Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Brand New 1991 Waterford Paramount

Old 10-31-18, 12:20 PM
IndianaMitch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Brand New 1991 Waterford Paramount

UPDATE: SELLER HAS DECIDED NOT TO SELL. HE DOESN'T NEED THE MONEY AND SAYS HE'LL REEVALUATE IN 5 OR 10 YEARS.

Hello,

This is my first post. A friend asked me to help him sell his 1991 Schwinn Paramount from Waterford. It's white, has Dura-ace components, Time pedals and was ridden ONE time for about 5 minutes. He then carried it into the house and put it on a little bike rack where it's been since 1991. I took some photos but I guess I'm not allowed to post any, as a newbie.

54 cm frame with a computer, San Marco saddle and two Paramount water bottles from that time period. It looks like it just came off the floor of a Schwinn dealer.

Any idea what I should try to get for him?

Thanks,
mitch

Last edited by IndianaMitch; 11-12-18 at 09:46 AM. Reason: I can now add photos of the bike.
Old 10-31-18, 04:22 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Not my size but would love to see pics of this time capsule.
Old 10-31-18, 04:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Ive seen really nice Dura Ace Paramounts from this era go for as little as 6-700$ . If I had the luxury of a little time, i'd price it at $1200
Old 10-31-18, 04:49 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Pics when you can please! Go welcome other newbies in the intro section and get your posts up to 10.
Old 10-31-18, 07:15 PM
oldrolex

Bikes: Waterford RS 22, Waterford 1100, Salsa Marakesh, Soma Stanyon, Surly Ice Cream Truck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My size, can I see it? You should try to get $500
Old 10-31-18, 07:34 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
OK, let's calm down here.
First off, a 1991 Waterford Paramount is somewhat later than the 'classic' Waterford Paramount period. All sorts of oddball 'Paramount' bikes were sold during this period, which kind of muddies the waters. So, there's that.
Second, condition and actual components (is it all DA? which group?) will drive actual final value.
Third, size and good pictures. Too small or too large will drive down price. Is it 54 CTC or CTT?
Old 10-31-18, 09:57 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
A few years ago the local dump had a paramount on top of the metal pile. I guess it got crushed. The front wheel was tacoed. My local dump won't let you take anything. Maryland is very friendly to law suits. Anyway I looked the bike up, and although it had value, it was worth maybe $175. Blue with yellow lettering. Trying to remember. I think it was an early 90's bike.
Old 11-01-18, 05:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
...and was ridden ONE time for about 5 minutes. He then carried it into the house and put it on a little bike rack where it's been since 1991.
...ineffably sad.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-01-18, 06:09 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Yeah! Why do that? What’s the sense!
Old 11-05-18, 08:30 AM
IndianaMitch

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...ineffably sad.
He feels the same way. I was riding my PX10 about 300 miles a week at that time, and he convinced himself that he was going to join me. But we lived about 15 miles away from each other and he just never got serious about it.

I was training to ride the state of Indiana, corner to corner, and so I was putting in a fair amount of miles to get ready for that. I wound up getting into the best shape of my life. Rode from Whiting, Indiana to Indianapolis... which is 183 miles by bicycle, on day one. Got up the next morning and road from Indy to Lawrenceburg, which is near Cincinnati and 120 miles by bicycle. That was definitely a time in my life when bicycling a hundred miles was no big deal.
Old 11-05-18, 08:33 AM
IndianaMitch

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Not my size but would love to see pics of this time capsule.
The Forum still won't let me post photographs. So I'm trying to comment as much as possible so that eventually I will no longer be a newbie and posting photos will be allowed.
Old 11-05-18, 09:26 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaMitch
The Forum still won't let me post photographs. So I'm trying to comment as much as possible so that eventually I will no longer be a newbie and posting photos will be allowed.
This looks like your 10th post. Try now.
Old 11-05-18, 10:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
He feels the same way. I was riding my PX10 about 300 miles a week at that time, and he convinced himself that he was going to join me. But we lived about 15 miles away from each other and he just never got serious about it.

I was training to ride the state of Indiana, corner to corner, and so I was putting in a fair amount of miles to get ready for that. I wound up getting into the best shape of my life. Rode from Whiting, Indiana to Indianapolis... which is 183 miles by bicycle, on day one. Got up the next morning and road from Indy to Lawrenceburg, which is near Cincinnati and 120 miles by bicycle. That was definitely a time in my life when bicycling a hundred miles was no big deal.
...thank you. This makes up for it.
Old 11-05-18, 11:27 AM
StarBiker

Guy road 183 miles in a day.
Old 11-06-18, 05:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Guy road 183 miles in a day.
You doubt that?
Old 11-06-18, 06:26 AM
IndianaMitch

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
You doubt that?
I realize that's not very far for some cyclists... but for me, it was a long way. In fact, I told my wife, "If I didn't have supporters waiting for me at the capital building in Indianapolis... I'm only 17 miles from a Double Century... and I doubt I'll ever be this close to a Double again."

I was right. The ride was a fundraiser, where the organization collected donations for each mile I rode, and the leaders of the group were waiting in downtown Indy.

That was 1983 - a VERY long time ago! LOL

Now that I'm 60, that guy with the PX-10 looks like somebody I don't even remember.

And yes, I know. That bike doesn't fit me. When you're 5'2" and can't afford a custom frame, you're unlike to find anything that really fits. I wish I still had that bike, just for nostalgia, if nothing else.

Last edited by IndianaMitch; 11-06-18 at 07:01 AM.
Likes For IndianaMitch:
Old 11-06-18, 06:50 AM
IndianaMitch

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I just posted some photos. I see that the high resolution photos show a little dirt, here and there. Right before taking the photos, I gave the bike a very quick and light "dusting" with a clean rag. The bike will look brand new when wiped lightly with a damp cloth. It's basically been collecting dust in my friend's den, since 1991.
Old 11-06-18, 08:09 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by cb400bill
You doubt that?
To a certain extent yes. He is in Indiana which is quite flat, but 183 miles in a day? C'mon. When was the last time you did 190 miles in a day?

For me the problem is it what be pretty impossible to do here with all the hills, and traffic everywhere.

I have done 60 on the NCR/HRT many times (Not recently), so I guess completely flat, 20 miles an hour it is doable under 12 hours if you shave some of that speed off. Still......
Old 11-06-18, 08:29 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Nice photos. I would guess somewhere between $700 to $900. There is a facebook Paramount group, and if you post the photos there, you will get a better estimate and maybe some offers.

And congrats one the 183 mile ride. There are people who have ridden much farther in a day, but 183 miles is very impressive. I would ignore people who don't think a 183 mile ride is possible just because they have never done it.

Last edited by GailT; 11-06-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 08:58 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by GailT
Nice photos. I would guess somewhere between $700 to $900. There is a facebook Paramount group, and if you post the photos there, you will get a better estimate and maybe some offers.

And congrats one the 183 mile ride. There are people who have ridden much farther in a day, but 183 miles is very impressive. I would ignore people who don't think a 183 mile ride is possible just because they have never done it.
Like yourself.
Old 11-06-18, 12:00 PM
IndianaMitch

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
StarBiker seems a little insecure, and he certainly knows nothing about southern Indiana. A few of those hills are climbs that last well over a mile. The grade is not that bad... but they feel like you're never going to reach the top.

But like I said... 183 miles, followed by 120 the next day, is nothing extraordinary. I started in Whiting, as the sun came up, and finished in Indianapolis in the dark... while my brother followed me into the city on back roads with the headlights on. I don't recommend it. It took me 15 hours, so I wasn't exactly flying. It was in October... and I was hoping for a northern tailwind. I wasn't so lucky. It began to drizzle as we pulled the bikes off the top of the car in Whiting... and I had cross and headwinds much of the time. It was actually pretty miserable.

Back then, I had been riding 10 to 30 miles every day before work... and riding between 90 and 140 miles every Thursday (my day off)... for months before the ride. It was more about my pride than conditioning though. Once I committed to the doing the ride, and the organization began collecting donations and pledges, I had no choice but to do it.

I did the ride a second time, two years later in 1985 for the same organization... but this time went South to North, from Evansville to Merrillville, and did it in 3 days,
because they said they were able to get more donations and pledges if I stopped in more little towns along the way and got interviewed at more stopping points.

I'm sure it won't convince the doubters (seems odd to bother, actually) but I'll include a couple of photos I found in my phone. I have an album at home, but I don't think it's worth the bother. I know what I was able to do on a bike, when I was quite young.

October 1983 in Lawrenceburg, at the community center where I was given a plaque by Indiana Right-to-Life.

The day after, getting ready to ride home. My support crew is in the photo, along with a cousin and friends who drove up from Tennessee to encourage me. I'm all the way on the right, in a pair of jeans that I could never, ever, ever fit into again. LOL

Somewhere along the ride in 1985. Not sure which city, but I had to do interviews here and there to explain the cause. I was riding for Indiana Right-to-Life because I was born with a genetic condition that is sometimes dealt with by abortion.

Riding north out of Evansville. Can't really tell in the photo... but that's a steady climb of about two miles. I'm the short guy on the left, on the ill-fitting PX-10.

Last edited by IndianaMitch; 11-06-18 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For IndianaMitch:
Old 11-06-18, 12:01 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT

Depending on the market I would think he could get more for it than that; $900 to $1100 maybe? I'd take the computer off and clean it up, it really is a time capsule.

And I agree with his 183 mile ride. I've never done anywhere near that (and never will) but that is a great accomplishment.
Old 11-06-18, 12:06 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I'm sure it won't convince the doubters (seems odd to bother, actually) but I'll include a couple of photos I found in my phone. I have an album at home, but I don't think it's worth the bother. I know what I was able to do on a bike, when I was quite young.
And you don't need to convince anyone. You know what you did and I (or others) certainly have no right to say otherwise.
Old 11-06-18, 01:00 PM
StarBiker

I don't know about insecure, I just doubt it. Yeah I think of hills an mountains when I think of Indiana.

The average altitude of Indiana is about 760 feet (230 m) above sea level. The highest point in the state is Hoosier Hill in Wayne County at 1,257 feet (383 m) above sea level. The lowest point at 320 feet (98 m) above sea level is located in Posey County, where the Wabash River meets the Ohio River. Only 2,850 square miles (7,400 km) have an altitude greater than 1,000 feet (300 m) and this area is enclosed within 14 counties. About 4,700 square miles (12,000 km) have an elevation of less than 500 feet (150 m), mostly concentrated along the Ohio and lower Wabash Valleys, from Tell City and Terre Haute to Evansville and Mount Vernon.

The state includes two natural regions of the United States: the Central Lowlands and the Interior Low Plateaus. The till plains make up the northern and central regions of Indiana. Much of its appearance is a result of elements left behind by glaciers. Central Indiana is mainly flat with some low rolling hills (except where rivers cut deep valleys through the plain, like at the Wabash River and Sugar Creek) and soil composed of glacial sands, gravel and clay, which results in exceptional farmland. Northern Indiana is similar, except for the presence of higher and hillier terminal moraines and hundreds of kettle lakes.
Old 11-06-18, 04:45 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I don't know about insecure, I just doubt it.
@rhm, @nlerner and @TimmyT do those kind of distances all the time. Last year the 3 of them rode together about 140 (very hilly) miles from RHM's house in NJ to my house in Sullivan County, NY. It's really not that unheard of. The next day I believe they rode about 80 more miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.