Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Is LWB recumbent popularity dying? I posted my recumbent for sale and not 1 reply

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Is LWB recumbent popularity dying? I posted my recumbent for sale and not 1 reply

Old 12-05-19, 09:26 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
As far as test riding, no one gets to ride my personal bikes. And of course there is the now famous story of the guy who test rode a $5,000 bike at a shop and didn't come back.
That happens occasionally. Shops have insurance. Plus, if they don't know you they'll usually want a driver's license to hold as a 'security deposit.' If you don't come back, they know where to look for you.
Old 12-05-19, 09:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
That happens occasionally. Shops have insurance. Plus, if they don't know you they'll usually want a driver's license to hold as a 'security deposit.' If you don't come back, they know where to look for you.
Yeah, but shop insurance probably doesn't cover the owners' personal bikes.
Old 12-05-19, 10:11 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2705...ief-test-ride/
Old 12-06-19, 09:06 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Most people with balance problems opt for a trike. It has fewer negative impressions than using a set of training wheels and is probably more fun.
A lwb recumbent with stabilizer wheels may be just the ticket, just a bit of confidence, that will get people into lwb riding and may help move the huge backlog of lwbs for sale. And it is possible that eventually a much more expensive trike would be chosen.

Last edited by Lucillle; 12-06-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 02:03 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Apparently they DID ask for a DL. They ignored the warning sign that the person didn't look the age specified. The most expensive bike in the shop was $5000?
Old 12-09-19, 12:46 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've never been quite sure how useful training wheels are for kids (never had them when I was a kid).
The problem I see is that in riding a normal bicycle, you have to maintain a certain minimum speed to make turns, and you lean the bike into the turns. With a training-wheel setup or upright adult tricycle, you have to go very slow in the turns, keep the bike upright, and lean off the bike if desired. IE, it teaches you to do things opposite the way you'd normally be doing them. So they're not "training wheels", they're "anti-training wheels".
Old 12-09-19, 04:32 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

If one accepts that one is turning the cycle into a tricycle with the extra wheels, and is familiar with riding a trike, then all is well. If whatever one uses translates into more riding, then it is useful.
Old 12-12-19, 12:00 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
LWB and SWB recumbents are out of favor in my neck of the woods. The largest bicycle store we have in the area stopped carrying them years ago. However trikes seem to become more popular. I assume it is the balance issue. This is what I am hearing from a lot of folks. But I think many have not really tried long enough. Especially on the LWBs it is not such an issue as it is on SWBs
I mainly switched to recumbents a few years ago because of back issues and arthritis. Started with BikeEs, Lightning Phantom and just last weekend I scored a used Bacchetta Strada.
The BikeE is still my daily commuter bike. I thought about trikes but I don't find them convenient for our trails. Some of the trails are just not wide enough for trikes when you have to share the trail with joggers, people walking dogs and other cyclists. And there there are gates or narrow passages. On a two wheel recumbent I can ride trails which I cannot on a trike. At least in my area.

And since these type of bikes have fallen out of favor you can often make good deals on a used one. I don't care if the company is out of business. Most parts are generic bicycle parts.
Old 12-13-19, 11:26 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
Is LWB recumbent popularity dying?” In my area I’d say yes. The last Portland Sunday Parkways I did this year I saw the local recumbent club people I used to be a member of now are now riding recumbent trikes and all but one had E-assist as well. There must have been close to ten of them all together climbing the Broadway Bridge.
The OHPV gang got together last Sunday. There are a lot of folks who own both bikes and trikes. We're rarely this homogeneous:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 12-14-19, 07:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Six EasyRacers and a RANS?
Old 12-15-19, 11:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Six EasyRacers and a RANS?
It would have been 7 Easy Racers but mine broke last May. The Phoenix is its replacement.

Old 12-16-19, 08:25 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Jeff, which brand of fairing have you got on your new Phoenix, and what mounts are you using? Also I take it that’s a dynamo hub and lamp on your front wheel and fork, is that why you have the fairing raised high?

Thanks!

Last edited by andychrist; 12-16-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 07:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Yes, I knew the RANS was yours.
Old 12-16-19, 10:47 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by andychrist
Jeff, which brand of fairing have you got on your new Phoenix, and what mounts are you using? Also I take it that’s a dynamo hub and lamp on your front wheel and fork, is that why you have the fairing raised high?

Thanks!
The fairing bubble is a Zzipper salvaged from my Gold Rush. The mounts are a combination of TerraCycle quick-release hardware and Rose City Recumbents "antler" mounts. The fairing sits high because the Phoenix's seat is somewhat higher than the Gold Rush and I'm a long-torsoed 6-foot-4.

The bubble is really beat up. I was thinking of polishing it up but Lonnie (aka "Tha Capt.") convinced me that it's too much work and besides he's got a couple WindWrap factory seconds left over from a aborted project.

What I'd really like to find is someone who can paint polycarbonate fairings. We inherited my wife's Gold Rush fairing a couple years ago from another OHPV member. It's had the flame & checkers paint job for nearly 20 years and it still looks good.

The light mount is just under the fitting for the fairing mount. I wanted the light to be close to the fork but still in front of the fairing so I carved up a chunk of aluminum to make a mount. I should take pictures and measurements for Jonathon at Rose City in case they want to duplicate it.

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 12-16-19 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 08:46 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by Lucillle
If one accepts that one is turning the cycle into a tricycle with the extra wheels, and is familiar with riding a trike, then all is well. If whatever one uses translates into more riding, then it is useful.
The stabilizers didn't work out for me but the cooler weather means I'm riding more, that in itself seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Besides which I bought a nice Jused Jamis Coda Sport, I should get it next week lol.
Old 02-23-20, 08:03 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by combover
so I posted one of my Easy Racers for sale at an extremely low price and not 1 reply! a gorgeous GRR with very low miles and nobody cares, not one reply ?? I thought someone would for sure want this thing, I live in a great place for recumbents, near the factory and the coast did I list it wrong ? are recumbents a dying thing ?

Where do you have it posted? My EZ-1 may need some company. I like the LWB bents.

I saw the pics posted above. Is it still for sale? Drop me a PM and let me know what shipping may be, and we can talk. It looks nice.

Last edited by Schwinnhund; 02-23-20 at 08:08 PM.