Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hi what is the name of this tourney derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 03:18 PM
first trip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

hi

i cant find its name ...

anyone knows its model?
ps i think it is not original to the bike,

Last edited by first trip; 04-15-21 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 04:37 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by first trip
hi

i cant find its name ...

anyone knows its model?
ps i think it is not original to the bike,

answer to myself is

Tourney Rd-tx30 but this is old ... what is the best entry level equivalent i can find for MEGARANGE wich from my researchs need to be both longcageSGS and OVERSIZED Pulley like 15 t...

or maybe a site where you can selec DRailleur and compare them side to side with their reviews
so far maybe those could be good?
rd tx tx35
Derailleur TZ300

less plastic is better what do you think tx
Old 04-15-21, 04:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
Well the letters on it say Tourney

Look on the parallelogram link's back side and you'll likely find the model number. RD-XXXX. Tourney has been a name for decades and has seen many changes over the years. Go by model number and no one can claim confusion. Andy
Old 04-15-21, 05:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
This Tourney derailleur is named Jim.
At first it looked like a John, then it looked like a full-on James, but with that big red jockey wheel, James seemed too formal. Jim. Jim is this derailleurs name & that's that.

BTW: The tourney's with the big red wheel are the "special" ones reserved for ultra-cheap big-box store bikes. If you ride this bike very much, you are soon really going to wish you had the better model that would be found at an LBS. There is a reason the big-box tends to advertise "same brands" and not "same products."

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-15-21, 07:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Knowing only what's in the original post:

Stand your bike upright against something and look at your derailleur from the back. If the derailleur arm looks like it's leaning inward and pointing toward the rear wheel, bend it back with your hands so that the derailleur arm is vertical. My bet is that'll fix it.
Old 04-15-21, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
You can find basically any other junk tourney long cage derailleur to replace it if that is what you are looking to do. If you are looking to upgrade I would save your money towards a better bike instead of throwing money at this thing.
Old 04-15-21, 09:36 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
The Tourney RD-TY500 and RD-TY300 rear derailleurs have long cages, claw mount, and Megarange compatibility. They are probably currently out of stock everywhere because of the pandemic. QBP lists a substitute by Microshift, but that one doesn't do Megarange.

The one you have looks like a short-cage model that might be out of production.
Old 04-16-21, 11:50 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
This Tourney derailleur is named Jim.
At first it looked like a John, then it looked like a full-on James, but with that big red jockey wheel, James seemed too formal. Jim. Jim is this derailleurs name & that's that.

BTW: The tourney's with the big red wheel are the "special" ones reserved for ultra-cheap big-box store bikes. If you ride this bike very much, you are soon really going to wish you had the better model that would be found at an LBS. There is a reason the big-box tends to advertise "same brands" and not "same products."
I like your humor. does LBS stands for Lobster shop? i get what you mean.
what do you think about those 2 more recent DRailleur tx35 and ty300.
Are they same level of braking crap or are they decent (im not searching for expensive stuff, more like best bang for buck .
Old 04-16-21, 11:52 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Knowing only what's in the original post:

Stand your bike upright against something and look at your derailleur from the back. If the derailleur arm looks like it's leaning inward and pointing toward the rear wheel, bend it back with your hands so that the derailleur arm is vertical. My bet is that'll fix it.
hi this one is not broken my other regular bike is the one in need of a DIRECT MOUNTa Drailleur for Megarange (i want OSpulley and Long cage . I take you tip, is the arm the silverish part yes?

Last edited by first trip; 04-16-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-16-21, 03:05 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
"LBS"- Local Bike Shop; the brick-and-mortar/ corner bicycle shop.

Quality wise, no difference between RD-TX35 and RD TY300, only difference is production timeline/vintage.

Since there can be many "silvery" components depending on vintage, a picture would be nice. Just in case, the cage is where the derailer's pulleys are held in.