Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FF R8000 vs. R6800

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FF R8000 vs. R6800

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 11:50 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
FD R8000 vs. R6800

Some time ago I “upgraded” R6800 front derailleur on my C’Dale CAAD10 with an R8000. I recall deciding to do this because I found the long arm design with the cable angle dohicky somewhat finicky to set up and keep tuned. And I was never sure I had the dohicky set right. Well yesterday, while doing a cable replacement, I managed to strip the threads out of the cable adjust thingy into which the cable fixing bolt threads (black thing in pic). No big deal, it is replaceable for $10 (note to self, easy on the torque).

But while I wait for the part to arrive, I reinstalled the R6800 so I could ride today. Well now, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why I switched in the first place. I do like that cable tension adjustment is built into the r8000, but the r6800 was a breeze to set up this time using an inline barrel adjuster, and it shifted flawlessly on my ride today. Oh well, nice to have options I guess.

Last edited by DOS; 02-23-20 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 01:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I remember building up a bike with 6800 components for a friend a few years ago when that groupset was brand new. The documentation that came with it had not been updated, so I had to play around with the front derailleur to get it working properly. Once it was working well, all was good. My friend told me that the shifting, both front and back were far superior to the Dura Ace 7900 components on his other bike. In my case, my difficulty was because the technical documents had not been updated. That being said, my experience with setting up earlier Shimano derailleurs was limited because my road bikes are Campagnolo equipped. This helped me because I did not have to relearn front derailleur setup, no bad habits to break
Old 02-24-20, 03:46 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
My 6800 group shifts like magic. Smooth as you can imagine and hard for me to believe something is better.