Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fit: BMC to Compact

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 12:15 PM
cingram
ur-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm convinced that I bought the wrong size (and manufacturer) road frame. My 61cm BMC Road Racer doesn't mesh well with my 6'2" body.

What keyed me in on this was borrowing a 58cm Specialized Tarmac, on which I felt far more comfortable and confident while cornering and descending. I could also generate more power and felt less pain during and after riding. The carbon felt great, and the frame had way less flex than my BMC. Overall, the Tarmac yielded a vastly superior experience.

So, I can't afford a new Tarmac frameset, and was thinking the next best thing may be to jump on the Neo Exile groupbuy. I figure I should be able to get about $500 for my old frame, fork (upgraded to Richey WCS) and post (upgraded to Thomson Masterpiece), plus I'd sell my 1983 Trek Touring bike for which I have no use (maybe another $300). In the end, I should come out even after paying to ship the Neo stateside.

Given that the 58 Specialized felt so good, do you all think I should go with the 57 or the 60? 57 sounds so tiny. 60 sounds large. Any recommendations? Alternative manufacturers to look at?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-09, 12:26 PM
subframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should get a fitting to determine what size bike is right for you. Even a basic one will be fine. Top tube length is more important than seat tube length.

I also think you should post pics of the BMC, cuz those are nice bikes
Old 02-12-09, 12:28 PM
subframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, my Exile arrived the other day, and it's a beautiful frame. Should be built soon, and I'll report on it's ride characteristics then.
Old 02-12-09, 12:29 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and ride a 58cm Scott (compact frame). If I had your choices, I'd go with the 57cm Specialized.
Old 02-12-09, 12:51 PM
Steel Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subframe
i think you should get a fitting to determine what size bike is right for you. Even a basic one will be fine. Top tube length is more important than seat tube length.
+1
Old 02-12-09, 01:38 PM
blindvelcro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMC runs a little big, I am a little over 6 foot, and ride a 55 BMC, when getting fitted I was just a touch big for the 53!!!!
Old 02-12-09, 01:46 PM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
get fitted by a Qualify fitter, is the best thing you can do.
my first road bike 58cm frame, right now I am riding 54-55 cm.