Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CdA of road frames in da wind tunnel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 05:05 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts

Anyone have any pointers to articles or research studies that get into the CdA of different types of road bike framesets?

Have seen frame differential estimations of .01 to .02 for standard road vs aero road frames in other forums... and plenty of wind tunnel studies looking at complete road machines with and without riders. With all the marketing hype around aero frame shapes (ellipse, foil and truncated wedge, etc), wondering about CdA/Cd research targeting framesets alone. Tho maybe a moot point if manuf like Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc, continue moving in the direction of proprietary wheelsets designed for their own specific aero frame offerings...
Old 04-21-23, 05:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
…proprietary wheelsets designed for their own specific aero frame offerings...
proprietary wheelsets? never seen that on an aero road bike. tarmac, venge, propel, madone, aren’t they all standard through axle, shipped with totally interchangeable roval, bontrager, etc wheels or as frames on which you can put any appropriate wheels you want?
Old 04-21-23, 05:50 PM
ctak

I heard some manuf have designed aero frames to be paired with in-house wheelsets (Madone SLR designed / tested with Bontrager wheelset, etc)... moving in the general direction of total aero package

Old 04-21-23, 06:41 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I wouldn't think the drag coefficient of just the frame would in any way be meaningful.
Likes For sced:
Old 04-21-23, 07:12 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by sced
I wouldn't think the drag coefficient of just the frame would in any way be meaningful.
8-12w max real world / best case avg power savings for a fully aero frame even on a route like Roubaix, from what I've read. Lead engineer for the 4th gen SS Evo, Nathan Barry, made a similar point re: the new climbing + sprint (their words not mine) frame design. Prob also why semi aero Colnagos aren't slowing down UAE, either
Old 04-21-23, 07:22 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
no no no.. Dave's position from bike to bike makes his data pretty useless...
Old 04-22-23, 03:02 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I feel like the difference in CDA when I'm wearing a jersey vs wearing a t-shirt would be on part or greater than that between an aero vs traditional frame only - can anyone confirm?
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-22-23, 08:37 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I feel like the difference in CDA when I'm wearing a jersey vs wearing a t-shirt would be on part or greater than that between an aero vs traditional frame only - can anyone confirm?
Depends on the jersey, the T-shirt, and your position on the bike, but probably in the right ballpark.

[Edited to add] To clarify, the difference between a good jersey and a loose T-shirt is huge. The difference between a good aero frame and a round-tube bike is also huge. And, of course, you can do both: you can wear a good jersey and ride a good aero bike. That's allowed.

Last edited by RChung; 04-22-23 at 08:59 AM.