Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 09:41 AM
ECB1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Drafting

I am new to group riding and a heavy man, I want to move up to the next level in our club rides but I don't know anything about drafting or if it will help bring my average speed and mileage up. Can anyone help with this. Thank you ECB1
Old 08-15-09, 09:45 AM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drafting is beneficial for you because you dont have to ride with the wind, therefor you do less of the work the rider in front of you does. The ideal place to be is in the middle. Thats what i've learned. I dont ride in packs, so I would'nt know. But just have fun.
Old 08-15-09, 09:47 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
If you see people in your group ride doing it, ask them if they can help teach you.

I'd be sure to help out someone during a group ride and explain things so they can learn.

You'll start out by following a little too far behind, but you'll get closer to the rear wheel as your techniques and skill set improve.
Old 08-15-09, 10:32 AM
Kneez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
One bit of advice I found useful is: don't stare at the rear wheel of the bike in front of you. Look at the seat post or some other stationary part instead. If you stare at the wheel, or the pavement going by, you get sort of hypnotized and end up drifting off the road or into the guy/gal in front of you. Havin done that on more than one occasion back in the day, I can tell you it's no fun.
Old 08-15-09, 02:13 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned that while learning to draft you should always stay in the back of the pack. Do not move up during the change of the lead. Also, learn how to remove your water bottle and drink without slowing substantially.
Old 08-15-09, 02:21 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Also, learn how to remove your water bottle and drink without slowing substantially.
You should also be able to do this while keeping your head up (not looking at cage) and keep a straight line.
Old 08-15-09, 02:25 PM
Dheorl

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also heard that when starting out, having your front wheel slightly to the left or right of the guy infront is a good idea (still the same distance behind as you would normally). Just gives you a bit more room for error.
Old 08-15-09, 02:27 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECB1
I am new to group riding and a heavy man, I want to move up to the next level in our club rides but I don't know anything about drafting or if it will help bring my average speed and mileage up. Can anyone help with this. Thank you ECB1
Personally, I think if you're new to group riding and the group is already faster and used to riding the longer distances you'd like to achieve, that just by riding with them you'll be motivated to ride harder and faster so you don't get dropped. When you're used to riding their pace, then work on your drafting.

Hang in there and have fun!
Old 08-15-09, 04:46 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kneez
One bit of advice I found useful is: don't stare at the rear wheel of the bike in front of you. Look at the seat post or some other stationary part instead. If you stare at the wheel, or the pavement going by, you get sort of hypnotized and end up drifting off the road or into the guy/gal in front of you. Havin done that on more than one occasion back in the day, I can tell you it's no fun.

DON'T DO THIS.

Your looking down and can't see up the road.

Look up the road to plan your movements, if someone ahead is moving to avoid a hole or pointing out road debris. Try to stay as close as comfortably possible to the rider in fronts rear wheel without overlapping. You still have drafting at 3 feet but closer the better. Move slightly off to the side if there is a cross wind.
Old 08-15-09, 04:54 PM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clausen
DON'T DO THIS.

Look up the road to plan your movements, if someone ahead is moving to avoid a hole or pointing out road debris. Try to stay as close as comfortably possible to the rider in fronts rear wheel without overlapping. You still have drafting at 3 feet but closer the better. Move slightly off to the side if there is a cross wind.
Thank you! Please stop staring at my ass.
Old 08-15-09, 05:02 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=200479
Old 08-15-09, 05:10 PM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should seriously consider the "DRAFT PRO"- patent pending. As featured in numerous cycling publications. A growing group of talented riders are using the draft pro to help them conserve valuable energy in races and the hometown club peloton. May not be UCI legal. The concept is simple. Look at the DRAFT Pro meter (er red thread) and see if it is fluttering or flying straight back. Make adjustments, (left right for and aft) depending on what the meter tells you. Heck you don't even have to look at the wheel in front of you. Just pay attention to the DRAFT PRO. It acts like a laser in the dark. What better way to learn drafting for a new person than to start with what the Pros are using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Draft Pro proto - Copy.jpg (95.9 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-15-09, 05:24 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by curtwally
Look at the DRAFT Pro meter (er red thread) and see if it is fluttering or flying straight back. Make adjustments, (left right for and aft) depending on what the meter tells you. Heck you don't even have to look at the wheel in front of you. Just pay attention to the DRAFT PRO. It acts like a laser in the dark. What better way to learn drafting for a new person than to start with what the Pros are using.
I thought two or three of the other posters before you just got done telling the OP not to stare at the wheel of the bike in front, so you're suggesting the OP stares at a meter? How about letting the OP watch the road and glance at the wheel of the bike in front and save the money from the meter for some new tires.
Old 08-15-09, 05:24 PM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, a bit more of a serious reply.

There are a number of other good suggestions already. I like the one of staying at the back for your first group rides. Observe how they are riding. See what communications they give concerning upcoming stop signs, obstacles such as potholes and bumps. A club ride peloton ( not like in races) generally works together to help conserve energy so that the group can rider faster than a single rider. The group should be very smooth with gentle accelerations to avoid a yo-yo effect. And as a rider you should be very smooth as well and keep peddling most of the time. There is nothing more detrimental to the group than speed up/ slow down. This will cause riders to cross wheels and when that happens crashes can occur. I would say that most injuries from group rides are caused by crossed wheels. (overlapping wheels). Should you overlap let the person know you are in an unsafe position until you fall back a bit. ("I'm on your right".) ("Clear"). Communication is a great thing for safety. Now some club rides are not totally "hugs and kisses". Our club has a Tues night Hammerfest and this is still designed to be safe but at various points in the ride if you want to be Lance for the night well then have at it and go off the front. Other people will try to hang with you and may bust your butt as well. This, in our club, is kept as a fun friendly exercise and we all try to finish together. Ah... how does this relate to drafting. As you get stronger you will not which riders are also stronger. You want to draft these people who will not let a gap open up in the drafting peloton. It takes a lot of energy to close down a gap that has opened up in these types of rides. So when you ride with a new group ask what kind of ride this will be. Not good start learning drafting on a Hammerfest type night.
Good luck and enjoy group rides. They are fun.
Old 08-15-09, 05:34 PM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes as Rocobike mentions, you should be looking ahead to see what is happening. What would cause someone to slow or brake in front of you is what you need to know. Your periperhal vision can see the wheel in front. If you stare at that wheel you will not be able to anticipate what is happening up front. So DO NOT be looking at the wheel in front. Look ahead and around riders in front.
Old 08-15-09, 05:42 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I highly recommend searching BF for previous threads on drafting. This has been discussed at length with some very good information. The search function is a very good tool.
Old 08-16-09, 02:05 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's some reading material on the subject.
Old 08-16-09, 03:01 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curtwally
Ok, a bit more of a serious reply.

There are a number of other good suggestions already. I like the one of staying at the back for your first group rides. Observe how they are riding. See what communications they give concerning upcoming stop signs, obstacles such as potholes and bumps. A club ride peloton ( not like in races) generally works together to help conserve energy so that the group can rider faster than a single rider. The group should be very smooth with gentle accelerations to avoid a yo-yo effect. And as a rider you should be very smooth as well and keep peddling most of the time. There is nothing more detrimental to the group than speed up/ slow down. This will cause riders to cross wheels and when that happens crashes can occur. I would say that most injuries from group rides are caused by crossed wheels. (overlapping wheels). Should you overlap let the person know you are in an unsafe position until you fall back a bit. ("I'm on your right".) ("Clear"). Communication is a great thing for safety. Now some club rides are not totally "hugs and kisses". Our club has a Tues night Hammerfest and this is still designed to be safe but at various points in the ride if you want to be Lance for the night well then have at it and go off the front. Other people will try to hang with you and may bust your butt as well. This, in our club, is kept as a fun friendly exercise and we all try to finish together. Ah... how does this relate to drafting. As you get stronger you will not which riders are also stronger. You want to draft these people who will not let a gap open up in the drafting peloton. It takes a lot of energy to close down a gap that has opened up in these types of rides. So when you ride with a new group ask what kind of ride this will be. Not good start learning drafting on a Hammerfest type night.
Good luck and enjoy group rides. They are fun.
This is my pet peeeeeeeev in groups! Coasting on flat terrain is like brake lights on a car. As a junior I was taught to keep pedaling EVEN WHEN COASTING!!!!!, unless you are braking to slow significantly or stopping. If you need to back off the wheel in front of you, you should stop applying pressure to the pedals while keeping your rpm's close to the same, AKA floating. IF you need to use the brakes, feather them while pedaling. When done properly, the rider behind you will not even know you moved back. You will be smooth.

That and riders that close a gap, then coast and slam the brakes as they come up on the wheel. Riding the track will cure you of this real quick. When approaching a wheel you need to float or pedal lightly as you feather the brakes. This keeps the riders behind you from bunching up. Smoothness!
Old 08-16-09, 03:03 PM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started group rides that draft a few months ago and some of the more experienced have given me a couple of great pointers. One is not to be afraid to get good and close to the rider in front. For a newbie this is easier said then done but hanging back 4 to 5 feet in a comfort zone is contrary to the purpose of the paceline so get yourself up there.I can get to about 18 inches now but Im still not comfortable with the foot or so where I should be. Next pay attention and if the group speeds up do your best to stay with them for if a gap opens due to you those behind you are not going to be happy, if your lucky maybe one will take you up . If you were last youll be riding solo unless someone in the group feels sorry for you.When it comes time to take the front DO NOT accelerate any faster than the group was riding, nor should you speed up and coast. If the group was riding at 20 mph try to keep it that way.As a newbie leave your earplugs ipod cel phone etc home. And if its obvious that you cant keep up with the group on hills etc. see if theres one more your skill level or plan on losong some weight this winter.
Old 08-16-09, 03:51 PM
Kneez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
DON'T DO THIS.

I can't deny that what you say makes sense. I will take it into consideration.

I didn't know that there was still benefit three feet back. I usually have to be in very close, like within a foot, to feel much of anything, possibly becuase I seem to be taller than most other cyclists.

At any rate, I rarely ride with others these days, which is probably better for all involved, but if I do I will certainly keep your advice in mind.
Old 08-16-09, 05:03 PM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kneez
I didn't know that there was still benefit three feet back. I usually have to be in very close, like within a foot, to feel much of anything, possibly becuase I seem to be taller than most other cyclists.
As a fellow tall rider, I feel exactly what you feel. I can't suck a draft off of anyone that's shorter than 6'.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.