Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Well, I guess we are a little unusual

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 06:31 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

This morning I woke up and while getting my personal tasks done realized I needed more mouthwash and shampoo. About ten am I said to Mrs. Tractorlegs "I'm gonna head over to Walgreens and grab some stuff, do you need anything?" She said no. So, I went out to the garage, hooked up the "Joe Blow" and made sure the bike tires were up to 80psi, then opened up the garage door and rolled the bike out. I went back in the house, got my backpack, put on my jacket/skid lid/gloves, and as I was walking out the door my wife said "Do you have any idea how weird you are?" I had no idea what she was talking about at the time. I hopped on the Black Knight bike, rolled down the driveway past my car, and easily spun the couple of miles over to the walgreens. There's a lot of city traffic between home and walgreen's, so I call it "Playing Dodge Car". So I locked it up, went in, got my stuff, played some more "Dodge Car" on the way home, and as I was walking into the house she repeated her "weird" sentiment. I had noticed today that there were no other cyclists out today - only cars. I can't imagine what Mrs. Tractorlegs was referring to.

Ride Free!
Old 02-02-13, 07:24 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I never thought much of cookie cutter people. You know, the ones who look, think and act like everyone else just so nobody thinks they're "weird". I find weird people much more interesting than the Ken and Barbie set.
Old 02-02-13, 09:29 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I can't imagine why people would all want to be the same .
I don't see the unconventional as "weird, just interesting.
Go be who you are.
Old 02-03-13, 06:35 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of my more polite family members and friends have called me "a bit of an individual" or an "eccentric" since I was in my early 20s, and before that the just they would just say that I had my "own way of doing things", but these days most people know me as "the guy with the parrot that rides a bike everywhere". To me though, this is simply my life, and I don't really let other people's judgements have an effect on how I live it.

People that I don't even know wave to me everywhere I go, and they often come right up to me to talk at convenience stores, restaurants, grocery stores, or just on the street, and periodically one of my neighbors will tell me how someone 30-40 miles away asked if they knew me when they told them where they lived. I don't really feel that I am that different from most other people, but I try very hard to be tolerant and helpful to everyone I meet, and I think that most people look right past my "peculiarities" and accept me for who I am.

Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I can't imagine why people would all want to be the same.....
One of my favorite t-shirts that I wear quite often says "You laugh because I am different, and I laugh that you are all the same". The first one I had was a gift from my wife on our second date, and I have had 2 or 3 ever since.
Old 02-03-13, 07:49 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Riding a bike 2 miles to go shopping makes you unconventional only in the USA. In about 90% of the rest of the world that is pretty much standard operating procedure.
Old 02-03-13, 07:54 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride 12 miles every week to costco for shopping. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but given the congestion and lack of parking I get there and back faster anyway, with a nice 24 mile ride in the middle. If thats 'weird' then so be it.
Old 02-04-13, 08:34 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Riding a bike 2 miles to go shopping makes you unconventional only in the USA. In about 90% of the rest of the world that is pretty much standard operating procedure.
My wife thought I we weird when I take my bike to Redbox less than a mile away to get a date night movie, but now she is used to it. Except when it is cold, then I am too hardcore for her.
Old 02-04-13, 10:46 AM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
I ride 12 miles every week to Costco for shopping. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but given the congestion and lack of parking I get there and back faster anyway, with a nice 24 mile ride in the middle. If thats 'weird' then so be it.
I would never be able to get my Costco shopping on the bike!
Old 02-04-13, 10:57 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=One of my favorite t-shirts that I wear quite often says "You laugh because I am different, and I laugh that you are all the same". The first one I had was a gift from my wife on our second date, and I have had 2 or 3 ever since.[/QUOTE]

After the divorcing the first one, I have a hard time picturing two or three at once.
Old 02-04-13, 01:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
My GF would think I was weird if I drove for an errand like that. I would think the same of her. Between us, we have 5 bikes on the first floor of the house. She rode to work today. I walked nearly 2 miles to work.