Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 06:46 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I considered pouring some coke into my morning coffee so I can taste the future.

Did your future self stop you?
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-26-21, 06:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
When I used to travel for work. The southwest airplane I was on got hit by lightening. ( can't remember what type of aircraft it was) lit up the whole plane, a sizzling boom. The pilot came on the intercom and apologized, I thought that was hilarious at the time.
I have successfully avoided being on boats when they were hit, which can be catastrophic. My boat had a hit or near hit at the dock, which fried some electronics and, unaccountably blew this huge clevis pin most the way out.

Old 01-26-21, 07:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Did your future self stop you?
For now.
Old 01-26-21, 07:17 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have successfully avoided being on boats when they were hit, which can be catastrophic. My boat had a hit or near hit at the dock, which fried some electronics and, unaccountably blew this huge clevis pin most the way out.

Backstay? Lucky!
Old 01-26-21, 07:21 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
My wife is now holding work shops if you need help re wrapping your bars.
I appreciate the offer, however, my mechanic is fully capable of providing this vital service. I will also have the bars inspected at such time to establish inspection rotation and determine their condition. This is just good bicycle maintainance.
Old 01-26-21, 07:34 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I appreciate the offer, however, my mechanic is fully capable of providing this vital service. I will also have the bars inspected at such time to establish inspection rotation and determine their condition. This is just good bicycle maintainance.

Sounds like a smart plan. I would hate for your bars to be white crusted like someone else I know.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-26-21, 08:41 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Old 01-26-21, 08:47 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Oh yeah? The whole cannon, or just the barrel? I think I'm the only one who has thought this through.
I'm certain that many were simply walked away from, out in the field. Who knows, there may still be some out there. They are still finding crashed bombers from WWII.

Old 01-26-21, 08:48 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My wife is now holding work shops if you need help re wrapping your bars.
I've done it from time to time. I'll have a demitasse on my desk with maybe an inch of cool coffee left in it and I'll pour the coke in it. Tastes fine to me.

Old 01-26-21, 08:56 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I think that cannons like most armament was supposed to be returned to the National armory. Later, I'm assuming, when their use is no longer needed, they (civil war cannons) end up in national parks and village squares. Complete original cannons are everywhere in national civil war battlefields.

Doubt that they are legally given over to private ownership. My town where I grew up had several CW mortars in the town square but they were put in storage when the town square was remodeled. Several years later, it dawned on some to ask what happened to them and the city had no idea and as far as I know, hasn't found them, yet. Obviously, they've been plundered by someone.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-26-21, 08:57 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28605 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
“Era.”

You can get old cannons if you want to pay the price. They are pretty easy to find online.

Future SIL’s family roots are in Texas since the Wild West days. When we were at his parents for Christmas Eve, I had a nice discussion with his dad about a collection of 19th century flintlocks hanging on their wall that have been in the family for generations.
"Era" doesn't count. Obviously there are lots of Civil War sidearms still about, but what soldier took a cannon home with them?
Old 01-26-21, 08:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've done it from time to time. I'll have a demitasse on my desk with maybe an inch of cool coffee left in it and I'll pour the coke in it. Tastes fine to me.
Must have Covid. Seems you lost your sense of taste.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-26-21, 09:11 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Backstay? Lucky!
Yes. Fortunately, the shrouds are swept back enough that the backstay doesn’t hold the rig up under normal conditions. It could have done plenty of damage swinging around though.
Old 01-26-21, 09:15 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,764 Posts
Sound you can feel.
Top Fuel Anything.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-26-21, 09:26 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I'm certain that many were simply walked away from, out in the field. Who knows, there may still be some out there. They are still finding crashed bombers from WWII.
In the ocean, mainly. Civil War cannon didn't get buried in battle. Artillery wasn't like WWI or WWII.
Old 01-26-21, 09:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8276 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Top Fuel Anything.
There is a forum type thing on red dit called "Just rolled into the shop" where mechanics post funny stuff from their jobs. BF won't allow me to post the link.

Last edited by big john; 01-26-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-26-21, 09:30 AM
Mojo31
-------

"Era" doesn't count. Obviously there are lots of Civil War sidearms still about, but what soldier took a cannon home with them?

My post: "My future SIL has a collection of antique things like flintlocks and other muzzleloaders. He also has a couple of Civil War era cannons."

I never said it was a "Civil War" cannon or cannon used in the Civil War. I don't know who made it or where it originated. I was just told that "it was made in the mid-1800s" which in my mind is the Civil War era. Perhaps I should have said, "19th Century" cannon. I don't know if any of the thing he has were actually used in the Civil War. FSIL was named after his grandfather, and the grandfather simply left the stuff to him when he died in the '80s.

As far as soldier's taking a cannon home with them, the answer is probably very few. But, a lot of stuff was left on the land when everything was over, especially by the defeated Confederates. There wasn't much environmental concern back then, and a lot of land is very remote so there likely wasn't much concern about kids finding things and hurting themselves. Land owners, especially those with a lot of rough ranch land, frequently just stick stuff they find on their land into a barn or shed somewhere if they think it's cool at the time and forget about it. I've seen that first hand going through a barn and abandoned house on my wife's grandmother's land in east Texas.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-26-21, 09:42 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by genejockey
I can tell you I like mine, but I tend to ride with my thumbs on top when on the tops, or at most with them straight along the bar. I think I started this when I got Ergopower levers and a 'double groove' handlebar, where you run one cable around the back of the bar and one cable along the front. The cable in the back hit my thumbs wrong, so I stopped hooking my thumbs under, and I've been riding that way since 1996.
I'm noticing that hand position is one of those things I just did and didn't put a lot of thought into. As in, off the top of my head, I'm having some difficulty visualizing it. I'm quite sure when efforting a climb I encircle the bar with my thumbs, but on flatter stretches?

I guess there's really no way to know for sure how one might like a different design unless you try it on a ride.

I scrubbed the old bars with some soap. There's still some residue, and the finish is rough, but it appears to be a cosmetic issue only.

I can see why the mechanic might not have wanted to mess with that, but it seems like he might have contacted me before replacing the bars? Nothing was ever communicated about bars until after the fact.
Old 01-26-21, 09:43 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Sound you can feel.
Not the loudest thing I've heard as far as SPL at the eardrum - but certainly the most impressive - was a full power test of one of NASA's new solid rocket boosters at the former ATK Thiokol facility in Utah.

I was probably 3 miles away and you could still feel the pressure waves in your chest and through your feet.

And to think that on the full SLS rocket there are two of those, plus another cluster of four liquid motors

I want to be there when that candle is lit more than just about anything else in the world.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 01-26-21, 09:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
I'm noticing that hand position is one of those things I just did and didn't put a lot of thought into. As in, off the top of my head, I'm having some difficulty visualizing it. I'm quite sure when efforting a climb I encircle the bar with my thumbs, but on flatter stretches?

I guess there's really no way to know for sure how one might like a different design unless you try it on a ride.

I scrubbed the old bars with some soap. There's still some residue, and the finish is rough, but it appears to be a cosmetic issue only.

I can see why the mechanic might not have wanted to mess with that, but it seems like he might have contacted me before replacing the bars? Nothing was ever communicated about bars until after the fact.
Well, one way to look at it is, if he says, "They'll probably be alright." and then they break while you're on the road, he could find himself on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-26-21, 09:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I suspect it's old news, but the Netflix mini-series "The Queen's Gambit" is pretty good. Mrs datlas and I watched it over the past week. I personally watch almost zero TV and am pretty picky about what I see. I would rate it 4.5 stars out of 5. It's got some flaws but overall quite good.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-26-21, 10:11 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Funny how stuff just happens with those pins and other fasteners on boats. Haven't ever had any rig issues, but did find the boom separated from the mast when a clevis pin came out. Fortunately the main stack and cover held it together enough that no damage occurred. Never found the clevis pin though.
The inverse problem: finding hardware and not knowing where it came from is pretty anxiety-inducing too. Early in one multi-day ocean race, we found a big bolt or two on deck. Conditions weren't pleasant and I can't remember if anyone went up for a look at the time, but we didn't figure it out until a couple of days into the return delivery when the radome came loose and started swinging around on its cable.
Old 01-26-21, 10:19 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts

They totally should have called you first.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-26-21, 10:20 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
They totally should have called you first.
Who knows, you might have had them put some carbon bars on there.

#upgradeopportunity
Old 01-26-21, 10:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I suspect it's old news, but the Netflix mini-series "The Queen's Gambit" is pretty good. Mrs datlas and I watched it over the past week. I personally watch almost zero TV and am pretty picky about what I see. I would rate it 4.5 stars out of 5. It's got some flaws but overall quite good.
You were just struck by Beth's Hollywood golden age beauty, weren't ya?

Great show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.