Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 12:16 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Our roads are finally clear-ish after the snow earlier this week. I'm thinking that I might squeeze out for a short ride after my son gets home from school - if the wife doesn't have any afternoon meetings, she should be able to make sure that they don't burn the house down while my son does home work and the girl watches something.
I'm a little behind on my weekly mileage and would have preferred an extra 10 miles on top of what I did, but I spent too much time screwing around this AM and trying to get one of our dogs to go to the bathroom. Woke up yesterday and he was laying on his bend panting, wouldn't eat, wouldn't walk or anything else. We ended up taking him to the emergency vet shortly thereafter. $1,200 later we found out it was an infection in his foot. He had a 105 degree fever and his foot is incredibly swollen. We were so caught up on the other symptoms we didn't notice his foot and thought he'd been poisoned. Could have cut the bill in half by going to the farm vet we usually take him to, but it's good that he's feeling better. He's now on a broad spectrum antibiotic, methadone and an anti inflammatory.
Old 03-18-21, 12:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,881 Times in 6,087 Posts
Oh, yeah! Pictures:
Here's the headset with the covers in place:

Rear brake calipers with Black Rubber Nub

Shift levers with little gray covers over the cable end holes.

Cranks, complete with Biopace chainrings in all their oval-y goodness.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-18-21, 12:17 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
A few years back, I decided that I wanted to add a bigger cassette to my tandem so I bought a Wolf link and a bigger cassette and installed it but the dang thing would never shift right so I decided the old derailleur looked worn out and bought a new derailleur.. The thing still wouldn't shift properly so I reinstalled all of the old stuff which worked flawlessly and gave up. Some time later, I was showing a friend my tandem and mentioned the problems i had had with my new 11 speed Ultegra derailleur and 11 speed Ultegra cassette. It only took him a couple seconds to point out that I had a 10 speed drive train including 10 speed shifters.

Duh...
A while ago I got a great deal on a Lemond from Craigslist. Sold because it didn't shift well. Turns out it had 9 speed Ultegra levers and an 8 speed cassette.
Old 03-18-21, 12:24 PM
Jack Tone 

Originally Posted by genejockey
Oh, yeah! Pictures:
Here's the headset with the covers in place:

Rear brake calipers with Black Rubber Nub

Shift levers with little gray covers over the cable end holes.

Cranks, complete with Biopace chainrings in all their oval-y goodness.
Love that white groupset. I watched a Vegan Cyclist video where he was excited about oval chainrings. I decided to put an old Biopace 52 ring on an old bike. Rotated the ring forward one notch as per the internet. Gotta say, I really liked it. I'm not sure if it was the ring, or the fact that I went from 53 to 52 teeth that made it feel great.
Old 03-18-21, 12:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Love that white groupset. I watched a Vegan Cyclist video where he was excited about oval chainrings. I decided to put an old Biopace 52 ring on an old bike. Rotated the ring forward one notch as per the internet. Gotta say, I really liked it. I'm not sure if it was the ring, or the fact that I went from 53 to 52 teeth that made it feel great.
Hmmmm. Just watched that video. I'll have to take the chainrings off to clean them, so that's an opportune time to adjust them.

Old 03-18-21, 12:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yup. We physicians have been pulling a fast one on patients for too long, and now it's time to pull the curtain back and expose the wizard for what he really is.

Sad!
Reality has begun to suck so bad for so much of the population that they have decided en masse to invent alternatives and attack the meritocratic elites whose power comes from the old consensus on what's real. Once science, or even ethics, is just one of a hundred competing of points of view, we are good and ****ed and that's what some people want.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-18-21, 01:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Reality has begun to suck so bad for so much of the population that they have decided en masse to invent alternatives and attack the meritocratic elites whose power comes from the old consensus on what's real. Once science, or even ethics, is just one of a hundred competing of points of view, we are good and ****ed and that's what some people want.
Correct. People seeking alternative facts can certainly find them.

Quite worrisome, and I am not sure what to do about it other than carry on and take some Fukitol PRN.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-21, 01:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

So we decided to pay the $150 ransom/fee and now have upgraded our FIOS from 75 to 200 Mbps.

Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-21, 01:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Correct. People seeking alternative facts can certainly find them.

Quite worrisome, and I am not sure what to do about it other than carry on and take some Fukitol PRN.
We have to be humble, under-promise, and over-deliver.
Old 03-18-21, 01:40 PM
Jack Tone 

Weighed my new/old bike before with all the junk on it..29.5 pounds. Weighed it now, complete with new aluminum seatpost..24.25 pounds.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 03-18-21, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
"“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Azimov.

So, not a new phenomenon, but has certainly been supercharged by the internet, and having all the false information at your fingertips.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-18-21, 01:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Weighed my new/old bike before with all the junk on it..29.5 pounds. Weighed it now, complete with new aluminum seatpost..24.25 pounds.
I figure on getting at least a pound of dirt off the Circuit. Amazing to think that when new, its 21+ lbs weight was considered very light.

Old 03-18-21, 01:46 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
So we decided to pay the $150 ransom/fee and now have upgraded our FIOS from 75 to 200 Mbps.

Excellent!
Hopefully it will help with your Zwift dropouts.
Old 03-18-21, 01:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, yeah! So in addition to getting the Circuit and being tickled at how compete it is, I also did another Zwift race. Same one I rode last week, the 'Circuit Race' in Paris. Finished 5th, but the Anti-Sandbagging provisions eliminated 2 riders ahead of me so I got third. So far, in 4 races, I have made the Podium each time. Racing at 5 or 6 in the evening seems to be the key. 6 of us spent the bulk of the race in a tight group, with riders doing occasional forays off the front, only to be reeled in. I used my 'Feather' power-up to attack coming out of an underpass rather too far from the finish, and blew up about 200 meters out. Note to self: 0.4 miles is NOT 400 meters!

Old 03-18-21, 01:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Yup. We physicians have been pulling a fast one on patients for too long, and now it's time to pull the curtain back and expose the wizard for what he really is.

Sad!
It seems, that with a smaller pool of unvaccinated folk, that pool will be where the virus tends to go. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Last edited by seedsbelize; 03-18-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 02:01 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by genejockey
I did NOT take the Circuit apart last night, but I did check it out very carefully. I'd been thinking of the Sante groupset as a 'white groupset', but there's a whole lot more to it. There are 3 or 4 shades of gray they used. Hubs are silver-gray, not quite polished, with largish light gray dust covers. The headset has white races top and bottom, but then the nuts are covered with a two-part plastic cover in two different shades of gray. There are caps on the holes in the shift levers where the cables enter, which are gray, against the pearlescent white levers. And this bike has ALL the bits! Except the little black rubber nub that goes in the hole in the center bolt on the front brakes where an allen key goes. The one in back is still there.

The bike is REALLY dirty. The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are covered in crud, like the previous owners never heard of cleaning before adding NEW lubricant. But as I'm cleaning various bits, I'm discovering that the dirt has been like a protective outer layer!

The tubes are really small, compared to what I'm used to. I realize that even the Ritchey's tubes were oversize, and they're small compared to the Battaglin's MAX tubeset, and even smaller than the Cannondale's Aluminum tubes. Chrome forks, chainstays and seatstays, paint and decals all in good condition. The hubs spin smoothly, as does the BB. I'll repack the hubs, but the BB will have to stay as it is.

I bought a 130mm stem to replace the 90 that's on it. Also a SOMA Highway One bar in 44 to replace the 40 mm Cinelli Giro d'Italia. I looked at wider Giro d'Italia bars but the bars are already going to be kind of low. I figure I can give up a little vintage flavor for actually desire to ride. Black bar tape, to go with the black Rolls saddle. White cable housing.
Why won't you repack the bb?

Old 03-18-21, 02:02 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
roku channel has all the seasons of 24. Guess what I am watching.

This was my favorite show when I was in Middle/ high school. I think I have prolly watched all the seasons atleast 8 times, but it never gets old.
Old 03-18-21, 02:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I'm using a roadbike with upright bars for my town bike, currently. It flats much more easily. It flatted this morning and I walked home. And found that the knee is no more amenable to distance walking than it is to distance cycling. But. We've had temps in the upper 90s for three days in a row, and there was no pain experienced on the ride in.

Old 03-18-21, 02:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Why won't you repack the bb?
Because I don't have 1) Crank extractor, 2) Fixed cup wrench, 3) Adjustable cup wrenches.

Old 03-18-21, 02:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It seems, that with a smaller pool of unvaccinated folk, that pool will be where the virus tends to go. Is that an incorrect assumption?
Well, yes and no. The more vaccinees in the population, the fewer susceptible people there are for the virus to transmit to. With enough vaccinees, the rate of transmission will fall below 1 transmission per infected person and at that point the epidemic diminishes. Eventually, it could go away completely.

Unless....

Unless the people who insist on NOT getting vaccinated tend to live together or near each other. But even then, eventually it would burn out. The problem is, the larger the unvaccinated population and/or the slower the rate of vaccination, the more time the virus has to evolve. The goal should be to get as close to everyone in America vaccinated as fast as humanly possible, so the virus doesn't have time or opportunity to mutate into a resistant form

Old 03-18-21, 02:23 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Bike nerdery content. TL;DR at the bottom:

I've known for a while that the aftermarket fork I have on my 710 is shorter than the stock one and it's bugged me terribly ever since I installed it. I finally took the time to take the bike apart and get some actual measurements to figure out exactly how much of a difference there is.

Turns out my new fork axle-to-crown is 10mm shorter than the stock one. This results the front end lowering quite significantly, and steepening all the effective angles on the bike by a little over .5°. Not a huge issue on paper - the 63cm frame that I have was brazed at 73.5°/72.5° so the HTA/STA steepened up to 74°/73°. Still a reasonably shallow STA and that HTA is steep, but not overly so.

What bugged me is that with the front end 10mm lower there is a quite conspicuous downward slope to the top tube, which just looks so wrong on a classic lugged frame. It's been on my mind constantly and there has been handwringing upon handwringing with the different options to fix it:

I bought a needle bearing headset with a tall lower stack height, but that only gave me a few additional millimeters.
I could go back to the original fork but I never really liked how it rode (5cm trail with wide 650b tires just feels a little weird), plus I'd have to get canti posts brazed on and powdercoated. Handling gets even weirder with a handlebar bag.
I could have the original fork re-raked to lower the trail and get the handling I want, but that's another pretty big chunk of change and the front end would drop a bit anyways so I'm still in the same situation, just not as bad.
Custom forks are $$$ I'd rather use for something different.

I eventually stumbled upon someone on eBay that makes taller crown races for MTBs - I guess sometimes for fat bikes you need some extra room below the head tube so a suspension fork doesn't smack the downtube - but all he made were for forks with 1 1/8" or 1 1/2" steer tubes. I figured something like that would my best option - using a cartridge bearing headset with 36°/45° bearings all I had to do was reproduce the fairly simple geometry of the crown race that came with the headset I wanted to use and then add 10mm on the bottom!

Drew up something up real quick and shot it off to him since he does custom parts as well. $30 and a day later the part is on it's way to my house!

Fingers crossed I designed it correctly. Also got a nice little boost to the ego when he told me he'd do it for the same price as his stock spacers - "Very nice drawing will make it easy."

Although, now I'm going to have a bit of a challenge because I'm about 5mm shorter than ideal on steer tube length...

TL;DR - I'm getting a custom crown race spacer to make up for a 10mm too short axle to crown on one of my bikes.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-18-21, 02:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
I still haven't been vaccinated. Was hoping the lung thing would clear up some first but it just keeps on truckin'. COPD, asthma, whatever it is. Some days, like Saturday, I feel pretty good and climb well enough. Then Tuesday 3 of us met up and my friend took us up a couple thousand feet of climbing at the start. I couldn't get my breathing going and they had to keep waiting and I was embarrassed at how crappy I rode. Later I started feeling better and yesterday I went climbing alone and felt good again. Trying not to use the Albuterol too much. Last time I was at the doctor she wanted to prescribe another drug but I decided to wait. I guess another appointment is in the cards.
Old 03-18-21, 02:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big john
I still haven't been vaccinated. Was hoping the lung thing would clear up some first but it just keeps on truckin'. COPD, asthma, whatever it is. Some days, like Saturday, I feel pretty good and climb well enough. Then Tuesday 3 of us met up and my friend took us up a couple thousand feet of climbing at the start. I couldn't get my breathing going and they had to keep waiting and I was embarrassed at how crappy I rode. Later I started feeling better and yesterday I went climbing alone and felt good again. Trying not to use the Albuterol too much. Last time I was at the doctor she wanted to prescribe another drug but I decided to wait. I guess another appointment is in the cards.
Whatever it is, it's letting you do some impressive rides, old man! Has anyone told you to wait for that?
Old 03-18-21, 03:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Maybe. My suspicion is the virus infection rate will go UP not down over the next 2 months, because people are letting up their guard and the people who have been spreading the virus are NOT the ones getting vaccinated. Luckily the hospitalization/death rates should not go up much because the vulnerable are getting the vaccine and/or being careful.

How it plays out beyond the next 2 months is anyone's guess.
Old 03-18-21, 03:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
How crazy is Philly, you ask? The other day a guy gets released from prison and is murdered about an hour later while still on prison grounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.