Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Will a 52cm frame be too small?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 01:21 PM
rahum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I stand about 5'-7.5" (but I say 5'8" when I'm dating).

My first road bike was a 54cm Lemond that felt too long. I had to stretch too far to get to the brake hoods. I shortened the stem but it still felt too long, and my neck and back hurt throughout any ride.

I next went to a 53cm frame with a 100mm stem and that also felt too long. I shortened the stem to 90mm with a 6-degree rise and that feels much, much better. I could probably go to a slightly shorter or higher stem and it'll be even better.

Now I'm considering purchasing a bike with a 52cm frame. Is this likely to still be within the right size range for me? If this ends up being too small for me, what kind of problems will I have that I'm going to regret?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-21, 01:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I've not had any trouble fixing things on bikes of any size. Mechanically a 54 cm bike has the same components as most any other size bike. <grin>

Perhaps you'd rather this be in the Fitting Your Bike subforum.
Old 01-28-21, 02:13 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There is a lot more to frame sizing than just the published size, i.e. not all "54cm" frames are the same. Top tube length, bottom bracket drop, seat tube angle, etc. all play a part. So, compare all of the dimensions before deciding.
Old 01-28-21, 02:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Modern bikes go by stack and reach measurement, and not so much frame size. But if you are looking at a classic horizontal top tube bike, 52cm is totally fine. I am 5'8" and I've had bikes from 50cm to 54cm. They all ride fine to me.
Old 01-28-21, 03:16 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
when I buy footwear, I don't trust that the same size label will fit me every time. in US shoes sizes, I might wear a 9.5, 10, or 10.5. that's something like a 42–44 in Euro sizing. I find that the same is true of bicycles, but it's even more vague. a road bike that fits me could be labeled 52–55cm, depending on how they designed the bike.
Stack and reach calculator is a pretty handy tool for quickly comparing two bike geometries.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-28-21, 03:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
A big part is leg vs torso length and arm length. If you have a short torso you will probably be more comfortable on a bike with a shorter top tube. It is not just frame size.

I have shorter legs and a long torso and arms. Used to be close to 5’9” probably getting closer to 5’8” and ride 56cm road bikes and 17.5”/18” mountain bikes. They fit really good.

John
Old 01-28-21, 05:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
52cm sounds right to be in the ball park to make some adjustments from there. That's why we have different length stems and adjustable seat posts.
Old 01-28-21, 05:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts

For me? Yes, definitely.

For you? I've got no idea.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-28-21, 07:32 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
A road 52cm fits me well at 5'7.5"

But looking at gravel bikes a 49-50cm fits the same geo
Old 01-29-21, 01:26 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I would get the 54 and a 70 mm stem or whatever works. The smaller frame servers only to make you reach 2 cm DOWN, or have a gangly high steerer. An angled up stem is far stronger way to get height. Or find bars which fit closer back.
I am 5'8" and have ridden level 58 cm bikes my whole life. Tight fit, but I have swept bars with long grips.
I never had drops or a CF bike tho.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-29-21 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 01:34 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
biggest worry would be exceeding the limit lines on the stem and seat post. they make long neck stems and such, but then you have extra weight. smaller frame = better climbing and sprinting if you are into that.
Old 01-29-21, 02:48 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If you cannot reach the brakes it is too large, while if your feet hit the tires it is too small

Seriously, have you tried visiting bike shops and trying out a range of shapes and sizes? Changing things like handlebar position up/down or forward/backward can also alter how stable the bike feels on the straights or in the corners, so it is worth exploring these before putting any money down.
Old 01-30-21, 08:17 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
You should get a professional bike fit first, considering you'e already had bikes that didn't fit you based off conventional sizing.

It'll be worth it and it will save you a ton of money and grief in the future. It will also sort out other issues like crank length, handlebar width/reach, saddle width, stem length etc. Most people neglect stem length as being simply a fit issue but it affects handling massively especially on a small frame with 700c wheels. Most small bikes look squirrelly while riding.

As a rule of thumb, toe overlap is not something you can run away from as a shorter rider, you will have to get used to it. It's simply an issue because the wheels are not scaled down with frame size. Most medium sized bikes deal with it also.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 01-30-21, 10:46 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
It's nearly impossible for anyone who doesn't have all the information about you and the bikes you're trying to know what will fit you. Bike fit is almost as individual as what shoes will fit. If it hasn't been mentioned before, this website might help you compare frames:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

It doesn't have every frame but you may find one that is close to your lemond frame. I remember breading that Lemond frames tended to be slightly longer for a given size, something about his racing philosophy.
Likes For joeruge:
Old 01-30-21, 10:47 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
It's nearly impossible for anyone who doesn't have all the information about you and the bikes you're trying to know what will fit you. Bike fit is almost as individual as what shoes will fit. If it hasn't been mentioned before, this website might help you compare frames:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

It doesn't have every frame but you may find one that is close to your lemond frame. I remember breading that Lemond frames tended to be slightly longer for a given size, something about his racing philosophy.
Old 01-30-21, 01:42 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Start looking at stack and reach measurements as well.
You are around 170-175 tall. That is typically a 50-52cm frame, depending on how they measure the bike.
A slightly smaller frame is much more workable than one that is too large.

Originally Posted by rahum
Hey folks,

I stand about 5'-7.5" (but I say 5'8" when I'm dating).

My first road bike was a 54cm Lemond that felt too long. I had to stretch too far to get to the brake hoods. I shortened the stem but it still felt too long, and my neck and back hurt throughout any ride.

I next went to a 53cm frame with a 100mm stem and that also felt too long. I shortened the stem to 90mm with a 6-degree rise and that feels much, much better. I could probably go to a slightly shorter or higher stem and it'll be even better.

Now I'm considering purchasing a bike with a 52cm frame. Is this likely to still be within the right size range for me? If this ends up being too small for me, what kind of problems will I have that I'm going to regret?

Thanks!
Likes For cruiserhead:
Old 01-30-21, 03:08 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Fit's complicated.

For a person about whom I knew nothing but their 5'8" height, a 54 cm normal road frame is the medium-sized bike. But not everybody prefers a medium-sized bike. Some people like a bigger frame, some like a smaller one. It seems that you are a smaller-frame kinda person.

The fact that a LeMond didn't work for you is strong evidence that this is the case. They've always fit "big", because of longer top tubes and slacker seat tube angles. What used to be called "stage race" geometry. Greg's riding position and style was butt back, back flat, long power stroke, big gear, crankin'. And his bikes were always designed for that. If that's not how you ride, bikes like that aren't likely to make you happy.

So, for you, maybe a 52 is the right choice, and, I'd bet, short-reach bars set closer to saddle height. If you can't ride comfortably in the drops for a good while, your bars are too low, and maybe too big as well.

Remember, too, that bike fit affects handling. A lot. I can make a 52 cm frame fit my 5'11", 58-cm-bike-preferring self. By tape measure. On a trainer. But that bike is gonna handle like crap, and riding it is gonna suck.

It's all tradeoffs, and nobody else rides your ride, your way, with your body.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 01-31-21, 09:14 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Start out with a measurement of you leg length. From your crotch to the floor in your bare feet. 68% of that number should give you a good start for your frame size measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube along the seat tube.
Likes For davidad:
Old 01-31-21, 03:06 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
No frame is to small is the current motto of weekend warrior crowd. If you need more than 1 cm of spacers and you use a positive angled stem chances are frame is to small.
Old 02-01-21, 07:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Start out with a measurement of you leg length. From your crotch to the floor in your bare feet. 68% of that number should give you a good start for your frame size measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube along the seat tube.
Absolutely NO. That's not how it's done. Top tube length is the question. Seat tube length or its third cousin, standover, are not even part of the question.

Stack and reach are how it's done.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-01-21, 08:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
No way to tell just by posting the height. As others have said, "it depends". All I can say that it is within the ballpark....as is the 54cm. Post a picture of you on the 53cm and 90 deg stem. I am the same height, and for me a 53 (assuming 53 is also the same virtual tube length) with 90 would be too short in the reach department. Do you like a more upright position?
Old 02-01-21, 10:07 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I've read/heard that the top tube on LeMond bikes runs a bit long. I know mine has me reaching, and when I tell others the bike size, they seem surprised that the bike isn't too small for me. So you can't really go by the size of your LeMond when shopping for a new bike. So many variables. If possible, test ride the bike (or one similar in the same brand) to see how it feels to you.
Old 02-01-21, 10:41 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Absolutely NO. That's not how it's done. Top tube length is the question. Seat tube length or its third cousin, standover, are not even part of the question.

Stack and reach are how it's done.
Absolutely? Buy Lemond's book and see how he absolutely sizes a frame. Adjustments need to be made because of the new and improved sloped top tube frames.
Old 02-01-21, 11:03 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Absolutely? Buy Lemond's book and see how he absolutely sizes a frame. Adjustments need to be made because of the new and improved sloped top tube frames.
Lemond bikes were mass-produced and not an expression of his personal style. Taking a look at Geometry Charts and using a 58 for example both a current C-64 Colnago and a Specialized Roubaix have longer top tubes than a Lemond Maillot Jaune. I am sure Lemond like other pros both today and in the past like them long and low but to say that his bike brand was the same is not actually true from what I can see.
Old 02-01-21, 11:12 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Lemond bikes were mass-produced and not an expression of his personal style. Taking a look at Geometry Charts and using a 58 for example both a current C-64 Colnago and a Specialized Roubaix have longer top tubes than a Lemond Maillot Jaune. I am sure Lemond like other pros both today and in the past like them long and low but to say that his bike brand was the same is not actually true from what I can see.
I didn't say anything about his Trek bikes I said the info was in his Book. Absolutely.
Likes For davidad:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.