Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Oakley flight jacket owners - question for you

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 02:45 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Guys - I'm confused about the different colors. I'm primarily purchasing to get better clarity on NYC streets and avoiding potholes. Do all 3 colors meet my requirements or one color does better than the other? Also, do all these block blue light?

Matt Black/Prizm Road (this is the pink one)
Matt Black/Prizm Road Black (I prefer this one as it has more of a neutral look but unsure if it provides the same clarity as the pink one)
Matte Fog/Prizm Road
Matte Fog/Prizm Road Jade

Thx
Old 06-11-20, 04:25 PM
JPChap
Ridin again

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can't speak specifically to that model of glasses, but the lenses are the same throughout the Oakley models. The difference between the different lenses is the light transmission level. They are all based upon the rose-tint color Oakley use. The Road Black is the darkest lens at 11%, which is comparable to their standard Iridium lenses in darkness. The Road Jade is in the middle at 15%. The standard Road is the lightest at 20%.
What would help make your decision is the weather and locations you ride in. If you're riding in open sunny areas, the Road Blacks would be the most comfortable as they block the most light. If you're riding in NYC in the rain, you'd likely want the standard Road lenses. This is also majorly personal preference. I have light sensitive eyes, so I typically get the darker lenses so avoid having the squints all the time, but if a rain storm is coming in, this can be a disadvantage.
The only other factor is the outside reflection on the lens. The Road Black lenses are well, black. The Jade lenses reflect green/purple, and the standard Road a reddish/orange. So if color is important to you, that may sway your decision making.
Old 06-11-20, 07:44 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I wear Flight Jackets and Jawbreakers with Prizm Road and Prizm Road Black lenses every day. If you need one lense, the standard Prizm Road lenses are an epic all around choice. You wont regret them for an all around choice. I live in FL, so the darker Prizm Road Black comes in Handy. Im yet to try the Jade, but I will soon. Any of the Prizm lenses are going to be incredible. Good Luck.
Old 06-11-20, 10:06 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have several pair of Oakleys but all of them have optics from Revent. The prices are such that you can try a set out and not be hurting too bad if they don't work.

https://www.revantoptics.com
Old 06-12-20, 05:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Huh. I didn't know that there were now additional Prizm Road variations. I got mine when there was only the bog standard version, but I really like them. Yes, they could be a little darker, but I think that they deal well with the many transitions between open/shaded conditions on my rides. That said, I'll check out the new ones, too.
Old 06-12-20, 06:35 AM
nob
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is this the standard road you prefer to?

Also, is there any other brand I should try that has a better bang for the buck like TIfosi or these Oakleys are a class apart?

Old 06-12-20, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
Is this the standard road you prefer [refer] to?
Looks like it.

Originally Posted by nob
Also, is there any other brand I should try that has a better bang for the buck like TIfosi or these Oakleys are a class apart?
YMMV. You'll have to try them yourself and decide on the value proposition.
Old 06-12-20, 08:42 AM
nob
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
btw, with this road lens, does the road appear to be pinkish?
Old 06-12-20, 08:48 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a pair of Oakley Radar EV's with Prizm lenses. My previous sunnies were Oakley Flak Jackets with polarized lenses. To be honest I do not see much difference between the two when it comes to light transmission. I went with the Prizm lenses because I bought in to the hype on the Oakley website.
Old 06-12-20, 08:51 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
btw, with this road lens, does the road appear to be pinkish?
The Road Prizm lens has a slight rose color(to increase contrast). It's noticeable when you first put them on, but after a few minutes of use the color appears more neutral.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-13-20, 09:24 AM
Diopena1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
I wear Flight Jackets and Jawbreakers with Prizm Road and Prizm Road Black lenses every day. If you need one lense, the standard Prizm Road lenses are an epic all around choice. You wont regret them for an all around choice. I live in FL, so the darker Prizm Road Black comes in Handy. Im yet to try the Jade, but I will soon. Any of the Prizm lenses are going to be incredible. Good Luck.
I concur with this statement, as I also have jawbreakers and flight jackets, however, having used the Prizm road lens on my jawbreakers, and getting the photo chromatic lens.... I have found myself using the photo chromatic most of the time, as they adjust according to the ambient lighting. The prizms give you great contrast, and clarity, the photo chromatic in my opinion is a better all rounder.
Old 06-13-20, 10:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I have a pair of Oakley Radar EV's with Prizm lenses. My previous sunnies were Oakley Flak Jackets with polarized lenses. To be honest I do not see much difference between the two when it comes to light transmission. I went with the Prizm lenses because I bought in to the hype on the Oakley website.
Certain computer screens are difficult to see with polarized sunglasses. The Prizm Roads are not very dark. I have some Jades, I think, that are much darker.
Old 06-13-20, 08:58 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
That’s what I wear with the road lenses.
Likes For lykbutta:
Old 07-26-20, 06:32 PM
luvarb

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought mine and the glasses are hanging on the nose and not touching the face. Is that how it should be? I do have the nose clip inserted in and not in the out position but still not the perfect fit. Do I need to buy another kind of nose tip?