Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Will I notice a lighter bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 12:57 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Does bike weight matter, or does the rider/bike combination weight matter?

I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker. It weighs about 30 pounds before I add water bottles, extra layers, food, a lock, tools, etc. I like it (more than 2600 miles since June) but it's not perfect.

I recently rode a much lighter, much more expensive, carbon bike optimized for sport riding, and I loved it (Madone 6.2 WSD with a compact, if it matters). It felt like part of my body, not something separate. I'm wondering how much was better fit, how much was different geometry, how much was better components, and how much was that the Madone was at least 15, maybe 20 pounds lighter than my LHT? I rode all day, and nothing hurt the next day (except saddle-contact points). Maybe I'm wondering whether I deserve an expensive bike even though I'm fat.

I'm also wondering how gearing and weight interact. I rode the Madone on an all-day ride, but it was east-coast flat and I live in a hilly area. My lowest gear on the LHT is 18.4 inches, and on yesterday's ride (3300 feet of altitude gain) I was in the lowest gear for a lot of the day. The lowest gear I can get on the Madone is 28.8 inches. I'm prepared to stop and catch my breath going up a big hill -- but not every hundred feet. If I need my low gear on the LHT, will I be able to climb on the Madone?

I'm almost ready to go buy a new bike, but before I do, any insight would be helpful. If it matters, I'm close to 200 pounds and in my early 50s. Thank you!

Last edited by teacherlady; 01-01-12 at 12:58 PM. Reason: left out key fact
Old 01-01-12, 01:05 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just my opinion... if you are a bigger person, does weight really matter on the bike? Plus a heavier bike makes you stronger in the long rin. After riding my mtn bike commuter to work, I notice I am stronger on my road bike,
Old 01-01-12, 01:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
There's no way I could be happy with a 30 pound bike on any ride over 5 miles long, especially if hills were involved. Madone is what, 17-18 lbs stock? I've never had anything that light, I'm happy with a bare bike under 25 lbs so don't need to spend all that much to be happy. Every pound over 24 increases displeasure on longer hillier rides. As long as you don't go into debt for a lighter bike I say go for it and enjoy.

Hard for me to guess how much fit and whatnot goes into how much you enjoyed the Madone.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-01-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 01:16 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you going to keep the LHT? N+1 Honestly though, different tools for different jobs. Loaded touring, LHT. Spirited group rides, Madone. Commuting, LHT...
Old 01-01-12, 01:28 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
If you are concerned about gearing, there is a Trek Madone 3.1 Apex WSD that should offer the same fit but with an 11-32 cassette. I am not a gear inch guy but that will put you closer to your LHT gearing, but not to it. The bike is also 1/2 the price so you only have to deserve it half as much.

Ultimately, you are as fast as you feel, and if you feel faster on a lighter, sportier bike, than you are. And the whole "a heavier bike is a better work out" argument is circular.. if you go faster on a lighter bike, your air resistance load is higher, so you get just as good a workout.

NOTE: I clearly do not know if workout is one or two words, so I used it both ways, guaranteeing that I am half wrong.
Old 01-01-12, 01:35 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
As bassjones, two totally different bikes for different purposes. The LHT is far more capable at carrying things in/on panniers (the Madone doesn't have rack mounts) wouldn't want to put more than a very light weight saddle bag on the carbon seatpost either, also it will take large volume tires than the Madone.

You need to decide what sort of riding you are doing / enjoy more,

For the gearing, the stock Madone 6.2 wsd has a 50/34 crank and a 11-28 cassette, you can't go any lower with the gearing without changing parts, and then you are limited to a 11-32 cassette, with a GS RD (hard to tell from the Trek site if it's a SS or GS factory fitted), going lower would mean swapping out the crank, shifters, mechs etc.
Old 01-01-12, 01:42 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
18 gear inches sounds like you're running something like a 24t chainring with 34 or 36t cog. A lighter bike definitely has benefits, but you may want to look for something with a triple chainring; the LBS should be willing to tweak the small chainring and cassette to put you in the ballpark of your LHT. As for the weight issue, the 10+ lbs. you'll save doesn't seem like much in terms of percentage (considering body weight), but I've noticed the 4 lb. or so change going from a Giant OCR1 to a CF bike: mostly evident when climbing out of the saddle where It's less effort to rock the bike.

In my situation I've matched the low gear on my previous triple with an 11-32 cassette and a compact crank. Not the lowest gearing, maybe 25 gear inches, but I can still stay in the saddle up to 11-12% grade depending on duration.
Old 01-01-12, 01:51 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by teacherlady
Does bike weight matter, or does the rider/bike combination weight matter?

I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker. It weighs about 30 pounds before I add water bottles, extra layers, food, a lock, tools, etc. I like it (more than 2600 miles since June) but it's not perfect.

I recently rode a much lighter, much more expensive, carbon bike optimized for sport riding, and I loved it (Madone 6.2 WSD with a compact, if it matters). It felt like part of my body, not something separate. I'm wondering how much was better fit, how much was different geometry, how much was better components, and how much was that the Madone was at least 15, maybe 20 pounds lighter than my LHT? I rode all day, and nothing hurt the next day (except saddle-contact points). Maybe I'm wondering whether I deserve an expensive bike even though I'm fat.

I'm also wondering how gearing and weight interact. I rode the Madone on an all-day ride, but it was east-coast flat and I live in a hilly area. My lowest gear on the LHT is 18.4 inches, and on yesterday's ride (3300 feet of altitude gain) I was in the lowest gear for a lot of the day. The lowest gear I can get on the Madone is 28.8 inches. I'm prepared to stop and catch my breath going up a big hill -- but not every hundred feet. If I need my low gear on the LHT, will I be able to climb on the Madone?

I'm almost ready to go buy a new bike, but before I do, any insight would be helpful. If it matters, I'm close to 200 pounds and in my early 50s. Thank you!
Ultimately in terms of the weight what matters is the total weight you're hauling. If you're 200 and the bike is 30 then you're hauling 230 pounds. If you cut 90% off the weight of the bike (as a theoretical construct) you end up with a bike that weighs 3 but a rider/bike combo that weighs 203, so you've lost just under 15% of the total.

I'm not familiar with the two bikes you've mentioned but it's entirely possible that the difference between a mountain bike with fat tyres, and a road bike with thin tyres, will make a difference you'll appreciate. I ride with a friend every once in a while - his bike is a Ridgeback commuter thing with drop handlebars, fairly basic components, pannier rack etc. When I'm on my Rockhopper I have to work to keep up with him, when I'm on my Tricross he has to work to keep up with me. Ironically on the tricross he finds keeping up with me on uphill sections more effort, to the point I was dropping him on one ride (I wasn't really paying attention to where he was, on the basis every single other time I rode with him I'd had to struggle to keep up so I'd assumed he could keep up with me easily)

Don't let the idea that "I'm fat" come between you and a nice bike. If you enjoy cycling and you can afford it, get yourself something nice. If you don't enjoy cycling or you can't afford it, stick with what suits your budget and enthusiasm. When I bought my rockhopper I was over 280 and probably the slowest thing on two wheels for miles around but still enjoyed riding.

Last edited by contango; 01-01-12 at 05:35 PM. Reason: homonym oops
Old 01-01-12, 01:55 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut my bike weight in half this year and immediately noticed a difference in both the handling and the speed. Some people believe weight of rig makes no difference if you're already X pounds overweight, but I don't buy it. I may be 100 pounds overweight, and while shaving ounces off with my water bottle choice won't be noticable, I can sure as hell tell a difference of 15 pounds or more.
Old 01-01-12, 02:38 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
+1 to Sayre.

Yes, as OP already stated, you already noticed a difference. The handling is better. You won't have quite the same level of fatigue. Gearing can be fixed as well.

But, in the long run, as contango said, if you're 200lbs., going to a 15lb. bike is not going to get you to win Le Tour. (It's not about the bike, after all.)

But you will notice it. And you will climb just a tiny bit faster. The only relevant question is the one only you can answer:

Is going that little bit faster, is the improved handling, is the longer faster rides with less fatigue worth the cost of the lighter bike.
It's your money. Your decision.
Old 01-01-12, 03:48 PM
shawmutt

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's cheaper to lose 15 lbs than to go from a 30 lb bike to a 15 lb one. It almost sounds like the issue is fit, not weight.
Old 01-01-12, 04:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
Yes, but 15 lb bikes are more fun to ride than 30 lb bikes whether you're 210 or 225.

There could very well be a fit issue going on with the LHT.
Old 01-01-12, 04:31 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always have the rear cassette changed to a lower gearing combination, although, you may have to swap out the derailleur cage to a longer version.
The LBS would be able to do that for you or as others have suggested you could also change out the compact double for a triple crankset. So there are options available to you.

You have already noticed the difference between the two bikes and for the most part answered your own question. A nice compact, light, well handling bicycle that is properly fit to the individual is always nice to ride, IMHO.

It doesn't mean that one is bad and the other is good, both are designed for different types of riding and as such one will have strong points over the other, given certain conditions and uses.
Old 01-01-12, 04:40 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From your comments it sounds like you and the Madone are a good fit and you do indeed like the lighter weight of the Madone.

As for the gearing you may want to look at the Madone 5.2 WSD as it gives you a choice between the compact double crank or a triple crank having three front chainrings for a wider gearing range to tackle the hills. The 5 series Madone will feel almost exactly like the 6.2 Madone you rode and it's a good bit less expensive.

Having said that, try as many bikes as you can and pick the one best for YOU.
Old 01-01-12, 05:14 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Madone 4.5 WSD is available in a triple. I don't know if going from a 34 to a 30 will be enough. Trying one out would tell you everything you need to know.
Old 01-01-12, 05:19 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A lighter bike is definitely better, if like me you carry it up the stairs into the house every day.
Old 01-01-12, 06:39 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Trust me, i'm an expert on telling other people how to spend their money . In all seriousness it sounded like you answered your own question in your OP.

I find a difference between my LHT and my lighter commuterized hardtail. It just like another poster mentioned, each bike has its own positives and negatives depending on the situation.
Old 01-02-12, 11:13 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably will notice.

I ride an LHT (30+ lbs) and absolutely love it. I also ride a sportier Motobecane (18ish lbs) and love that one too.

There is a definite difference in the riding experience between the two; the LHT treats me better over the long haul, but it doesn't get me there with any sort of enthusiasm, whereas the Moto is just very "peppy" feeling and pushing on the pedals instantly becomes acceleration.

I think that it is as much mental than physical, the Moto just drives me to ride in a more motivated fashion because it's funner in that way. The LHT compels me to have a more easy-does-it attitude towards the ride because it is funner in that way. It's sort of like owning a sports car and an SUV.

Last edited by ChrisO; 01-02-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-02-12, 03:12 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Yes, but 15 lb bikes are more fun to ride than 30 lb bikes whether you're 210 or 225.

There could very well be a fit issue going on with the LHT.
Agree. I ride my 17lb road bike much more than my touring/commuting bike. I can ride either bike all day and be comfortable, but the lighter bike is just more fun... especially when climbing!

Originally Posted by jethro56
I don't know if going from a 34 to a 30 will be enough.
I've ridden with both a road triple (53/39/30 crank + 12-27 cassette) and a compact double (50/34 + 11-28). In terms of the lowest available gear, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of practical difference between the two. Anything I could climb on one I could climb on the other.

Last edited by sstorkel; 01-02-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 03:51 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
...compact double (54/30 + 11-28)...
Is that "54" a typo? That's a 24 tooth jump for the front derailleur.
Old 01-02-12, 06:29 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Is that "54" a typo? That's a 24 tooth jump for the front derailleur.
Yep! I meant the typical 50/34 compact not 54/30. Went back and edited for correctness..
Old 01-02-12, 06:43 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am a weak rider and rode my Cannondale Quick with a triple frequently in the easiest gears going up hills. I bought a Madone and was worried about the compact double. The LBS said try it out, you may be fine, and if not we can put "mountain" gearing on the bike. The standard compact double has been fine and I've been able to go up all the hills that I went up with the Quick.

However, I never have ridden in the mountains.
Old 01-02-12, 06:50 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To your OP, I would answer "yes."

My CX bike, loaded up for the ride to work, probably goes 30+ pounds. I love the bike, and actually hope to replace it with a Surly LHT as the commute machine.

I rode the CX bike all summer, and it likely weighs 24 or so before water bottles - Fuji saved no Al in that bike frame. Again, I love the bike.

I lost about 25 pounds in the summer, and moved some fat over to the muscle category, basically getting more fit.

In October, I bought a road bike, a BMC SR-02. The bike, with pedals, comes in right about 20#, certainly not a lightweight.

Combining my weight loss, the geometry and fit of the BMC, and the good old placebo effect (due to the cool frame and the paint job!), I am much faster on the BMC, and hill climbing is much easier. Oh, forgot to add that the BMC has a compact double and a 12-28 cassette.

So, combining the fitness improvement and the new bike (wt+geometry/fit), the new bike is very different for me. Each a tool for a different job.

If you want the Madone, and can afford it without debt, go for it. I had an opportunity for one, but I figgered I was too fat to really do it justice (this is ME talking about ME, now), AND if I had bought it, even at the great price, I couldn't afford to buy my wife her road bike. And frankly, if I had to ride a steel bike with a solid frame I would do it in order for her to have a nice bike and to ride with me. But back to YOU - get the bike you want. Most of us aren't racing, and ride simply because we like it. So riding, unless you are totally addicted, is a WANT and not a HAVE TO. So your reasons for buying the bike should be based on the WANT.

You will love the Madone, I'm certain!
Old 01-02-12, 08:35 PM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you afford it? Do you think you ride enough to get use? Do you like it? Do you feel good about yourself on it? BUY IT!!!!
Old 01-02-12, 10:35 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Does bike weight matter,
Yes. Yes it does. It defies all logic and I had to live it to believe it but it's true. +/- 5 pounds isn't that noticeable but drop 10 or more and you will be keenly aware of the difference!

but it was east-coast flat

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.