Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for a nutted derailleur hanger but not sure about sizes etc

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 03:24 PM
amokeu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I'm going to be converting my Mafia Blackjack to geared as it's going to be used as more of a general riding bike, I'm using a Hope Pro 4 rear hub with a 10mm female axle, would anybody be able to send a link to an appropriate bolted/nutted derailleur hanger or tell me exactly what I would need to look for as there is loads of random options, thanks.
Old 04-16-21, 04:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
And we will do this consulting/design work with no photos of more info? BTW what's a female axle? The axles I see are more male like in shape

Really projects like this have no script and instead depend on the ability to fabricate, design or have a supply of various bits to get the creative juices going. Dropout shape and hanger interfacing can be all over the board. Do you have a LBS with hangers on hand to take your bike to and rummage through their options? Andy
Old 04-16-21, 04:51 PM
amokeu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And we will do this consulting/design work with no photos of more info? BTW what's a female axle? The axles I see are more male like in shape

Really projects like this have no script and instead depend on the ability to fabricate, design or have a supply of various bits to get the creative juices going. Dropout shape and hanger interfacing can be all over the board. Do you have a LBS with hangers on hand to take your bike to and rummage through their options? Andy
I'm not currently home to add pictures so I was hoping somebody who knows the frame would know, if not I'll add some soon. And by female axle I mean where the bolt screws into the axle as opposed to the male where the bolt goes over the axle lol, but thanks for reading anyway, if not I'll email mafia and see if they have any ideas.
Old 04-16-21, 09:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
https://derailleurhanger.com/
Old 04-17-21, 06:48 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
The current Blackjack D has rear dropouts that look like trackends to me: short horizontal and rear opening. Perhaps the Problem Solvers chain tensioner with hanger would be a nice option for you: https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...hain_tensioner .

Old 04-17-21, 11:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Again dude, get a proper mountain bike. This was not meant for gears it is designed as a dirt jumper which doesn't have or need gears.
Old 04-17-21, 09:41 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
The current Blackjack D has rear dropouts that look like trackends to me: short horizontal and rear opening. Perhaps the Problem Solvers chain tensioner with hanger would be a nice option for you: https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...hain_tensioner .

Here you go, a Shimano RD-TY500 rear derailleur with a rear-facing claw mount, for track-style dropouts. Although I doubt your dropouts are long enough to hold it securely. There really isn't enough real estate on your dropout to hold both a derailleur and a wheel.