Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Intelligent analysis of the 23 Tour. Where?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 08:22 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

Where can one find decent analysis (or even discussion) of each stage of the 2023 Tour?
the NYTimes is a full two days behind.
L'Equipe is paywalled.

Why did UAE send Adam Yates out front in the last 2 kms today?
I'm just don't understand the tactic.
Old 07-16-23, 08:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
LR. lantern rouge
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 07-16-23, 11:08 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I don't know about recaps in print but there's plenty on YouTube to watch. I like Chris Horner, Lantern Rouge, JB2, and Phil Gaimon.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-16-23, 11:10 PM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by pstock
My speculation as I was watching: maybe to draw an attack from Vingegaard to set up a counter attack from Pogacar, or maybe to get two guys up the road to pace Pogacar to the finish if Pogacar was able to get a gap on Vingegaard (but he was not).
Old 07-17-23, 12:52 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I like the ITV4 (free UK TV station) coverage.
Commentators are Gary Imlach, David Millar + Daniel Friebe and Matt Rendell.
Currently supported by Ellen van Dijk (30 weeks pregnant).

They actually work out the team tactics on the fly (live coverage) and it's really interesting.

Apparently a VPN will let you want it for free, catch up at ITVX https://www.itv.com/watch/tour-de-france/34067
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 07-17-23, 06:43 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
As suggested earlier, lanterne rouge; also, Inner Ring (inrg.com). Cycling News (paywalled) is ok if you can be arsed to subscribe.
Old 07-17-23, 07:40 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Originally Posted by tFUnK
I don't know about recaps in print but there's plenty on YouTube to watch. I like Chris Horner, Lantern Rouge, JB2, and Phil Gaimon.
Just watched a couple of Phil Gaimon commentary videos. He's excellent. They are intelligent, tightly edited, and brisk.
and so far, there are no delay ads. [ CORRECTION. on his own site there are no popup ads but on Youtube there are.]
good tip.
(though he didn't comment on why Adam Yates was sent up front.)
Peter

Last edited by pstock; 07-17-23 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-17-23, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Where can one find decent analysis (or even discussion) of each stage of the 2023 Tour?
the NYTimes is a full two days behind.
L'Equipe is paywalled.

Possibly to see if Jonas would chase and waste his energy leaving Tadej to get behind Jonas. Tadej likes to be behind his quarry because he has a explosive sprint on climbs when he can surprise them and be at some speed before they know what he's doing. However yesterday he seemed tired to me. He wasn't able to maintain his acceleration for very long at all. Jonas seemed to be having a better day on that climb.

If Tadej could have gapped Jonas, then having a teammate up there to pace him would have been a help even at the slow speeds of the climb. But as it played out, I think in essence it was a last ditch hope that they'd pull it off because Tadej was aware he didn't have the legs and was hoping Jonas had worse legs.

However other reasons are plausible too. What would you have done?

You can always ask in the Professional Cycling For the Fans sub-forum to get some opinions from them. But remember, no spoilers! Especially in the title of your thread.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-17-23 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-17-23, 09:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
GTCC (Geraint Thomas Cycling Club) daily podcasts are following the Tour.

GCN/Eurosport Breakaway for stage analysis.
Old 07-17-23, 09:31 AM
pstock

Stage 15 tactics

Originally Posted by Iride01
Possibly to see if Jonas would chase and waste his energy leaving Tadej to get behind Jonas.
though why would Jonas chase Yates, who is not a serious threat in the GC?

However other reasons are plausible too. What would you have done?
What would I have done?
I have no clue.
I think I understand most of the classic tactics but these are very strange situations that seem to have a lot of people scratching their heads.

Last edited by pstock; 07-17-23 at 09:33 AM. Reason: change title
Old 07-17-23, 09:40 AM
PeteHski

I think the plan was for Pog to try and jump the gap to Yates and then get paced to the line gaining further time with Jonas left on his own. But It didn’t work. Jonas was too strong.

He let Yates go ahead first because he knew Jonas would not chase him. Pog was basically feeling confident and hoping Jonas would crack. In hindsight he would have been better off keeping Yates with him and going for a smaller jump nearer the finish. He probably would have gained a few seconds that way instead of nothing. But he took the risk for a potentially much bigger gain. If Jonas had blown up he could have taken a minute over the last couple of a km.
Old 07-17-23, 05:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I finally got to watch this stage and I don't see any real mystery.

Yates is fourth in GC behind Rodriguez of Ineos, and Rodriguez had dropped off the back of the yellow-jersey peloton in which Yates, Pogacer, and Vingegaard were riding.

Yates, Pogacer's last lieutenant, put in a slow acceleration halfway up the last climb, which shook off all the rest of the contenders save Vingegaard. Yate's lifting the pace made it certain that Pogacer would have only Vingegaard to compete with in the closing kilometer--no one else would be making moves and possibly hindering Pogacer's plans.

Since Pogacer and Vingegaard were marking each other, Yates had a chance to take off up the road to try to get the 37 seconds he lacked to knock Rodriguez off the podium. In the TdF, podium positions are a big deal ... even a top-ten finish is a big thing for a rider and his team.

For UAE, it made perfect sense to have Yates race for third place---he had already done his job to isolate Vingegaard against Pogacer, and also, Marc Soler was up the road to help out if needed. UAE has pretty much the perfect situation---Vingo all alone, with Pogacer and two team mates---there was no reason for Yates Not to go, to bring himself and the team a little added glory.

In the end Rodriguez fought back and only lost about 20 seconds, I think, but still, that puts Yates that much closer to a TdF podium position in paris.
Old 07-18-23, 02:53 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Since Pogacer and Vingegaard were marking each other, Yates had a chance to take off up the road to try to get the 37 seconds he lacked to knock Rodriguez off the podium. In the TdF, podium positions are a big deal ... even a top-ten finish is a big thing for a rider and his team.

For UAE, it made perfect sense to have Yates race for third place---he had already done his job to isolate Vingegaard against Pogacer, and also, Marc Soler was up the road to help out if needed. UAE has pretty much the perfect situation---Vingo all alone, with Pogacer and two team mates---there was no reason for Yates Not to go, to bring himself and the team a little added glory.

In the end Rodriguez fought back and only lost about 20 seconds, I think, but still, that puts Yates that much closer to a TdF podium position in paris.
At first when it happened I thought it might have been a move for Yates to gain time in the top 5, but it seemed like he got up to Soler and waited (TV doesn't really show this) so I think it was a move to pace Pogacar if he was able to get a gap on Vingegaard but he wasn't.

If Yates didn't wait then he could have gained some good time on GC but that's not their priority.

In hindsight it was probably a missed opportunity for Jonas to attack but I guess in the moment he was afraid of a counter attack from Pogacar.
Old 07-18-23, 04:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tFUnK
At first when it happened I thought it might have been a move for Yates to gain time in the top 5, but it seemed like he got up to Soler and waited (TV doesn't really show this) so I think it was a move to pace Pogacar if he was able to get a gap on Vingegaard but he wasn't.

If Yates didn't wait then he could have gained some good time on GC but that's not their priority.

In hindsight it was probably a missed opportunity for Jonas to attack but I guess in the moment he was afraid of a counter attack from Pogacar.
This is exactly what Geraint Thomas was thinking too. Even though Yates is a strong podium contender, UAE are 100% committed to Pog winning and so Yates will be chained to Pog right through to the bitter end. Especially as the GC is so finely balanced. GT was saying that this situation will make it very hard for Yates to get on the podium with the other podium contenders more free to race. Yates is going to have to turn himself inside out for Pog while Bora and Ineos target the podium with their 2 guys, as that is the best result they can possibly achieve. UAE on the other hand are not going to be consoled by Yates getting on the podium if Pog loses the race to Jonas by a handful of seconds! They would take a Pog win and Yates narrowly missing the podium every time.
Old 07-18-23, 05:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I agree ... but in this situation ... It looked to me, an ignorant observer, that Yates was losing steam and stopped when he reached Soler to let Soler pull. Otherwise, why let Yates leave Pogacer at all? Yates had been pacing Pogacer for a few kilometers already ... sending him ahead didn't have any benefit, particularly because Soler was already there, out ahead .... if Yates burned out (as apparently he did) going up to Soler, he would be less able to help Pogacer ... and if he just set a pace which Pogacer could hold (which he had been doing) he wasn't helping Pogacer any more by hanging there .... basically Yates had done all he could do for Pogacer. It was down to which of the top two had the legs on the day. Yates was no longer much a part of the equation ... IMO.

I agree, UAE would be happy if the whole team dropped out, so long as Pogacer won in GC. However .... in this situation, where Yates was not absolutely needed in the final km .....
Old 07-18-23, 05:18 AM
Maelochs

Oh, I am sorry, you wanted Intelligent analysis .....

I will shut up then.
Old 07-18-23, 05:21 AM
Maelochs

I would ask the question to one of the website mentioned above .... or the commentators at NBC or the World Feed (@antmccrossan on Twitter.) Maybe one of the reporters could ask someone from the team?
Old 07-18-23, 06:32 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I agree ... but in this situation ... It looked to me, an ignorant observer, that Yates was losing steam and stopped when he reached Soler to let Soler pull. Otherwise, why let Yates leave Pogacer at all? Yates had been pacing Pogacer for a few kilometers already ... sending him ahead didn't have any benefit, particularly because Soler was already there, out ahead .... if Yates burned out (as apparently he did) going up to Soler, he would be less able to help Pogacer ... and if he just set a pace which Pogacer could hold (which he had been doing) he wasn't helping Pogacer any more by hanging there .... basically Yates had done all he could do for Pogacer. It was down to which of the top two had the legs on the day. Yates was no longer much a part of the equation ... IMO.

I agree, UAE would be happy if the whole team dropped out, so long as Pogacer won in GC. However .... in this situation, where Yates was not absolutely needed in the final km .....
Only thing I can think of - Yates could move up in the standings. Raise the team rank, more money for the team (not that they need it).

Pogs was going to blow by him no matter what he did, and he did. Pogs and Ving dropped everyone like a hot rock when they decided to go - I can only imagine the move was to benifit Yates, Pogs was going to sprint full gas and drafting or "help" dosen't matter when you are the fastest guy in that situation.
Old 07-18-23, 06:57 AM
zionwright
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice info
Old 07-18-23, 07:30 AM
PeteHski

The pundits view (and mine) was that Pog was feeling strong and wanted to use his explosive kick to gap Jonas with a few km to go. If he could have gapped across to Yates and Soler, while dropping Jonas, then they could have pulled him to the line, potentially taking more time from Jonas riding on his own. Basically a reversal of what Jumbo tried on an earlier stage with Van Aert up the road - which also failed.

The conservative approach would have been to ride with Yates and Jonas then try to take a gap in the last 500 m. But he knew that would only gain a handful of seconds at best. Although it would have been more likely to work with Pog's sprint power.
Old 07-18-23, 09:40 AM
pstock

You can always ask in the Professional Cycling For the Fans sub-forum to get some opinions from them. .
Ahhah. That's where this question belonged.
I looked for a subforum like that but couldn't find it.
Old 07-18-23, 05:27 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Chris Horner "butterfly effect" on YT

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 07-18-23, 07:57 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
The way Horner pronounces things is so funny.
Old 07-18-23, 08:20 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The pundits view (and mine)
I have a lot of respect for you .... and not a ton for some of the "pundits."
Old 07-18-23, 09:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by trashbiker
The way Horner pronounces things is so funny.
Like his favorite phrase, “knuckle heads”? 😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.