Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Adding an extra water bottle cage to a bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-07-19, 09:18 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

Vintage bikes typically either have no braze ons and rely on clamps for a water bottle cage or have braze ons for one water bottle cage. A second cage is a big deal on a long ride. I'm curious how some of you have added extra water bottle cages.

The most straightforward (and very old school) is to add water bottle cages to the handlebars. This elite "eroica" handlebar cage looks cool but some of the reviewers don't think it works that well

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-0156001...language=en_US

Also bike packers (light weight offroad touring) have some pretty good solutions as well.

Here is a webpage showing some of those solutions:

https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

I like the idea of a bag that can hold a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle and attaches underneath the downtube. Other possibilities include fork mounted bags and water bottle mounts for the saddle.

Obviously the easiest solution is a hydration bag but I'm looking for other options. So what have you used to add extra water bottle cages to your old bike and how well has that worked?
Old 09-07-19, 09:32 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
My oldest Trek has no bosses. Went with the clamp on adapters from Velo Orange. I’m too thirsty of a person to not have water.

Old 09-07-19, 09:32 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Almost done building a bike which will see long miles, and occasional camping. It’s a mid 70’s frame with one set of braze ons for a cage like you mentioned. Downtube of course.

So, this question has been on my mind as well. My thought so far has been to fit the largest bottle I can in the cage, and to carry two extra ~16oz bottles, one in each front pannier.

Looking forward to checking those links out, and to read the comments here to find out what others are doing to meet their hydration needs on the road.

— — —

@natterberry gorgeous Trek btw
Old 09-07-19, 09:35 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by natterberry
My oldest Trek has no bosses. Went with the clamp on adapters from Velo Orange. I’m too thirsty of a person to not have water.
Beautiful bike but that's only 1 water bottle cage. I'm interested in how to add a 2d cage. You could add a cage to the seat tube but that's less than ideal in some ways as you lose a great place for the pump.

What get me thinking about this is that I've been riding my early 70s Fuji Finest a fair bit and I'd like to do some longer events with it. Like your bike, I have one water bottle cage on the downtube and I run my pump on the seat tube.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-07-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 09:41 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Use the same VO clamps and mount under the front tube.

Or ride vintage and then drink vintage, people were not constantly hydrating with camel packs and sports drinks and some how managed to survive but with one (on none) water bottles.
Old 09-07-19, 09:42 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 172 Posts
A pair of DMR Hinged Clamps. Rock solid.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 09-07-19, 09:42 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Almost done building a bike which will see long miles, and occasional camping. It’s a mid 70’s frame with one set of braze ons for a cage like you mentioned. Downtube of course.

So, this question has been on my mind as well. My thought so far has been to fit the largest bottle I can in the cage, and to carry two extra ~16oz bottles, one in each front pannier.

Looking forward to checking those links out, and to read the comments here to find out what others are doing to meet their hydration needs on the road.

— — —

@natterberry gorgeous Trek btw
Adding bags to a pannier is definitely a great way to add more water capacity but I'd go bigger than 16 ounces. Why not use a 32 ounce Nalgene or something similar? If running a large enough saddle bag (say a Carradice for example), an extra Nalgene could go there. With a one liter zefal water bottle on the downtube, you're talking about 64 ounces and that's pretty decent.
Old 09-07-19, 09:43 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
A pair of DMR Hinged Clamps. Rock solid.

I'd rather not lose the seat tube for my pump but good to know those are rock solid. Most of the old school clamps for water bottle cages are not that solid. I may get one of these for my down tube just for that reason,
Old 09-07-19, 09:47 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Use the same VO clamps and mount under the front tube.

Or ride vintage and then drink vintage, people were not constantly hydrating with camel packs and sports drinks and some how managed to survive but with one (on none) water bottles.
I remember those days well. I managed to do a lot of rides in hot muggy weather (I grew up and did a lot of riding in southern Louisiana) with one 16 ounce bottle on the downtube and another in my jersey pocket. I love C&V bikes but I'm ready to move on to "modern" ideas when it comes to hydration,

Yeah the DMR clamps referenced earlier might be perfect for mounting a second water bottle under the down tube. They're on wiggle but not Amazon US.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-07-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 10:06 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
This page has been around awhile and some options may no longer be available

Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles without Braze
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-07-19, 10:27 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Beautiful bike but that's only 1 water bottle cage. I'm interested in how to add a 2d cage. You could add a cage to the seat tube but that's less than ideal in some ways as you lose a great place for the pump.

What get me thinking about this is that I've been riding my early 70s Fuji Finest a fair bit and I'd like to do some longer events with it. Like your bike, I have one water bottle cage on the downtube and I run my pump on the seat tube.
Right. Same goal. I had no cages, and needed to add one. More showing how I added a mount.
Old 09-07-19, 10:34 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
I have the same issue with the Superior. I'm doing a century (tomorrow!) and definitely need two bottles. I'm not crazy about bar mount bottles and I use the seat tube for mounting a pump, so I was able to find an option that mounts to the seatpost. This works in my situation because my fit has a lot of post to work with. Might work with less post if you use a regular bottle.

The bottle tucks in nice under the saddle and doesn't interfere with my pedal stoke or the brake cables. I can't tell it's there. The construction is all aluminum and seems sturdy enough. $8 shipped.

I was considering a dual cage set up, but it's pricey and doesn't look well made.

Old 09-07-19, 10:39 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Unless you had some custom super fancy frame, all water bottles were attached with straps until the end of the 70s. Almost all water bottle cages were TA. The straps to hold them on came with them, and were once a ubiquitous bike shop item. VO is the only place that still sells them. FWIW that's the historically correct way to do it. The standard move if adding a second cage was to put it on the seat tube. The frame pump then was moved to the top tube, or sometimes behind the seat tube if there was room. Top tube pump location requires a pip or umbrella clip, and a velcro strap for safety.

Anyhow, BITD, that's what I would do on a really hot day. Strap on a second bottle to the seat tube. Move the pump.

Moving to the modern day, most bottle cages won't even work with the old style straps. If working with a vintage bike, King sells those modded band clamps that should do the trick. I think the seat tube is still the best place for a second bottle. Handlebar cages are a viable option. Weight on the bars does slightly effect handling. If you've got a handlebar bag anyway, you could put a bottle in there. My modern classic bikes have dual cage braze ons. DT and ST. For camping, I'll take a couple Nalgene 32oz bottles and stuff 'em into my panniers. FWIW they fit into the pocket of Carradice Kendals. There's also those modern bladder things. Probably a good idea.

Which reminds me, when touring circa the early to mid 80s, standard configuration for me at least was: downtube tube bottle, seat tube bottle (w straps), and a bota bag for extra water. Yep, good old bota bags. Flexible hydration reservoir long before their time...
Old 09-07-19, 11:00 AM
2wheeljonz 

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Titanium, AX, '74 Raleigh International, Velo Orange Randonneur, Trek 7600, Fuji Touring Series V, DeRosa, Miami Vice Ironman, Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts
I'd rather not lose the seat tube for my pump but good to know those are rock solid. Most of the old school clamps for water bottle cages are not that solid. I may get one of these for my down tube just for that reason,
i have those clamps on the seat tube of my International. They are rock solid. However, keep in mind that on the downtube, the hinge and closure get in the way of the shifter cables.
DAMHIK
Likes For 2wheeljonz:
Old 09-07-19, 11:36 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Sometimes the pump can be positioned between the rear q/r lever (pointed toward the saddle) and the seat cluster. That’s what I do on my Ross (which has cage mounting points on both dt and st) and never a problem. I did have to notch the fender a bit for clearance.
Old 09-07-19, 02:17 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Unless you had some custom super fancy frame, all water bottles were attached with straps until the end of the 70s. Almost all water bottle cages were TA. The straps to hold them on came with them, and were once a ubiquitous bike shop item. VO is the only place that still sells them. FWIW that's the historically correct way to do it. The standard move if adding a second cage was to put it on the seat tube. The frame pump then was moved to the top tube, or sometimes behind the seat tube if there was room. Top tube pump location requires a pip or umbrella clip, and a velcro strap for safety.

Anyhow, BITD, that's what I would do on a really hot day. Strap on a second bottle to the seat tube. Move the pump.

Moving to the modern day, most bottle cages won't even work with the old style straps. If working with a vintage bike, King sells those modded band clamps that should do the trick. I think the seat tube is still the best place for a second bottle. Handlebar cages are a viable option. Weight on the bars does slightly effect handling. If you've got a handlebar bag anyway, you could put a bottle in there. My modern classic bikes have dual cage braze ons. DT and ST. For camping, I'll take a couple Nalgene 32oz bottles and stuff 'em into my panniers. FWIW they fit into the pocket of Carradice Kendals. There's also those modern bladder things. Probably a good idea.

Which reminds me, when touring circa the early to mid 80s, standard configuration for me at least was: downtube tube bottle, seat tube bottle (w straps), and a bota bag for extra water. Yep, good old bota bags. Flexible hydration reservoir long before their time...
Your're talking about these from King, right?

https://www.benscycle.com/King-Cage-Universal-Support-Bolt/Water_Bottle_Cage_Hardware_KingCage_SupportBolt_584/Product?ad_id=MAgoogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfTLoPAgIT1DgsopxmDqVYizeJHWwaaFuiOU0CNIOIPnWvO Qh9zGglEaArzsEALw_wcB

These are very clever but pricey at $6 each. They look very solid. They look like a modded hose clamp and they do look like they'll hold a water bottle cage securely. I would trust these under the down tube or on the seat tube.

I agree by the way. The combo of a modern water bottle cage with the old school clamps is often not a solid one which is why I started this thread.

VO clamps are a heck of a lot cheaper at $3 for a pair but the VO site says they do not work with VO water bottle cages. Huh?

That's too bad because I like VO cages and I'm running one on my Fuji with an old school clamp. It is working but it was a pain to get on and the clamps are not holding as well as they might.

https://velo-orange.com/products/bottle-cage-clamp

Last edited by bikemig; 09-07-19 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 02:30 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I wouldn't put those King Cage hose clamps on anything but a gas pipe beater. I am going to a set of those hinged clamps mentioned above
Old 09-07-19, 02:34 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I wouldn't put those King Cage hose clamps on anything but a gas pipe beater. I am going to a set of those hinged clamps mentioned above
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-07-19, 02:38 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
I added a second cage with a Zefal Gizmo kit (available from Amazon, like just about everything), and switched to a Lezyne Road Drive pump (largest size) with it’s clamp secured under the original DT bottle cage. Black tape under the Gizmo straps to protect the nice black Miyata finish on the ST. Very happy with both for years, and I’ve used that pump for several road side flat fixes with no complaints. BTW, the available Lezyne pressure gauge, which replaces the normal hose for this pump, works quite well.

Likes For Dfrost:
Old 09-07-19, 02:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
There are those fantastic Rivnuts that are great for adding a second (or third) water bottle location to a bicycle. All you need to do is carefully drill two holes the size the Rivnuts are, insert the Rivnut into the hole and the tighten the Rivnut with a (usually M5) long bolt with a nut on it. The bolt is threaded into the Rivnut so that the bolt extends beyond the Rivnut in the frame and then the nut on the bolt is tightened against the Rivnut and crushes it inside the frame in a manner very similar to how a Pop-Rivet works. I thread the bolt onto the Rivnut BEFORE pushing the Rivnut into the hole. I've used Rivnuts on a number of bicycle frames and find them very secure. Whats great about Rivnuts is that they are flush against the frame when installed and they look a lot like a brazed-on bottle mount.

Cheers
Old 09-07-19, 02:58 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Dfrost
I added a second cage with a Zefal Gizmo kit (available from Amazon, like just about everything), and switched to a Lezyne Road Drive pump (largest size) with it’s clamp secured under the original DT bottle cage. Black tape under the Gizmo straps to protect the nice black Miyata finish on the ST. Very happy with both for years, and I’ve used that pump for several road side flat fixes with no complaints. BTW, the available Lezyne pressure gauge, which replaces the normal hose for this pump, works quite well.
Looks like a very clean job. Is that attached with zip ties? It's good to know it doesn't move on you. I have a pump mount for a topeak pump that attaches with zip ties; great pump but the mount does move around.
Old 09-07-19, 03:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
I use a couple of Minoura handle mounts, both singles and at least one double.

I have some Bell Sports mounts like this but they are not the best.

I have one of these Zefal sets somewhere. They work OK but the rubber shims I used under them left marks on my frame after a year or so.

Here is one of the inexpensive Bell mounts in action

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-07-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 04:45 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Wolftooth makes a side by side adaptor, but it's rather spendy.
Old 09-07-19, 05:10 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Looks like a very clean job. Is that attached with zip ties? It's good to know it doesn't move on you. I have a pump mount for a topeak pump that attaches with zip ties; great pump but the mount does move around.
Those aren’t exactly zip-ties (and I had the same problem trying to use a zip-tie as a pump peg). The Zefal Gizmo straps are part of the kit, and are tightened quite securely as the bottle cage screws are tightened.
@Bianchigirll’s last photo above is just like mine. Read the first review to get a better idea how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Gizmo-B...ustomerReviews

And I see that there’s an updated version that uses two straps/screw:

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Gizmo-I...ustomerReviews
Old 09-07-19, 05:47 PM
bikemig 

In addition to that Zefal, there are plastic type mounts from topeak and SKS that look pretty good as well. The SKS comes with a cage:

https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Germany-1...g%2C156&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Versa-...0GFJ37ZSVXWNW6

And here's a review of the topeak:

https://road.cc/content/review/243199-topeak-versamount

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.