Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 11-30-08, 10:26 AM
Force 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 64 Posts
Gordo Grande, you are killing me with these photos! I've got to move near the water.
Old 11-30-08, 03:01 PM
Gordo Grande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
Gordo Grande, you are killing me with these photos! I've got to move near the water.
LOL! I thought that all those beach shots would get to a few folks at least.

There is no question that living in Los Angeles has its drawbacks, but how bad can it be if we have this everyday? That Ballona Creek Bike Path, which leads directly to the Beach Bike Path, runs right past my house. I try to ride it everyday. I can get there in about twenty minutes.

BTW, that bridge over the Ballona Creek is an amazing place to just sit and watch bicycles. You see every type and make going by every day. The other day I saw a few Pashley (sp?) type bicycles there, as well as roadsters, tourists, racers, beach cruisers, recumbants, tandems, wheel chairs, row-cycles, dutch type bicycles, (I tried to buy one off a guy from Sweden), folders, and of course racers.

The Beach Bike Path also happens to be part of the Adventure Cyclist (Bikecentennial) West Coast Bike Route. I see tourists passing through every day.

Even better, I can combine bicycling with my other obsession, which is fishing. I can ride to the beach, fish to my heart's content, and then ride home. That stretch by the Marina is good for halibut, bass, and barracuda. The beach itself is also good for halibut and surf perch.

What more can I ask for? I'm not going to have any problem finding something to fill my time when I retire in a few years.
Old 12-01-08, 11:28 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Here's a lazy Sunday afternoon in Mountain View, Ca. I ride a Fuji Touring IV Series, and my wife rides a Specialized Rock Hopper (which she often inadvertently calls a Hard Rock).

Today we put a Zone bar each into our saddlebags, filled our water bottles with tap water, and headed out to ride the trail along the shoreline, which extends along the heel of the San Francisco bay.

In this picture you can look across the bay and see the haze over Milpitas, Ca.

Here we are riding south. You’re probably looking over my wife’s shoulder at the north part of San Jose.

Along the way you can see NASA Ames Research Center. NASA is a group of pretty smart people who send people to outer space and shoot laser at the Vulcans.

We stopped at a random school to eat our Zone bars.

Then we continued on. It is a long and well-maintained trail, with nice things to see. We pedaled and pedaled. Then the trail suddenly ends at a chain-linked fence with a generic sign that says “End of Trail.” We scratched out heads and picked our bikes up and turned them around, and started pedaling the other way.

Last edited by powerband; 12-01-08 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:29 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over my wife’s shoulder you can see Moffet Field, a military airfield with very large hangers, with active runways on which big military planes still take off and land. The rumble in the sky can often be heard for miles and you’d think you’re in WWII somewhere in Europe. (But really you’re in Mountain View a few miles from the 101 and Whole Foods down the street.)

My wife is a speed reader.

Last edited by powerband; 12-01-08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:30 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trail led us to Shoreline Park, where people bring their families and kids and boyfriends and girlfriends and pets and books and mistresses and iPods and suntan lotion.

You can rent small sale boats.

O-oh. What’s this?

The bridge to home is guarded by a North American Great Egret (?), and you have to give him the secret phrase in order to cross.

The secret phrase is “My brother is a taxidermist.”

We were let through.

He wasn’t very social, but he was gorgeous.

Last edited by powerband; 12-02-08 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:31 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We’re close to home, riding through the Google complex. A picture of me.

Another picture of me. (I have lots of pictures of me.)

This is a Google thing. For those who don’t know what Google is: they organize the Internet and their next project is to extend world dominance to Planet Vulcan, and beyond.

Google street.

Google really believes in alternative transportation and encourages biking. They even have a speed meter that’s sensitive to even a single bicycle. Here I fumbled with my camera to take this shot just right in the nick of time, as I rode past it at 11 mph, and nearly dropped the camera.

Google entrance. Whether it’s their front door, back door, side door, or one of the trillions of doors that Google owns, I have no idea. The campus stretches for blocks after blocks.

Last edited by powerband; 12-01-08 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:32 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stopped for coffee at a mainstream coffee joint.

Then picked up burritos to take home to eat in the comfort of our own back patio.

A well-deserved meal.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.
Old 12-03-08, 11:17 AM
VintageR
Yes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, *the thread* is back again!!

Hi thread, nice to have you back, I see you're doin' fine ...

Those were some very nice immersing stories, guys!
I really dig those lively impressions, it sometimes feels I've been there myself.
(It's rather chilly over here, so no bike ridin' for me. Just sitting 'round, looking at your pics, and envy .)
Old 12-03-08, 01:22 PM
Gordo Grande

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We get those giant egrets down here in L.A. too. The Ballona Creek Bike Path runs right along the Ballona Wetlands, just south of Marina Del Rey. It's an area that people have been fighting to protect for decades, because it's a key piece of the Pacific Coast Flyway. We get egrets, great blue herons and other beautiful birds. It makes the ride worthwhile.

It's amazing how many folks cruise right by without noticing these beautiful creatures.
Old 12-03-08, 01:28 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
We have herons and egrets here too - only not too likely to see them this time of year.
Old 12-03-08, 01:56 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you might guess from the pictures above, the Egrets around here seem to be ammuned to people. I could have hand-fed the one we passed on the bridge some gummy bears and had a full-on conversation with him about the United States embargo against Cuba. But, he was a little annoyed with the "taxidermist" comment.

He was enormous up close and I didn't want to get on his bad side.
Old 12-03-08, 02:18 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by powerband
As you might guess from the pictures above, the Egrets around here seem to be ammuned to people. I could have hand-fed the one we passed on the bridge some gummy bears and had a full-on conversation with him about the United States embargo against Cuba. But, he was a little annoyed with the "taxidermist" comment.

He was enormous up close and I didn't want to get on his bad side.
Dang. I saw you had posted and was hoping it was more pictures.

One lives a bit vicariously when it's 35 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside.
Old 12-03-08, 03:45 PM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro

I know about living vicariously... My friend's younger brother, a senior in college, comes home every holiday with a new girlfriend who is invariably more attractive than the last.

Also, I've been married for 8 years; I know about cold temperature.

(Lori, if you're reading this, I'm just kidding. )
Old 12-04-08, 07:38 AM
VintageR
Yes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... I've been married for 8 years; I know about cold temperature.

I know about living vicariously... My friend's younger brother, a senior in college, comes home every holiday with a new girlfriend who is invariably more attractive than the last.

... sounds like you should go to confession ...
Old 12-04-08, 11:57 AM
Gordo Grande

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro

I'll have to go out and take some more beach shots for you.....maybe this weekend.

I grew up in Wisconsin...I know how you feel!
Old 12-06-08, 10:53 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
It is December 6 and here, high in a mountain valley, there should be a foot or more of snow on the side of the road.
But not. Again today we could ride dry pavement through the crisp late fall air. The skiers and the farmers are not
particularly amused by the dearth of white stuff, but a handful of die-hard cyclists celebrated with a longish ride.

So with the scenery merely gray and dreary, featuring naked branches against a leaden sky, I decided to focus the
camera on my recently completed ride, a Spanish Razesa.

Excuse the footwear, so very uncool, but hiking boots with two pairs of rag socks and plastic bag liners are the ticket
when the daytime highs are around 32 degrees, and all the spare cash is spent on vintage components instead of proper
cycle wear. Taking my gloves off to handle the camera was a near invitation to frostbite.

Old 12-07-08, 08:47 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
^ Cool pic, Jan. A very nice bike.

No riding for me today in my little corner of PA. We got some snow last night and the roads are slick.
Old 12-07-08, 12:00 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Work's been beating the hell out of me, and until yesterday I hadn't been on a bike since 11/23. Yesterday, the NorCal BF folks organized a little jaunt up Mt Hamilton and back, and I decided to tag along. Not only that, but I conned Bikingshearer to go along with me.

It was your basic miserable CA winter day - about 40 dergrees at first light, but already in the 50's at the 9:30am start. It turned out to be a nice clear day, more or less cloudless and in the mid-60's for the most part. With the recent rains the grass is making a comeback, but the deciduous trees have paid their annual price and will not awaken till late January or so.

Anyway, we had a fine time, rode 38 miles, and climbed 5,000'+. Pretty much 20 up and 20 down.

Some pics:

Back of the autobus:

First climb:

First glimpse of destination, Lick observatory - still 13 miles distant:

Autobus self-portrait:

Hairpin:

A bunch of road:

Shhh..... he's sleeping:

Autumn colors:

Rich:

Top of the world:

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-07-08, 04:54 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Left the apartment at 9:45am. temp: 39 degrees.

Arrived home: 3:55pm. temp: 59 degrees(ish)

Between those two times: 63mi @ 16.4mph. (plus two rest stops, a stop for lunch after the origanized ride, etc.

It was the first ride on my Serotta since putting the new wheels on it that bikeforums member urbanknight built for me. Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims laced to Camapgnolo Daytona hubs with DTSwiss Revolution spokes (Competition for rear drive side). 12-25 10sp Centaur cassette and Conti GP4000s tires made up the rest of the wheelset.

I give the new wheels high marks all around. I didn't feel all that well during much of the ride, but I stayed with (if not at the front of) the pack most of the ride. Braking surface is as good if not better than my mavic open pros, and much better than the non-machined rims such as my Campagnolo Omega 19 set.

Lots more photos of the wheels here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=7981425
Old 12-08-08, 12:34 AM
powerband

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigbossman, great photos of the ride! I've yet to make it out to Mount Hammy -- bicycle or motorcycle. Your pictures are inspiring me to take the motorcycle out that way, at least for the first trip up to the observatory.

Cheers.
Old 12-08-08, 04:53 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Bigbossman, great photos of the ride! I've yet to make it out to Mount Hammy -- bicycle or motorcycle. Your pictures are inspiring me to take the motorcycle out that way, at least for the first trip up to the observatory.

Cheers.
Use the motorcycle. For the last few miles, I was feeling a lot like the skunk in the photo montage.

BBM ain't kidding - it's pretty much 20 miles up, 20 miles back down.
Old 12-08-08, 09:07 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decided to take the Austro-Daimler out on the Josie Johnson Memorial ride on Sunday. It was about 43 when I left at 11 AM and never got above 45 all day. The ride is a gentle rolling loop, 25 miles total, through some nice neighborhoods and then up along the East Bench on Wasatch Blvd back to Salt Lake. I'm glad I went for a ride - its snowing today...

Coming up out of Cottonwood to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Looking south along Wasatch Blvd toward the mountains.

Looking north to Salt Lake City. We have our "winter inversion" (pollution) back now.

The Austro-Daimler leaning against a rock.

Looking south from Wasatch over the 215 freeway.

One of the three bike/pedestrian bridges over the junction of I-80 and I-215. You can see I-80 going east to Wyoming in the background.

Old 12-09-08, 07:17 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going on a 20 mile ride tomorrow on my Schwinn. Will definitely post some pics.
Old 12-10-08, 01:56 PM
fearfeasog
Gaeilgeoir

Bikes: 2003 Giant Iguana (ONCE yellow), '86 Team Fuji (Blue/Yellow), '87 Schwinn Le Tour (Frost White)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i didn't ride today...bummer.
Old 12-10-08, 02:15 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by fearfeasog
i didn't ride today...bummer.

I didnt either. After riding around 5k miles from April to October, in the last month and a half or so I've only logged about 60

Lame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.