Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How should a winter jersey fit

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-01-17, 04:07 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

guys - just bought the Castelli alpha ros - had to try first a small and then medium. Medium is better but the front comes up exactly to the belt line, no lower while the back goes 1 inch under where the rear pockets of a pant would usually start. Is this the way it should fit or should the front be far lower too? I can't take it for a ride yet to have the option to return it

Thx
Old 12-01-17, 04:23 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hello there!

I recently bought the same jacket (in ugly pumpkin orange!), which I love already by the way. Mine is a large, and it's generally pretty fit but of course not as much as a typical cycling jersey.

From your description above, it appears the jacket goes a bit lower in my case than yours. Maybe 1-2 inches below the belt line on the front and probably 4 in the back. I should also specify tat I do *not* wear my belt/pants very low like many like to do nowadays, so I consider my belt line to be around the top of my hips.

Sorry it's hard to tell without an actual picture... But hope it helps nonetheless!

Geoff
Old 12-01-17, 04:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,385 Times in 2,733 Posts
You shouldn't worry about the front, you'll be bent over so less in front is less to bunch up. Bend over and see how it fits in back. You don't want it to ride up above the back of your bibs, obviously. Also, too short can make it more difficult to access stuff in the pockets.
Old 12-01-17, 04:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The main thing about the fit of a cycling jersey is how it fits when you are cycling. For me that means shorter in the front and longer in the back. Also, FWIW, I tend to go a size up on L/S jerseys because I'm usually going to wear a baselayer.
Old 12-01-17, 04:56 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
If the point of a winter jersey is to deal with the cold, then I'd rather have it a little lower both in front and in back, in order to foreclose the possibility of drafts getting up in there. I've got a long-sleeved/long-legged set that is thicker with a sort of flannel-like inner liner that is about 10 degrees warmer than my lighter long-sleeved/long-legged jersey, which is good for cool but not very cold air. The thicker/flannelier set is also a good couple of inches longer on both sides as the thinner set, and that suits me just fine. You want to make sure that if you end up putting on base layers underneath it that they're completely covered as well, or else you get less insulating value from having those layers.

Personally, from your description, for a dedicated winter set I'd go longer. My winter set is a little baggier than my summer weight jerseys as well, and that's a good thing, since it's air pockets that create the warmth, and a little baggy leaves room for additional layers without pulling everything taut and eliminating the air pockets.
Old 12-01-17, 05:36 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
If it comes to your belt-line while standing upright, it should be okay when you're on the bike. Bend over and have a look!
Old 12-02-17, 02:34 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
guys - just bought the Castelli alpha ros - had to try first a small and then medium. Medium is better but the front comes up exactly to the belt line, no lower while the back goes 1 inch under where the rear pockets of a pant would usually start. Is this the way it should fit or should the front be far lower too? I can't take it for a ride yet to have the option to return it

Thx
That sounds about right. Unless you are riding a cruiser in an upright position, there is enough forward bend while riding that the front will be a bit shortened and the back elongated. Put the jersey on and get on your bike while it is stationary. See how the jersey fits in your normal riding position.

I am really impressed with my new Castelli Sfida after only three rides.
Old 12-02-17, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I like my winter jerseys to have long sleeves and be long enough to at least mostly cover my butt. Extra warmth is what it is all about.
Old 12-02-17, 06:55 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am very thin frame. With a medium, it's not fully snug in the arms area but it is snug around the body. The lower flap on the outer layer is also not fully snug. I'm guessing that if I move to large, I'll have a longer length but will lose the snugness in areas I have it right now
Old 12-02-17, 07:21 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You shouldn't worry about the front, you'll be bent over so less in front is less to bunch up. Bend over and see how it fits in back. You don't want it to ride up above the back of your bibs, obviously. Also, too short can make it more difficult to access stuff in the pockets.
This is how I know if a jersey or jacket is really too long or too short. I want whatever is in the pockets to fall more or less into the small of my back, not sagging below it maximizing the glutes, but I don't want to be reaching up between the scapulae to get into the pockets.
Old 12-03-17, 06:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Too long can certainly be annoying as well. I have one otherwise very nice jersey that is so long I sometimes sit on the tail of it, requiring adjustment. I wish I could shrink it a few inches....
Old 12-03-17, 01:31 PM
bottles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comfortably and warmly. That's it. Why overthink a jersey?
Old 12-03-17, 05:52 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I treat bike clothes just like regular clothes. I wear a large normal jacket so I just pick out a large cycling jacket. Same with bibs and jerseys. No reason to make life difficult
Old 12-03-17, 06:24 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
I treat bike clothes just like regular clothes. I wear a large normal jacket so I just pick out a large cycling jacket. Same with bibs and jerseys. No reason to make life difficult
Doesn't always work that way especially with Castelli sizing. I have a 31" waist and wear a size large in Castelli shorts but my Castelli tights in size medium have a little extra room.
Old 12-03-17, 07:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I also own this jersey.

Sounds like the OP is thin compared to me. I had to size up because of chest and waist and that means mine is probably longer. Mine sits 1 to 1.5 inches below the belt buckle in front and and the rear covers about 1/2 of the back pocket of my jeans.

Those who don't know what the Alpah ROS jersey should not be giving advice on how it should fit. It is a very specialized garment, highly articulated and nothing like an ordinary thermal jersey.

It is supposed to be long in the rear and short in the front. If the end of the sleeves sit nicely on the wrists - not too short or any bunching from being too long - then the fit is probably right.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-03-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 08:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Those who don't know what the Alpah ROS jersey should not be giving advice on how it should fit. It is a very specialized garment, highly articulated and nothing like an ordinary thermal jersey.
And there you have it, end of thread. Y'all should pay attention when Tim posts about apparel. These fellows are known for their sense of fashion and Tim is an enthusiastic shopper. Follow his lead and other like minded guys will pick you out from the crowd, give you a thumb up!
Old 12-03-17, 09:53 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Doesn't always work that way especially with Castelli sizing. I have a 31" waist and wear a size large in Castelli shorts but my Castelli tights in size medium have a little extra room.
Interesting, I was referring specifically to my Castelli tights and Gabba 2. I'm an odd shape duck though.
Old 12-04-17, 10:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And there you have it, end of thread. Y'all should pay attention when Tim posts about apparel. These fellows are known for their sense of fashion and Tim is an enthusiastic shopper. Follow his lead and other like minded guys will pick you out from the crowd, give you a thumb up!

Well, the guy at the back of the peloton has to look good.

-Tim-
Old 12-04-17, 03:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yep, if I didn't have 20 extra pounds of gut, I'd try to dress better. As it is, I look like a sausage in anything with a proper cycling fit. Think "Lampre Man" with a white beard.
Old 12-04-17, 04:52 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I think fit preference is an important distinction to make here. Castelli sells primarily race fit (meaning skin tight) stuff designed to be worn in an aggressive position: a "short" front to minimize bunching, a "long" back to cover while bent over, shoulders cut to be comfortable with your arms out in front of you and "long" arms to cover your wrists while reaching out in front of you. If that's not what you're looking for, Castelli might not be for you. I see lots of people complaing that Castelli is "too small", perhaps some of that is due to people not wanting race fit stuff.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-04-17 at 05:15 PM.