Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using a lightweight generator to charge Bosch e-bike batteries

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 05:18 AM
TheCycleTourist

Bikes: Haibike sDuroTrekking RX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am setting out on a long distance e-bike adventure in an attempt to set a new world e-bike record of more than 16,500kms at the end of April in the UK, Europe and Scandinavia.
Given that I am keen to avoid the need to plug into mains electricity every day to charge my Haibike's BOSCH Powerpack 400wh battery I have looked extensively into solar, but have decided it is impractical for a number of reasons (lack of sunlight in the UK, cost, finding someone with the knowledge etc).
As such I am now considering the merits of carrying a lightweight portable generator. Does anyone have any experience with charging e-bike batteries with a generator and if so are there any potential problems/issues that I should be aware of?
Old 01-21-15, 11:19 AM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Just to be clear, are you thinking about using a gasoline or fuel based portable generator to charge your bike battery? And it would be something you would have to bring along with you for the entire distance?
Old 01-21-15, 11:50 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I think I would just rather ride without E-Assist, like 50 miles instead of 60 miles, or whatever mileage turns out to be doable...
Old 01-21-15, 06:35 PM
TheCycleTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badrad
Just to be clear, are you thinking about using a gasoline or fuel based portable generator to charge your bike battery? And it would be something you would have to bring along with you for the entire distance?
Yes, solar has proven to be too difficult for a range of reasons and there are times when I know we won't be anywhere near mains electricity so definitely need a backup. Am currently looking at small petrol generators in the 10 to 13kg range. Not a problem to carry on the bike - actually lighter than a solar setup
Old 01-21-15, 07:17 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
If you are not bothered about that extra weight, the portable gas generator could help out the periods where you won't have power available. Most small units should have ample power for your charger unit, and extra for whatever other electrical requirements you have along for your excursion. The generator would fit nicely in a trailer set up, and you can carry your camping/travel gear as well.

Just be sure to maintain the oil changes along the trip and your portable generator should serve you well. As well, be careful with your fuel, as most manufacturers recommend using non-ethanol based gasoline for the small engines. I've seen the type of damage running ethanol in lawn mowers and small gas engines.
Old 01-22-15, 08:43 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by TheCycleTourist
Yes, solar has proven to be too difficult for a range of reasons and there are times when I know we won't be anywhere near mains electricity so definitely need a backup. Am currently looking at small petrol generators in the 10 to 13kg range. Not a problem to carry on the bike - actually lighter than a solar setup
Well, I don't know about that, cheaper for sure and maybe even more reliable where the sun doesn't shine 4+Hrs a day consistently but... It does have other drawbacks...
Old 01-22-15, 09:49 PM
TheCycleTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Well, I don't know about that, cheaper for sure and maybe even more reliable where the sun doesn't shine 4+Hrs a day consistently but... It does have other drawbacks...
Such As??
Old 01-23-15, 10:53 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by TheCycleTourist
Such As??
The lightest generator I found was around 20Lbs, + gas, + oil, noisy, smelly, heavy, hot. Most places around here (campsites) only allow operation of generators at certain times during the day, like 8-10AM & 6-8PM... The solar panels that I found were 7Lbs 120W, 14Lbs 240W, 17Lbs 300W. If you are charging 1 battery a day the 120W would work but for 2 battery's the 240W would be nessesary... The cost/affordability that certainly is a problem with solar...
Old 02-22-15, 03:14 PM
shoalster321

Bikes: Optima Baron Lowracer, Gobike folder with Vespa type front fork, Porta Bike Easy Rider folding semi-recumbent, Sunray SX semi-recumbent, Sinclair A-Bike, Brompton "P" type 6 speed folding bicycle. RecumbentUSA.com mid racer fully suspended.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive seen really small, really lightweight generators in the past. Im thinking less than 20 pounds.
I just bought a used Trek electric assist cargo bike and a few days ago i was thinking about making a long trip and using an ultra small generator to charge my batteries when im not near a campground. Same idea as you. Im going online now to search for a generator.
Old 02-22-15, 03:21 PM
shoalster321

Bikes: Optima Baron Lowracer, Gobike folder with Vespa type front fork, Porta Bike Easy Rider folding semi-recumbent, Sunray SX semi-recumbent, Sinclair A-Bike, Brompton "P" type 6 speed folding bicycle. RecumbentUSA.com mid racer fully suspended.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive seen really small, really lightweight generators in the past. Im thinking less than 20 pounds.
I just bought a used Trek electric assist cargo bike and a few days ago i was thinking about making a long trip and using an ultra small generator to charge my batteries when im not near a campground. Same idea as you. Im going online now to search for a generator.

I just saw one that isnt made anymore called a "Power Pony" 13 pounds, 300W output. It looks like it uses a weedeater motor (2 stroke). Really small but it was powerful enough to charge E bike batteries. Probably not reliable though.

Last edited by shoalster321; 02-22-15 at 03:44 PM. Reason: addition