Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a calorie-counting app on your iPhone?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 09:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I travel for business and eat-out often. I need to start counting calories again. Any positive recommendations or apps that don't work well?

The iTunes Calorie Counter and Diet tracker by MyFitnessPal seems to be popular. Anyone using this?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calo...341232718?mt=8
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-16-13, 09:13 AM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like Lose It. Great date base, barcode scaner and vary user friendly.
Old 02-16-13, 09:16 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually pretty happy with weight watchers mobile app...little cumbersome to use every now and again, but it helps me keep on track and see the effects of my meals. I have been steadily losing weight since I started on it...now down almost 15 lbs since christmas.
Old 02-16-13, 10:06 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My Fitness Pal works wonders...I've tried a few others but keep going back to it. There's a barcode scanner and huge selection when searching. If you cook, you can enter your recipe, how many people it serves, etc and it'll spit out the calories per serving. Also, if you can get some friends involved, its a lot of fun being competitive with them on who can lose the most, exercise the most, etc.

My downfall is using it for a month and then forgetting about it or getting off track. This time around though, a bunch of friends all decided to do it too so it's keeping me active. I've lost 15 pounds in the first 40 days just by changing my eating habits. Just got my bike two days ago, so I have a feeling the pounds will start shedding even faster now.
Old 02-16-13, 10:33 AM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using Tap&Track for a few years. works great.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 02-16-13, 11:15 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have been using an app called Calories 3 on my Macbook. I know there is a sister app for the iphone, all sync together. So far I really like the Calories 3, pretty good data base of items, multi-language capabilities and so forth.

By the way, the old fart in me hates the word app, it should be either application or program. But I know language evolves constantly, but I still hate marketing-speak were most of the language changing seems to come from these days. Sorry for the rant, its Saturday AM, I am eating my oatmeal, grapefruit and small muffin, (369 calories thanks to Calories 3), and I really want to pig out and gorge down about 2000 cal of ft laden carb laden crap comfort food, and that makes me cranky.

Thankfully the Clydesdale and Athena forum is here to help keep me on the path - 10 pounds down in the last 4 weeks, 60 to go!
Old 02-16-13, 11:34 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shellyrides
I really like Lose It. Great date base, barcode scaner and vary user friendly.
I'll second this recommendation. It's super-easy to use! Works better for me that any of the other apps I've tried. It seems to have reasonably good data for nation-wide fast food restaurants as well as some smaller chains.
Old 02-18-13, 11:50 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Thank you for the info, everyone.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.