Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Old 04-06-20, 09:25 PM
trailrnr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I would have pulled out my frame pump and did to him what the Italian pro racer did to Dave in Breaking Away.

Ditto
Likes For trailrnr:
Old 04-13-20, 12:08 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Just because someone is a cyclist doesn't mean they are a decent person. Be glad he was a cyclist, not a motorist.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-18-20, 08:36 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
BP remember the Karma Bus will be warming up one day and run over that ()*YYF)H#PIB$R cyclist. That attorney was right about the guy that coal dusted another guy. I hope I don't ever need it but I go almost nowhere without defensive devices. I guess I have PTSD or maybe I'm paranoid but after 23 years working in a prison system I am at least more aware of the guys who are "off the charts". I have heard one inmate talking to another on the yard saying, "I'll never leave another victim alive to testify". It is good to be more polite than the a-ver-age bear as Yogi might have said. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 04-19-20, 08:24 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I am a roadie too and see these Jackwagons who think they are the salt of biking! And we wonder why some cagers have come to hate cyclist.

Just breathe deep when you encounter these clowns and smile at them.
Old 04-21-20, 07:55 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I've not had anyone blow through a light I was sitting at, but the only time I ever said critical to another cyclist was when I had a guy ride up on me on a relatively busy street COMING THE WRONG DIRECTION. Granted, he didn't appear to be a serious cyclist, but I did not fail to educate him on his stupidity and how it makes the rest of us look. He actually thanked me and told me to have a good day as he switched to the correct side of the road.
Old 04-21-20, 11:16 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
It's too bad you had this lousy experience, thanks to the actions of another rider. A couple of months ago an avid looking rider I was beginning to pass from behind, pulled an unsafe move which put us both in danger with approaching traffic. I politely asked him "Please consider other cyclists sharing the road", and he threatened me with violence. I was shocked by this, looked at him with disgust and shook my head. A few miles later as my group of 5 riders were waiting to make a left turn at a light, the rider approached and said "If you ever talk to me like that again, I'll knock you off your bike." We all just looked at him without saying a word, and he departed. (Any physical action on his part wouldn't have gone well for him) One of my group said they had a "run in" with him before, and that he was the same colorful personality then as well. We ignored this exchange and continued our ride.

Riding a bicycle is such a beautiful act, it puts ugly behavior of other riders under a magnifying glass.
Old 04-21-20, 05:52 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
What are these things you call traffic lights? Like a previous poster said “. nature will take him out naturally “ that natural selection or Darwinism they told us about in skool.

I’m trying to figure out what a traffic light is.
Old 04-22-20, 06:31 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
BP remember the Karma Bus will be warming up one day and run over that ()*YYF)H#PIB$R cyclist. That attorney was right about the guy that coal dusted another guy. I hope I don't ever need it but I go almost nowhere without defensive devices. I guess I have PTSD or maybe I'm paranoid but after 23 years working in a prison system I am at least more aware of the guys who are "off the charts". I have heard one inmate talking to another on the yard saying, "I'll never leave another victim alive to testify". It is good to be more polite than the a-ver-age bear as Yogi might have said. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
I spent 20 years in law enforcement and now working in corporate security....I travel the same way
Old 05-01-20, 02:20 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
This guy is punishing himself with bike road rage. He's slowly ruining his own life. Keep clear if it as best you can. Certainly don't push back any more than you have because you never know if or when it will escalate. Also, you can have payback work really well a mere handful of times in your life. Save it for more deserving users & takers who have stepped on your toes. Make the few real opportunities count and you'll find, like I did, that having the last laugh really puts a spring in your step and a smile on your face. bk
Old 05-01-20, 03:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I spent 20 years in law enforcement and now working in corporate security....I travel the same way
Ha, I thought those were love handles... I ride with a few retired guys. Some looney tune jumped in front of one of the guys yelling at him to use a bell. The guy behind him got on his front brake too hard and went down hard. The crazy guy went to his pocket and a dog pile occured. We were just enjoying a nice day out.
Old 05-03-20, 06:16 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I thought of that scene right away, but it might not be as effective trying to get a CO2 cylinder to jam the spokes.
Old 05-08-20, 08:59 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I find waving is best!

Makes them stop and think that they might be known by you, and therefore outed!

Makes them worry about what they have done.
Old 05-09-20, 05:36 PM
snake1977
Monkeyboy

Bikes: Trek ebike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are crazy rude females as well...

I join this forum today just so I can rant about my bad experience. It's not just guys, there's crazy girls out there. I was out cycling with my son on carrier behind me riding around our neighborhood. Some blond girl (I would say trophy wife) in her 20's walking her pomeranian says to me, "Aren't you too old to be on a bicycle with your son?". I'm not even bothering her. I don't know why she said that. My son is 3 1/2 and I'm 43. I was going slow up a hill because 40lb child plus 50lb beach cruiser. I guess in her eyes anyone over 26 is too old to be on a bicycle. I really wanted to say "Aren't you too young to be riding your husband", but since I didn't see any guys around I just kept my mouth shut and kept riding. But boy did it bother me. Who the hell is too old to be cycling? So there's rude and crazy females out there as well.

I moved into the neighborhood for good schools, affluent neighbors, but I guess as they say you can't buy "class". God it bugs me!
(I'm a west coast, southern california guy so it might be expected here... sigh.)
Likes For snake1977:
Old 05-13-20, 10:38 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Ironic how he blew past red lights and maybe stop signs but you caught up with him more than once.

There are plenty of threads that discuss how some riders don't think road signs apply to cyclists and that there are proper ways to blow through them. That forces those who do have the right-of-way to yield to them turning us into 'nicetards'.
Old 05-13-20, 11:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
4 pages of Much Ado about NOTHING,

except looney people get to reassure themselves they need to carry guns on a bicycle. Sad Insecure People, they are..
Old 05-13-20, 12:14 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Marylander mentioned it first, and a few others touched on it too -- this whole situation is putting a lot of people on edge. You go past signs that say "we're all in this together" or "stronger together" but then it's back to another day of being anything but together with the world. All the signs should say: "Hey buddy, you're on your own!"

There are fewer cars on the streets, but it somehow still feels congested, angry. Some guy the other day tried to prevent me from getting over into a turn lane, then honked at me. I don't own golf clubs, but I wished I had a set in my car so I could go full Jack Nicholson on his windshield at the light. I get your anger. There's this rage that just silently builds, like hunger, until it's all consuming.

Something we can't see is threatening to kill us, the people in our families, our neighbors. There is no cure, only odds. Every one of us has a revolver to our temple with one bullet, but how many empty chambers -- 100? 20? 6? Meanwhile, finances are either going up in flames, totally uncertain or unjustifiably flush while everyone suffers -- each situation brings its own loathing.

Cycling is a good escape. You can ride. You can control your bike. Some say balance is a sense like taste or sight; if there is ever a time to revel in the sensation of balance, it's now.
Likes For ljsense: