Old 02-17-21, 11:50 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
I personally love Brooks saddles but will be the first to admit that selection for each bike and set up is crucial. It is essentially a hammock type saddle that requires the correct tilt for your riding position on a particular bike. The quickest to get comfortable was a Honey B17 Aged I bought a couple of years ago. My garage in summer with some Brooks equipped bikes.
Old 02-17-21, 12:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I currently ride Brooks, Gyes and Ideale. I have also ridden Fujita and Wrights. I prefer leather slung saddles of this type WHEN the type of bicycle warrants it. So, I don't use them when the saddle to bar drop is beyond 3" or so, or where absolute weight savings are a must. Otherwise, they're terrific.

I've had well over a dozen Brooks-like saddle. Don't overlook the Fujita saddles, particularly their Professional models. Pretty darned nice.

The modern production B-17 isn't very good at all. The leather is miserably thin and compliant. It'll stretch out much faster than previous generations did. Do not recommend.
I guess you haven't seen the B17 Special. The leather isn't thin.
Old 02-17-21, 12:44 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I love my B-17. I can't get my C-17 to work for me. 75 miles on by B-17 us o problem. The C-17 leaves some pain after 20 mile exercise rides, every other day. I expected it to be the same but it hasn't been that way for me.
Old 02-17-21, 01:16 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I guess you haven't seen the B17 Special. The leather isn't thin.
I'm familiar with it. It is less commonly used.

Someone mentioned the Team Pro, that has nice leather, too. I had one on my fixed gear for ~5 years or so, and it never broke in a bit. Although it was comfortable for me from the outset.

The 1970s Fujita FB-17 had better leather than the stock Brooks B-17.
Old 02-17-21, 01:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
This is a good example of how this forum doesn't represent the general cycling population. At this point, according to the poll, 65% of riders use Brooks saddles.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-21, 01:54 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Missing my category: "Never tried one, and have no plans to do so." I like perineum cutouts.
Old 02-17-21, 02:06 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Missing my category: "Never tried one, and have no plans to do so." I like perineum cutouts.
You couldn't find a poll selection that fits?
  • No, never tried one

Cutouts ... like this Brooks C-15? (hint: Brooks has a cutout versions of most saddles)

Old 02-17-21, 02:12 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Never had a Brooks but I do have a Selle Anatomica X-2 (which I understand is similar) on my old Roubaix and liked it just fine.
Old 02-17-21, 04:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
None of the boxes exactly fit my situation.

Once I discovered that Brooks saddles eliminated my "numb manhood" issue I went all Brooks until I stopped riding diamond frame bicycles.
You don't like Mel Brooks films? Shame!

As I literally just posted elsewhere in the forum I have 5 Cambiums and plans for more. Love that saddle. I do wish it were lighter but it works well for my body.
Old 02-17-21, 04:23 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I had one that came with an old Raleigh I got, but it was very uncomfortable. I felt like I was sitting on the rails. Perhaps it was the condition or age or because it was an OEM model, and I am curious to try a new aftermarket one.

My touring buddy has a Cambium and it does not feel good on my arse, so I would try a leather one if I ever get the urge
Old 02-17-21, 04:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I got a B17 on my touring bike and another on my round town hybrid. I used to have a C17 which was great for short rides. Longer rides I felt it was too big.
Old 02-17-21, 04:50 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Brooks on both bikes, seems fine for 6hr days on road, or trail touring. I did have a Botecchia road bike with a Turbo that never changed shape, it was fine to.
What's with all of the people who did not also check that they like Mel Brooks films? Have they no souls?
Old 02-17-21, 06:09 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
B-17 Imperial on my Trek 520, but Adamo Road saddle on my other two road bikes.
Old 02-17-21, 06:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I have a B-17 w/ copper rivets still in the box after two years. Think I'll need some vintage steel to give it a home.
Old 02-17-21, 07:32 PM
phughes

I have the B-17 Special with the copper rivets on my Surly LHT. It is incredibly comfortable, once I realized it had been set too high. Once it was adjusted to the proper height, for me, it has disappeared beneath me. My last tour proved it to me, easily doing 35-70 mile days, and being able to do it again the next morning, with no discomfort.

I found this beauty in a small town in Iowa, at a bike shop. I was spending some time over the summer on year, with my parents, and had brought my 1984 Ross Mt. Rainier with me. I rode every day between 10 and 40 miles. I stopped at a bike shop downtown, and was just looking around. The owner asked if he could help me, and I asked, "You wouldn't happen to have a Brooks saddle would you?" He said he thought he might, and dug under his counter and pulled out a really ugly, completely covered in dust, Brooks B-72. He said he traded something for it. I looked it over, and other than being really dirty, it looked serviceable. I was going to need the old style seat post for it so we looked for one that would fit the Ross. I asked how much for the seat and seat post. He said $50, so I bought them. I took it back to my parents' house, and cleaned the dust off it. It had never been installed on a bike. Under the dust and grime, it was new. That seat was like a pillow from day one. It is made from a thinner leather than the B17, and it has the cool vertical springs.

Likes For phughes:
Old 02-17-21, 08:04 PM
FSOG Rich

Bikes: 1974 Peugeot UO-8, Litespeed Tuscany, 1974 Raleigh Tourist, Trek Town bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
B-17 on my Peugeot UO-8 B-67 on my Raleigh Tourist. Love em'....
Likes For FSOG Rich:
Old 02-18-21, 09:14 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I got a Brooks B17 saddle for Christmas and mounted it on my Cannondale Synapse which is on my smart trainer for the Winter. I have close to 500 miles on it and did not have a break-in period that I would call painful, just uncomfortable. It is now very comfortable and I look forward to the Spring and riding with it outdoors.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 02-18-21, 12:13 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
You couldn't find a poll selection that fits?
  • No, never tried one

Cutouts ... like this Brooks C-15? (hint: Brooks has a cutout versions of most saddles)

"Never tried one." fit, but it didn't have the right qualifier (like the rest of the Yes/No options did) to tell the whole story of WHY I didn't try one.

I'm glad you responded to me, because I didn't realize a Brooks cutout version even existed! In that case I'd like to change my poll selection to "No, but I'm Brooks curious".

Although I'm quite satisfied with my Specialized Power Expert, professionally fitted to me at an LBS.

My understanding is that the upside of Brooks (in general) is that the leather eventually molds to your sit spots for a more even distribution of weight, but the downside is increased care and maintenance, amirite?
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-18-21, 12:46 PM
phughes

"Never tried one." fit, but it didn't have the right qualifier (like the rest of the Yes/No options did) to tell the whole story of WHY I didn't try one.

I'm glad you responded to me, because I didn't realize a Brooks cutout version even existed! In that case I'd like to change my poll selection to "No, but I'm Brooks curious".

Although I'm quite satisfied with my Specialized Power Expert, professionally fitted to me at an LBS.

My understanding is that the upside of Brooks (in general) is that the leather eventually molds to your sit spots for a more even distribution of weight, but the downside is increased care and maintenance, amirite?
Generally speaking, yes, it molds to you, and it also gives a little as you ride. The leather models breathe much better than vinyl, or other vinyl-like covers, so for me the leather is more comfortable. The leather is also slicker on the sides than a synthetic cover, so whatever I am wearing slides over it more easily, no chafing. As for care, if you call treating the top with Proofide once in a while, when I think of it, usually around once a year, and throwing a shower cap on it when it is parked and it calls for rain, increased care and maintenance, then yes. I carry a shower cap on tour, and put it on at night, or when it is really raining and I'm riding. Light rain I don't worry about. Putting the shower cap on it takes all of a few seconds.

Or you could be like my brother. He has a Brooks on his. When we were kids in the 70s, my oldest brother bough a Raleigh used, that had a Brooks on it. My middle brother got it from him. He rode multiple RAGBRIAs on it, as well as a tour from Iowa to Oklahoma, then joined a ride across Oklahoma, like RAGBRAI. He still has the bike, and the seat. It is still good. He has never treated the leather, and I have never seen him cover it. I don't recommend that particular method of maintenance, but that is what he did. Suffice to say, the maintenance needs are minimal, and greatly exaggerated.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-18-21, 12:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I must say, I like the polling on BF ... you get broad options for the responses to the poll question and get details discussion in the comments.

I wouldn't want to talk anybody into a Brooks ... crotches are like snowflakes, every one is unique . I will share my experience and love for Brooks, I have 6 bikes, 3 with Brooks and 3 without Brooks. I don't have a Brooks on a pure road bike, for example.

My B-17 (leather) saddle is on my commuter bike (remember when we commuted?). This bike/saddle has seen some crazy conditions and held up fine. I use Proofide (a leather conditioning cream) a couple times a year, but not too often. The leather shouldn't be left in the rain (or cover it while it's out in the rain), and I ride in the rain with full fenders to keep road spray from hitting the underside of the saddle. The leather can be ridden in the rain, but keeping it from getting totally drenched helps keep it from sagging. So a leather Brooks is a little more care then my other saddles, but not a lot more care. My B-17 is so comfy for my tushy, I'm happy to ride 20-30 miles in street clothes (I won't be comfortable doing that with any other saddles).

Brooks has some light weight options with CF rails, but they are typically heavier. Again, I don't have Brooks on my road bikes. The bikes that have Brooks are far from feather-weights, the saddle isn't gonna make it or break it.
Old 02-18-21, 03:06 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
While saddle shopping, I tried a Brooks B17 just to see what all the hoopla was about. It was uncomfortable from the get go and while I realized that I had to break it in, the more I rode on it the worse it became. It was so bad that it took several days after giving up the saddle before I was able to ride on my old saddle. That was in 2012. My fitter recommended and ISM Prologue and I've been happy ever since. I have one on each road bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-18-21, 03:12 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by John_V
While saddle shopping, I tried a Brooks B17 just to see what all the hoopla was about. It was uncomfortable from the get go and while I realized that I had to break it in, the more I rode on it the worse it became. It was so bad that it took several days after giving up the saddle before I was able to ride on my old saddle. That was in 2012. My fitter recommended and ISM Prologue and I've been happy ever since. I have one on each road bike.
FWIW - I wouldn't use a B-17 on a road bike. I have a C-15 carved (pic) on gravel racing bike, I might put that saddle on a road bike ... but B-17 saddles are best for more upright sitting positions.

Old 02-19-21, 02:18 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
"Once Saddle to Rule Them All."

When I was younger, I scoffed at Brook saddles, they were for guys who rode bikes with panniers and orange flags. I used what were popular at the time, Selle Italia, I loved my Selle San Marco Rolls, and then used the Flite when it was introduced. These saddles were comfortable enough provided I wore good shorts, was in good shape, and all other adjustments were correct.

I finally got a Brooks saddle long after I had stopped riding competitively, whenI began commuting to and from work by bicycle. My first ride with the saddle was awful it was literally hard as a brick. But I knew they took time to break in, so I remained patient, and it got more and more comfortable. Eventually it fit me like a glove, and I could spend all day in the saddle without needing bike shorts.

For general riding, the ordinary B17 was the most comfortable. It was wide enough in the back to support my weight, and reduce pressure on the center and front. I got into more competitive riding again, and got a Brooks Swift titanium. It is quite comfortable in shorts, but a little too narrow on the back when riding without bike shorts.

Eventually I put Brooks saddles on all of my bikes.
Old 02-19-21, 05:51 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Tried a Brooks, but found I much prefer Selle Anatomica. I have X Series saddles on my gravel bike and tandem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.