Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What constitutes a Bonk?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What constitutes a Bonk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 10:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
I've never had any trouble recovering after I bonked. I used to live in a place where most of the good rides end with a ride up a mountain, so bonking is a really bad idea. I remember bonking twice. Once was on a century, and I just went to sleep by the side of the road instead of riding a few blocks to the end of the ride. I don't think there is usually pain involved, although cramping might be. It becomes clear that there is no energy left to make the muscles move.

On the other hand, last year I had a ride with a lot of climbing where my body was wracked with pain after the last mountain. There is probably some nutritional explanation for what happened, but it wasn't bonk.
Old 03-05-09, 10:34 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
If you felt like eating your arm to keep yourself from falling over...
This is the right answer.

If you feel like a hollow shell...
if you feel like your arms are made of the same stuff they make those orange carnival peanut candies out of...
If your legs feel like jelly...
If you see nothing wrong with stealing food from a plate at an outdoor cafe...
If your average speed drops 5mph in the span of a mile...

It usually happens about 2 hours into a ride. Not after one hard effort.

Last edited by EventServices; 03-05-09 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add humor.
Old 03-05-09, 11:02 PM
Jawn P

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Redline Monocog, Redline Conquest Pro, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and a Sunday BMX bike!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't forget the cold sweat.
Old 03-05-09, 11:32 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
It usually happens about 2 hours into a ride.
depends on your glycogen stores really...
Old 03-05-09, 11:36 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
too funny.

bonking, while not a scientific word, is a science. too many people toss it out there after a crappy ride. maybe you are just a crappy rider in crappy condition?

later.
WOW I appreciate that.
Old 03-05-09, 11:39 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
depends on your glycogen stores really...
One of the few times I bonked was about 6 hours into a ride. Took me about twice as long to cover the last 20 miles or so. Fortunately much of it was downhill, but I was so shakey I had to go really slow to not crash.
Old 03-05-09, 11:39 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that I didn't "bonk" in the traditional accepted definition, but what would you call not being able to go as fast as normal all in a single word.
Old 03-05-09, 11:41 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Like_Bike
I know that I didn't "bonk" in the traditional accepted definition, but what would you call not being able to go as fast as normal all in a single word.
*****ism. No?
Old 03-05-09, 11:45 PM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tired...fatigued...exhausted....undertrained...

bonking is a whole different level...I really thought and felt like I was going to die...it was the worst i've ever felt in my life.

Last edited by chrisvu05; 03-05-09 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 11:53 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisvu05
bonking is a whole different level...I really thought and felt like I was going to die...it was the worst i've ever felt in my life.
Exactly. On the few occasions I've bonked I've felt totally demoralized and depressed. Utter despair at being miles from home and unable to summon the energy and will to turn the crank. Inability to concentrate, loss of peripheral vision. It's the worst.
Old 03-06-09, 12:01 AM
mangovich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you bonk you feel as though the whole universe has run out of energy, and nothing can go further...
Old 03-06-09, 12:15 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mangovich
when you bonk you feel as though the whole universe has run out of energy, and nothing can go further...
Perfect!
Old 03-06-09, 12:15 AM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
To the OP: You didn't bonk. You blew up. It happens to the best of us.
Old 03-06-09, 12:17 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tired
Old 03-06-09, 12:19 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides
Exactly. On the few occasions I've bonked I've felt totally demoralized and depressed. Utter despair at being miles from home and unable to summon the energy and will to turn the crank. Inability to concentrate, loss of peripheral vision. It's the worst.
Or in my case I was only 3 miles from home, which would normally be 10-15 minutes...and I did not have the energy to get back on my bike let alone pedal home...the only reason I made it home was I realized that if I didn't get out of the heat soon I would most likely end up in the hospital. Your body can do crazy things when you think you might die.
Old 03-06-09, 02:43 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only had two cases where it was a for-sure bonk, but numerous others where I was on my way there and took care of it by eating something.

Once was while I was trail running, and once was at about mile 100 of a 103 mile ride. I almost didn't make it on that last one. I couldn't see straight. I was shaking. I had huge floating white spots in my vision like I had been staring at the sun. I nearly ran off the road. The scariest part was the mental confusion and depression, and fear really. I had to make a specific mental effort to push the pedal on each downstroke. Left leg. Right leg.

Luckily I haven't had it get that bad since. When I sense it coming on a bit of quick carb intake usually takes care of it. I don't regularly use GU, but I always carry one or two for an emergency shot when needed.
Old 03-06-09, 04:41 AM
tim00gle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bonked once after only a ~20 mile ride. I tried to climb the hill to get back home and couldn't. I'd pedal for about 50 feet then have to pull over to the side and completely stop. It got to the point where I couldn't even get back on the bike. I ended up walking a mile to get to the top and coasted down. I couldn't even pedal lightly. When I got back, I proceeded to fall down the stairs to my apartment.

I was slurring words and having cold sweats for about 2 hours till the food I wolfed down digested.

I still have no idea why I bonked that day. Hopefully it never happens again.

The other time I could feel a bonk coming by around mile 65 of a 75 mile ride with no food (oops). A king sized snickers and a clifbar rescued me. I could literally feel the food rejuvenating me as it went down my throat. All was well after that.
Old 03-06-09, 05:51 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blood glucose level drop below 60 mg/dl.
Old 03-06-09, 08:21 AM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
If you felt like eating your arm to keep yourself from falling over...
Or contemplated licking discarded fast food wrappers and draining the last drops of soda from cans by the side of the road...anything to get some sort of energy. Ugh. May it never happen again...
Old 03-06-09, 08:53 AM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bonk is simply when you find yourself in cartoon land and while slowing to a stop on your bike.. a cartoon wolf "BONKS!" you over the head with one of those oversized cartoon bonking mallets!

I'm right and you know this.
Old 03-06-09, 09:11 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just my opinion, bonking is not dehydration, and some folks ride descriptions sound far more like dehydration than bonking.

I've dehydrated before, even when not doing physical activity. I was dehydrated so bad on a long motorcycle ride through the desert on a day when it was over 110 degrees, after many hours of riding and not drinking all day, I came up over a rise and could not remember which way to roll the throttle to slow down!!!!!

I have also bonked. My first bonk was in my first long 100 + mile road race. It was something like 3, 35 mile loops with many long climbs. The first lap I noticed folks on the side of one long shallow climb handing their riders food and drink, geeeeze, who needs that? (did I mention I was new to racing!). On the third lap, on the flats I was in no pain, no burn in my legs, no gasping for breath, I just could not pedal, my legs would barely turn the cranks. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. Just a 1/2 hour before I was moving with the lead group and now I was hopelessly behind the pelethon and no matter what I did my legs would not move any faster......I had run out of "gas". Can you say, "DNF"?
Old 03-06-09, 09:25 AM
mloywhite
Certified Train Wreck

Bikes: '07 Orbea Orca "06 Bianchi Castro Valley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife says she can tell if I bonked when she comes home, and there is a white/salt CSI-type outline of a body on the kitchen floor. She found that a couple of years ago when I had to lay there for about an hour after I bonked before I could even change clothes. I wish I had a photo, it was pretty funny.

Like UMD says, if you have to ask, you probably didn't.
Old 03-06-09, 10:30 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by con
Just my opinion, bonking is not dehydration, and some folks ride descriptions sound far more like dehydration than bonking.

I've dehydrated before, even when not doing physical activity. I was dehydrated so bad on a long motorcycle ride through the desert on a day when it was over 110 degrees, after many hours of riding and not drinking all day, I came up over a rise and could not remember which way to roll the throttle to slow down!!!!!

I have also bonked. My first bonk was in my first long 100 + mile road race. It was something like 3, 35 mile loops with many long climbs. The first lap I noticed folks on the side of one long shallow climb handing their riders food and drink, geeeeze, who needs that? (did I mention I was new to racing!). On the third lap, on the flats I was in no pain, no burn in my legs, no gasping for breath, I just could not pedal, my legs would barely turn the cranks. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. Just a 1/2 hour before I was moving with the lead group and now I was hopelessly behind the pelethon and no matter what I did my legs would not move any faster......I had run out of "gas". Can you say, "DNF"?
I call BS...3 years racing and I have yet to see a 100+ mile race for those who are "new to racing". You don't race 100+ unless you are a Pro/1/2 and even then most of the races are short of 100 miles. My longest race has been 68 miles as a Cat 4.
Old 03-06-09, 10:36 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of you need to HTFU
Old 03-06-09, 10:37 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisvu05
I call BS...3 years racing and I have yet to see a 100+ mile race for those who are "new to racing". You don't race 100+ unless you are a Pro/1/2 and even then most of the races are short of 100 miles. My longest race has been 68 miles as a Cat 4.
https://www.rougeroubaix.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.