Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Century nutrition

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Century nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 01:18 AM
Chuffed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Century nutrition

Having struggled to complete my first century I'm looking to ensure this coming weekend's is a little easier. I don't have an issue with rides around 60 miles.

Last time the evening before the ride I have a large bowl of pasta, breakfast was a large bowel of porridge with a tablespoon of honey, a glass of fresh orange juice, a muffin and a mug of freshly ground coffee.

During the ride I had 3 x 500ml of water, 500ml energy drink, a can of Pepsi, an energy bar, a banana and a further 2 muffins.

Did I struggle to complete the century because I need more/different food/drink or was it because it was my first 100miles?
Old 08-17-10, 02:06 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You didn't mention how long the ride took you, but if you struggled to complete it I'm assuming it took more than six hours. If that is the case, I think you should look at how much you are drinking as well as eating. Four bottles of liquid plus a can of pepsi would be a bare minimum for me going hard for 100 miles, and lots of people go through a bottle an hour. YMMV, but dehydration is a very common cause of feeling fatigued and starting to struggle.

I'd also be inclined to take in a few more calories. You might do this by replacing some of the plain water with sports drink. This works, but personally I think they're pretty disgusting and I usually go with plain water and solid food. Bananas are good - loads of potassium. Flapjacks are great, complex carbs and quickly-available sugars. If you want to be scientific about it, you can absorb a maximum of between 60 and 90 grams of carbs per hour, so there's no point in eating more than that. For reference, a 200gram banana will contain about 45 grams of carbs.

And start eating early in the ride. Don't allow your blood sugar to fall before you begin to eat.
Old 08-17-10, 03:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When you ride more than about 2 hours, aim to consume about 200-300 calories per hour, depending on exertion, fitness level, etc. (i.e. more exertion may require more calories, better fitness level may require fewer calories). You calories can come from liquid (i.e. coke, Ensure, etc.) or from solid food (i.e. energy bars, fruit, salted almonds, beef jerky, potato chips, sandwiches, etc.)

As far as liquid goes, aim to consume one 750 ml bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours ... or more if the weather is particularly hot or windy. If you do drink more, be sure to consume electrolytes as well.

Try that and see if your century goes a bit better.
Old 08-17-10, 05:42 AM
Chuffed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You didn't mention how long the ride took you, but if you struggled to complete it I'm assuming it took more than six hours. If that is the case, I think you should look at how much you are drinking as well as eating. Four bottles of liquid plus a can of pepsi would be a bare minimum for me going hard for 100 miles, and lots of people go through a bottle an hour. YMMV, but dehydration is a very common cause of feeling fatigued and starting to struggle.
According to my Garmin it was total moving time of 5:44 average of 17.6mph. Now you mention it I did think I needed more to drink while cycling and was making the water last. Have found the taste of ZipVit OK so might brink more of that. And I will eat earlier, Thx
Old 08-17-10, 05:43 AM
Chuffed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
As far as liquid goes, aim to consume one 750 ml bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours ... or more if the weather is particularly hot or windy. If you do drink more, be sure to consume electrolytes as well.

Try that and see if your century goes a bit better.
Excellent will defo try that
Old 08-17-10, 06:42 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuffed
According to my Garmin it was total moving time of 5:44 average of 17.6mph. Now you mention it I did think I needed more to drink while cycling and was making the water last. Have found the taste of ZipVit OK so might brink more of that. And I will eat earlier, Thx
LOL. If you've done your first century at an average speed of almost 18mph I don't think you can be said to have "struggled" by the standards of most newbies. My guess is that if you get a bit more systematic about food and drink you'll have no trouble with the next one.