Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You don't have to be young, or male to be fast

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 01:16 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Elite cyclist Liz Reap Carlson pummeled some 1,200 watts of power into her bike pedals. She had one goal: whip around the track and propel herself and her teammate into the final round of the team sprint event, a two-woman, two-lap track race. At the bell, Carlson went from zero to 31 miles per hour in 19.6 seconds. Teammate Madalyn Godby was in position behind her and bolted around the track. The women's speed not only advanced them to the final round, where they placed fourth overall, but also put them into the record books.

https://espn.go.com/espnw/journeys-vi...s-age-barriers
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-06-12, 02:43 PM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what an inspirational story!! And speed, she can flat fly!!!!

Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-06-12, 04:13 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Hmph, she is but a child.
Old 03-06-12, 04:52 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once put out 1200 watts, for about a second. I'm always amazed at the power track cyclists can produce.
Old 03-06-12, 05:25 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The closest I can get to 1200 watts is turning on a bunch of light bulbs. To hear about older athletes doing things like this is absolutely inspirational to me. Makes me want to stop whining some times and HTFU.

At the MUP that I do my daily rides at, there is a Michigan couple down here for the winter, that have been doing daily rides at about the same time that I am there. Both are in their mid 70's, and both ride Specialized S-Works road bikes. They ride together for a while and then the wife goes off on her own for most of the ride. The last time I saw them there, we were leaving the west parking lot; I left a minute or so before them. I was cruising on a straightaway going around 19-20 mph when she passed me and left me in the dust. I tried, but I never did catch up to her and the next time I saw her, was in the east parking lot where she was waiting for her husband to get back. I'm certainly not the fastest kid on the block and can hold my own when I need to, but I was too embarrassed to talk to her after she left me so far behind. I'm just amazed at some of the consistent speeds some of the "older than me" riders are doing, and I'm 65.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-07-12, 09:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
The closest I can get to 1200 watts is turning on a bunch of light bulbs. To hear about older athletes doing things like this is absolutely inspirational to me. Makes me want to stop whining some times and HTFU.

At the MUP that I do my daily rides at, there is a Michigan couple down here for the winter, that have been doing daily rides at about the same time that I am there. Both are in their mid 70's, and both ride Specialized S-Works road bikes. They ride together for a while and then the wife goes off on her own for most of the ride. The last time I saw them there, we were leaving the west parking lot; I left a minute or so before them. I was cruising on a straightaway going around 19-20 mph when she passed me and left me in the dust. I tried, but I never did catch up to her and the next time I saw her, was in the east parking lot where she was waiting for her husband to get back. I'm certainly not the fastest kid on the block and can hold my own when I need to, but I was too embarrassed to talk to her after she left me so far behind. I'm just amazed at some of the consistent speeds some of the "older than me" riders are doing, and I'm 65.
No WAY! I think that I've ridden with them (actually with the husband). It was on the Pinellas Trail a couple of summers ago when I visited my sister who lives in Tarpon Springs. The husband and I rode and talked together for about 1/2 hour. His wife blasted off ahead. He explained that she's a triathelete and rides hard. Nice fellow. I was riding my b-i-l's Trek 720 Multi-track hybrid. It rode fine, but was no rocket.

Phil G.
Old 03-07-12, 10:49 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Note to ESPN: It's Criterium, not Criterion.

It's great to see people ignoring age and competing with those much younger. We have several people right here in BF 50+ that race in national championship events in the Elite category as opposed to the masters class. We also have a record holder in a masters track discipline. Really fast people. Interesting anecdote that, in the road race stage of the Tucson Bicycle Classic I competed in last weekend, the 45+ category did the 60 mile race 8+ minutes faster than the 35+. In my 55+ category, 2 guys in a breakaway crashed, then helped each other finish the race. Turns out one had a broken collar-bone, and the other a broken wrist and likely cracked ribs, not to mention a lot of road rash. Really tough people in our age group, too.

One doesn't have to look far for inspiration.
Old 03-07-12, 10:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Note to ESPN: It's Criterium, not Criterion.

It's great to see people ignoring age and competing with those much younger. We have several people right here in BF 50+ that race in national championship events in the Elite category as opposed to the masters class. We also have a record holder in a masters track discipline. Really fast people. Interesting anecdote that, in the road race stage of the Tucson Bicycle Classic I competed in last weekend, the 45+ category did the 60 mile race 8+ minutes faster than the 35+. In my 55+ category, 2 guys in a breakaway crashed, then helped each other finish the race. Turns out one had a broken collar-bone, and the other a broken wrist and likely cracked ribs, not to mention a lot of road rash. Really tough people in our age group, too.

One doesn't have to look far for inspiration.
When I was considering master's racing here I started looking at race stats and could not believe how fast these guys were rolling and in most cases, were often the fastest groups in any mixed event.

You can cycle competitively and at a very high level well into your 60's and 70's and beyond.
Old 03-07-12, 03:12 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
No WAY! I think that I've ridden with them (actually with the husband). It was on the Pinellas Trail a couple of summers ago when I visited my sister who lives in Tarpon Springs. The husband and I rode and talked together for about 1/2 hour. His wife blasted off ahead. He explained that she's a triathelete and rides hard. Nice fellow. I was riding my b-i-l's Trek 720 Multi-track hybrid. It rode fine, but was no rocket.

Phil G.
I haven't seen them at the MUP in the last week or so and don't know if they went back north or not. If you looked at her, you would never guess that she could get a bike to go that fast. When you first see her, you would expect her to get on a tricycle rather than a road bike. She's a bit taller than he is and he is a bit thinner than she is. Both of their bikes are red and white and they haul them on a rack on the back of an Cadillac Escalade. If they haven't gone north, I will stop and talk to them the next time I see them there.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-07-12, 03:44 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been noticing for some time that there are some bad a$$ Grand Ma's out there.
Old 03-07-12, 04:02 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for that report link! It makes me feel slow, but still, it's inspirational! Thanks Barrettscv.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-07-12, 07:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannie_Longo

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-07-12 at 07:41 PM.