Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Keeping kids warm....????

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 07:02 AM
Bomccorkle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With winter soon upon us I was wondering if you all had any tricks for keeping the wee ones warm. I pull a trek 2 kid trailer and really don't care to ride without my kiddos. Im really trying to not loose steam over the winter months but am unsure how warm I can keep the kids in there...... any ideas / experiences???
Old 10-21-11, 09:13 AM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With lots of good insulative layers, you should be fine, particularly in the trailer where the walls will trap body heat. Full body snowsuits are great. REI makes a down one for infants/young toddlers, that if anything is likely to overheat them in a trailer. My kids are more exposed and we've had very good luck with snow suit + balaclava + gaiter (https://flickr.com/gp/fletzet/sWb2C6).

Turtle fur makes kids balaclavas for under-helmet wear: https://www.turtlefur.com/kunder.php
Old 10-21-11, 11:34 AM
Bomccorkle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-11, 01:47 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Do not neglect to insulate the bottom areas where they sit. People tend to neglect that area and they are all nice and warm on top and frost bitten at the bottom.
Old 10-21-11, 03:37 PM
shawmutt

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dress one layer less than the kids. If I start getting cold I know they are too!
Old 10-21-11, 10:32 PM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Babylegs or the like are great, too. They're easy to put on without removing other layers, they fit a range of ages, and you can add them to toes or fingers to add warmth where you need it. The bamboo ones are supposed to stay warm when wet, but I'm not sure how to test that. https://babyclothes.about.com/b/2009/...eg-warmers.htm
Old 10-22-11, 08:43 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I found a warm quilt worked well. Back before cars had heaters, car blankets were standard items. I still have my grandparents one somewhere.

Paul
Old 10-24-11, 04:38 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm an iconoclast. besides all of the excellent remarks above, in sub 40°F weather i also use chemical foot warmers on the seat of my trailer (mind you, not a hard plastic rear seat; but a sturdy, heavy-weight cordura nylon seat). i then add a high-loft blanket on top of the warmers to make burning impossible (and my kid is also wearing a high-loft cold suit). the result to the touch after 30 minutes, 1 hour, and 2 hours, is a pleasantly warm (never hot) seating area; IME it fades after 2.5 hours. my kid has never complained. in fact, if her enthusiasm to go back outside and do it some more is an indicator (and i say it is), then it's a success.

just make sure you've got proper padding above the warmer. i've tried this down to about 15°F. beyond that, i just don't go out with the little ones.
Old 10-25-11, 06:53 AM
Bomccorkle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool beans. Thanks for the help. I was wondering about a way to use got hands, guess that's the trick there.
Old 06-21-20, 05:44 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had the same problem, I insulated the bottom and sides of the trailer and for several years everything is in order, my children are warm. Children are constantly traveling somnoy and for them I have arranged a wonderful play area with the help of kids chairs tables. They really like to draw and sculpt on the table. When I chose new furniture for them and bought other table, they chose furniture together with som, it was very exciting and fun. And most importantly, my children are always there.