Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 10-22-19, 01:24 PM
  #7451  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 26,365
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
You're sending him this bike, right?
Took the IM out for his first "outside the comfort zone" ride Sunday, 26-ish miles out-and-back on the Badger trail. Here he is at the stop where the paved section of the trail ends.

Def needs a shorter reach stem.
Second red/white Ironman to grace that exact spot.
Rode mine in from Riley's Tavern and we went over to Monona Terrace for brats and beer, since it was already 10 am.
__________________

I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 03:19 PM
  #7452  
fleslider 
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Thats @fleslider @seypat , I wonder how that Zunow is fairing ?
The Zunow/Ironman is going slow, life has stepped in and kept me busy. I was going through the Dura Ace groupset and doing some cleaning and lubing (they are great shape already but need that detail.. thanks @RobbieTunes )

Still need to find a Dura Ace stem for it, I havent been actively looking for one though.. like i said life has kept me busy.

getting the frame cleaned up and the rust spots cleaned. The frame has a spot in my living room. so I see it everyday!



Zunow Hummingbird After some rust cleanup with the fiberglass pen
fleslider is offline  
Likes For fleslider:
Old 10-22-19, 03:26 PM
  #7453  
fleslider 
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
Man I want that lavender/silver bike! I have been salivating over it for a while now. I have the the blue marble Prestige hanging from the ceiling over my head right now. The lavender one I like more though for sure. I think that came with a Dura Ace gruppo. I have never seen one for sale anywhere. Has anyone ever seen one actually for sale??? Does anyone on Bike Forums actually have one? I have seen more of the blue marbles but they are kinda rare. Makes sense as the price was quite high at the time. I just found out that my vintage Paletti TT originally sold for over 10, 000 dollars if you wanted to import it from Italy to Japan. I digress.
I have done alot of research on that bike , and i cannot find any picture of it except for the catalog picture i have on the vintage-centurion site. If any one has one please let me know.



The bike in question 1986 Prestige
fleslider is offline  
Likes For fleslider:
Old 10-22-19, 04:40 PM
  #7454  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,989
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
The Zunow/Ironman is going slow, life has stepped in and kept me busy. I was going through the Dura Ace groupset and doing some cleaning and lubing (they are great shape already but need that detail.. thanks @RobbieTunes )

Still need to find a Dura Ace stem for it, I havent been actively looking for one though.. like i said life has kept me busy.

getting the frame cleaned up and the rust spots cleaned. The frame has a spot in my living room. so I see it everyday!



Zunow Hummingbird After some rust cleanup with the fiberglass pen
It that paint, an etching, decal, what? Whatever it is, it is SWEET!
seypat is online now  
Old 10-22-19, 05:57 PM
  #7455  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 26,365
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 595 Posts
I've never seen an '86. I owned an '85, which was also Prestige, with chromed fork crown and feet, chromed seat stay caps, R chain stay, and dropouts. It had the elder font, and was an elegant beauty, in dark grey metallic with burgundy shading on "hollow" lettering in the joined font.

It came with DA 2x6 indexed, and was DA front-rear, including BB and hubs. The seller offered it to me, complete, for $800, as he planned to part out the entire bike. He did, as I only bought f/f/hs, then put tricolor on it.

It was a 54cm, and I overcompensated for the perceived "short" frame with a too-long stem and kissed it goodbye because "I couldn't get use to it."

I think about how that would have looked with a set of polished tubular rims laced to those same hubs, with the OEM DA 7400 group. Sitting next to my Comp TA with polished Superbe Pro. Yep, I'm a dumb-ass. Red Foreman would have kicked me into oblivion.

I'm not sure how I'd have liked the lavender/pearl 1986 model, as I was sort of hung up on the chrome and elegance that died out on the '84/'85 models across the board.

Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
I have done alot of research on that bike , and i cannot find any picture of it except for the catalog picture i have on the vintage-centurion site. If any one has one please let me know.



The bike in question 1986 Prestige
__________________

I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 06:09 PM
  #7456  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 26,365
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 595 Posts
Test ride quiet and smooth.
My butt was oohing and aahing on that saddle.

Will swap the bag for black.
The Gadsden flag can evoke hate from certain folks.
Besides, I need a yellow bag for my Look, and I like a good fight.

Box picked up today. Ironman Empire gains a racer.
When the MV gets to me, a new round of fun begins.
Clean slate, baby!

2x10 DA/105 mix with VeloMax Circuit hoops. Terry saddle.
Mr. Tribiker19 better be careful. A woman on this bike means business.

@Tribiker19's ride.
__________________

I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-22-19 at 06:15 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-22-19, 06:35 PM
  #7457  
VintageTTfan
Senior Member
 
VintageTTfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
I have done alot of research on that bike , and i cannot find any picture of it except for the catalog picture i have on the vintage-centurion site. If any one has one please let me know.



The bike in question 1986 Prestige
I want that bicycle badly. I mean badly. What did your research reveal?
VintageTTfan is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 08:01 PM
  #7458  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,816

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
I have done alot of research on that bike , and i cannot find any picture of it except for the catalog picture i have on the vintage-centurion site. If any one has one please let me know.



The bike in question 1986 Prestige
I think I have a pic of a female pro Triathlete on that bike. I'll have to check for you.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 08:03 PM
  #7459  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Test ride quiet and smooth.
My butt was oohing and aahing on that saddle.

Will swap the bag for black.
The Gadsden flag can evoke hate from certain folks.
Besides, I need a yellow bag for my Look, and I like a good fight.

Box picked up today. Ironman Empire gains a racer.
When the MV gets to me, a new round of fun begins.
Clean slate, baby!

2x10 DA/105 mix with VeloMax Circuit hoops. Terry saddle.
Mr. Tribiker19 better be careful. A woman on this bike means business.

@Tribiker19's ride.
That tape [[drool]]....

And indeed, the white, to smoke, transitioning to black rims/tires, it's poetry (soon to be in motion).
madpogue is online now  
Old 10-23-19, 07:25 AM
  #7460  
fleslider 
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
It that paint, an etching, decal, what? Whatever it is, it is SWEET!
Its cast into the lug, in the late 70's Kageyama who started Zunow started having lugs custom made for his bikes.

here is the other side of the fork hummingbird on how it should look. (it still needs to be repainted in though)
fleslider is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:26 AM
  #7461  
fleslider 
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
I think I have a pic of a female pro Triathlete on that bike. I'll have to check for you.
Awesome let me know, Thanks Tex!
fleslider is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:29 AM
  #7462  
fleslider 
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
I want that bicycle badly. I mean badly. What did your research reveal?
Not much, other than whats in the catalog. i have not found anything on it. there is no pictures of ones out in the wild. it might be interesting to see how many if any were built.
fleslider is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 09:17 AM
  #7463  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,989
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
Its cast into the lug, in the late 70's Kageyama who started Zunow started having lugs custom made for his bikes.

here is the other side of the fork hummingbird on how it should look. (it still needs to be repainted in though)
I'd be tempted to have someone go full Bob Ross there and "paint me some happy little hummingbirds!"
seypat is online now  
Old 10-23-19, 04:22 PM
  #7464  
Vintage_Cyclist
Senior Member
 
Vintage_Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Big Apple
Posts: 1,334

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
New Old Stock Centurion Bikes
Vintage_Cyclist is offline  
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 10-23-19, 04:31 PM
  #7465  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 433 Posts
^^^^^ Entire thread has heart attack.....

I see four Experts and two Masters. Hmm, travel time from NH to RI........
madpogue is online now  
Old 10-23-19, 05:37 PM
  #7466  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,989
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I've never seen an '86. I owned an '85, which was also Prestige, with chromed fork crown and feet, chromed seat stay caps, R chain stay, and dropouts. It had the elder font, and was an elegant beauty, in dark grey metallic with burgundy shading on "hollow" lettering in the joined font.

It came with DA 2x6 indexed, and was DA front-rear, including BB and hubs. The seller offered it to me, complete, for $800, as he planned to part out the entire bike. He did, as I only bought f/f/hs, then put tricolor on it.

It was a 54cm, and I overcompensated for the perceived "short" frame with a too-long stem and kissed it goodbye because "I couldn't get use to it."

I think about how that would have looked with a set of polished tubular rims laced to those same hubs, with the OEM DA 7400 group. Sitting next to my Comp TA with polished Superbe Pro. Yep, I'm a dumb-ass. Red Foreman would have kicked me into oblivion.

I'm not sure how I'd have liked the lavender/pearl 1986 model, as I was sort of hung up on the chrome and elegance that died out on the '84/'85 models across the board.
The picture in the catalog of the 85 prestige looks(to me) like a dark teal green/blue and silver combo. That would have been a really nice looking bike. It was kind of a letdown when I found out it was Anthracite and Silver. I can't tell if the 86 had a chrome fork or not. I do like the 85 decals more.
seypat is online now  
Old 10-23-19, 05:39 PM
  #7467  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 481

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Entire thread has heart attack.....

I see four Experts and two Masters. Hmm, travel time from NH to RI........

Am I going on a journey? My drive time is 1:38 to Providence.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 05:53 PM
  #7468  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 26,365
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
Am I going on a journey? My drive time is 1:38 to Providence.
I am game for the 54cm. It would, of course, stay in the box.

However, I am reluctant to fork over $850 for what could be a picture of boxes.
I'm more than willing to send someone $850 to go pick it up, but not lay out the money for a box, even with PayPal protection.

For that kind of risk, I'm willing to see it go elsewhere.
I understand there are risks on the other side, as well.

So confused. Especially with a green one there. Those are gorgeous.
__________________

I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-23-19 at 06:01 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 05:58 PM
  #7469  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 481

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I am game for the 54cm.
Buy it and I'll go for a drive. Then we could figure out if I need additional packaging for it before I send.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 06:13 PM
  #7470  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 433 Posts
Oh snap, one of the Masters is a Magenta ('88?) 56.... Nothing I can do until next week anyway. Kinda hoping it'll be gone by then.
madpogue is online now  
Old 10-23-19, 06:18 PM
  #7471  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 481

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Oh snap, one of the Masters is a Magenta ('88?) 56.... Nothing I can do until next week anyway. Kinda hoping it'll be gone by then.
I owe you a favor, too. Just let me know.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:27 PM
  #7472  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,787

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 91 Times in 57 Posts
I was close to Providence last week. And I know a guy who knows some guys.....just say'n.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:32 PM
  #7473  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 481

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by top506 View Post
I was close to Providence last week. And I know a guy who knows some guys.....just say'n.
Are you ever home?
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:43 PM
  #7474  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,269

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts
wow. i used to live in providence... I regret the move. btw, NH to Providence is very quick. you don't know how good you have it over there once you come west and states are HUGE.

I recall this happening once before... maybe 10 years ago?. when a bunch of NOS Lemans frames in boxes suddenly came up.-

I suspect its real only because its more plausible to have a bunch of boxes with bikes in them than a bunch of boxes without. No one would have stored the boxes for so long if there were nothing inside.

if there is some action on this and we do a group buy put me down for the the Magenta IM 62cm (which by my IM tape is really a 61)

Edit: note it is 14 speed!

Last edited by jetboy; 10-23-19 at 07:47 PM.
jetboy is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:48 PM
  #7475  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,787

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 91 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
Are you ever home?
Home is where you hang your hat....or dig your hole....or where the bartender puts your drink on the bar before you close the door behind you.
I fed the cats tonight, so I guess I'm home for a while.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.