Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 10:28 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Probably about the same percentage as bike riders training for races.

Back in my marathon running days, I could definitely feel a difference between running on blacktop and running on concrete.
Same here when I ran keeping fit for soccer. Dark asphalt seemed to feel hotter on summer days.
Old 02-21-20, 10:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Same here when I ran keeping fit for soccer. Dark asphalt seemed to feel hotter on summer days.

If it's a sunny day, black absolutely gets hotter than grey or white.
Old 02-21-20, 11:55 AM
JTSpeedDemon

Bikes: Kent Rollin' Thunder 10-spd/overdrive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well, kind of late to this thread, but here's my bit.
I know one is technically not supposed to ride on sidewalks, but there's also a point where one has no real safe alternative. In my town here in North Texas, bike lanes are VERY rare, my current bike is not up to the task of riding on the road, and to top it off:

The drivers here are absolutely NUTS!!!!

So I just ride on the sidewalks when I can, and otherwise stick to the curb.
And unfortunately, the sidewalks here are riddled with curbs and driveways. *sigh*
Old 02-21-20, 01:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Here at least, in suburban areas where there are few pedestrians, the choice to ride on a sidewalk is completely up to the cyclist's discretion as far as I'm concerned. Although local statutes state otherwise.

There are a couple of streets where a wide sidewalk is marked as a bike route, but it's not marked where that status begins and ends. It's almost a concession that most bikes along there will be in the sidewalks regardless, which really begs the question why have the stay-off-sidewalks statute to begin with and is another reason to not take the statute too seriously.
Old 02-21-20, 02:08 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If it's a sunny day, black absolutely gets hotter than grey or white.
Ahem, [thermodynamics nerd mode on] different colors (aka reflectivity) only affect the rate at which something heats/cools. The equilibrium temperature (if it sits more or less non-changing conditions) is the same regardless of color. [/Thermo nerd mode off]

Of course, constantly changing daylight creates non-equilibrium conditions, so as a general rule. You are correct.
Old 02-21-20, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Ahem, [thermodynamics nerd mode on] different colors (aka reflectivity) only affect the rate at which something heats/cools. The equilibrium temperature (if it sits more or less non-changing conditions) is the same regardless of color. [/Thermo nerd mode off]

Of course, constantly changing daylight creates non-equilibrium conditions, so as a general rule. You are correct.

Now do different types of pavements through the heat death of the universe.

I'm just happy someone out-nerded me today.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-20, 07:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Like I said, I don't run, but the "asphalt is softer" lore is something I've heard from several people, and is a common assertion on the internet along with plenty of skepticism over whether it matters.

Any idea of what proportion of people running on roads are training for races? Just curious.
In rough strokes, 56 million Americans ran or jogged in 2017, and about 19 million ran in a race. So 1/3 overall could be said to be training for races. I would surmise that runners on the road are somewhat more likely to be training for races than runners overall.

There is little to no difference measured in impact and shock, road vs concrete. Personally I stay off the road as much as possible when running due to attenuation of exhaust pollution alone - I've looked into it and it's drastically higher in line with traffic and drops quickly even 10-15 feet away. I know, the same thing could be said for cycling and I avoid sidewalks for the road, but I don't claim to be perfectly logical.about that.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-22-20, 09:28 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
At home there's no particular reason to use a sidewalk, but I've been in the New Orleans area for a while, and my observation is that 100% of bike riders are transportation cyclists and about 98% are on the sidewalk, or grass if no paved walk. The very few on the road are all salmon. Judging by the traffic here, I would say that's the only sane way to ride.

scott s.
Old 02-24-20, 12:56 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
What are your feelings concerning riding on sidewalks ? Yes we know the laws but do you ride on sidewalks and why?

For me it all depends. If it’s more safe and no one is walking on the sidewalk I will certainly ride on it but I will respect others who may be walking/riding on the sidewalk down the road. I do think it is more safe although you really have to be careful at intersections.
once in a while, at traffic jammed intersection, I will venture onto a sidewalk if there are no pedestrians (but only for 30 yards or so)...
and I've also done so, at spot near my house, to be able to turn left from a busy fast moving four lane road (never any pedestrians).
On the other hand, I'm walking on busy Boston sidewalks frequently, and cyclists who ride through that get me steamed, though NOT as much as the guy I saw the other day on motorcyle.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-24-20, 01:15 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
A lot of runners believe that asphalt is a better surface for running than concrete because it's softer. I find this pretty far-fetched because I really don't believe that asphalt deforms enough to matter, but I'm not a runner.
People really do have an odd assessment of risk. Asphalt may (and I'm as skeptical as you) be slightly softer, but it also has cars on it. The people that do this don't seem to factor being hit by a car in their calculation of injury risk.
Old 02-24-20, 02:00 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's called a sideWALK, not sidebicycle - except for small children, no one should be riding on a sidewalk. Be an adult, get on the street - if you don't feel comfortable riding where you live, then don't ride. Take your bicycle somewhere where you do feel safe to ride, or if a cycling lifestyle is that important to you, move somewhere with more bike paths or with less traffic, but don't endanger people on the sidewalk.

...and another thing, cycling on the sidewalk doesn't necessarily make you safe from drivers, especially at intersections. I was at my local bike shop and when leaving the parking lot, making a right-hand turn, I was watching towards the left, looking for a break in traffic. Just as I was ready to go, a kid on his BMX jumped down from the sidewalk on my right to cut across in front of me. He was nearly on my hood! Now, you can say, "You have to look both ways," but how many of us look back to the right several times before making a right-hand turn? Drivers are certainly not looking for cyclists riding against the flow of traffic (man, THAT is a whole other can of worms, right?) on a sidewalk!

Last edited by Glyndwr; 03-01-20 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For Glyndwr:
Old 02-24-20, 02:08 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
We have been having a lot of road construction on our major road this year. Was supposed to be done in Oct but here we are in Feb almost March and its still going on. Since they continue to put the road signs in the middle of the bike path I ride the empty sidewalks. If I see someone I get off but usually I do not.I only do this on our major roadway and as soon as I can I get off that road. I even had to change my route as the road is impassable except for cars on that stretch. Especially after dark-hidden potholes that come up suddenly are a norm. I will be so relieved when its over.
We have one seperate bike path in town and I love it, I wish there were more so that we wouldn't have to share the roadways with cars.
Old 02-24-20, 05:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
People really do have an odd assessment of risk. Asphalt may (and I'm as skeptical as you) be slightly softer, but it also has cars on it. The people that do this don't seem to factor being hit by a car in their calculation of injury risk.
Assessment of risk is based upon one's personal experience, that is, conditions where you personally live. Whatever those conditions may be, don't expect them to be the same for everybody who posts on BF.
Old 02-24-20, 08:34 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Assessment of risk is based upon one's personal experience, that is, conditions where you personally live. Whatever those conditions may be, don't expect them to be the same for everybody who posts on BF.
I have no problem with using sidewalks when the roads are unsafe and/or have very little or no shoulder to ride on. It's illegal here in San Antonio, unless the sidewalk is also a bike path. I end up using the sidewalk for about 5 miles of my normal 20 mile ride. Over half of my normal ride is on some the great park trails we have in our city. I would much rather pay a fine than suffer injury or death while riding on some of the busy local roads, especially from the big pickups with the towing mirrors that stick way too much. Whenever I meet pedestrians on a sidewalk, which is very rare, I always slow down and give them the right-of-way.
Old 02-25-20, 05:59 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Glyndwr
It's called a sideWALK, not sidebicycle - except for small children, no one should be riding on a sidewalk. Be an adult, get on the street - if you don't feel comfortable riding where you live, then don't ride. Take your bicycle somewhere where you do feel safe to ride, or if a cycling lifestyle is that important to you, move somewhere with more bike paths or with less traffic, but don't endanger people on the sidewalk.

...and another thing, cycling on the sidewalk doesn't necessarily make you safe from drivers, especially at intersections. I was at my local bike shop and when leaving the parking lot, making a right-hand turn, I was watching towards the left, looking for a break in traffic. Just as I was ready to go, a kid jumped down from the sidewalk on my right to cut across in front of me. He was nearly on my hood! Now, you can say, "You have to look both ways," but how many of us look back to the right several times before making a right-hand turn? Drivers are certainly not looking for cyclists riding against the flow of traffic (man, THAT is whole other can of worms, right?) on a sidewalk!
being an adult is being safe both for you and also the motorists on the road
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-25-20, 06:00 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdog
I have no problem with using sidewalks when the roads are unsafe and/or have very little or no shoulder to ride on. It's illegal here in San Antonio, unless the sidewalk is also a bike path. I end up using the sidewalk for about 5 miles of my normal 20 mile ride. Over half of my normal ride is on some the great park trails we have in our city. I would much rather pay a fine than suffer injury or death while riding on some of the busy local roads, especially from the big pickups with the towing mirrors that stick way too much. Whenever I meet pedestrians on a sidewalk, which is very rare, I always slow down and give them the right-of-way.
this people
Old 02-25-20, 06:18 AM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Some parts of my routes I do ride on the sidewalk. It's either that or get buzzed by cars going 50 mph because they can't be bother to move over or slow down.

There's never anybody walking on those sidewalks, anyway, so why not?
Old 02-25-20, 10:27 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Cycling on sidewalks is permitted in my hometown unless prohibited by signage. There are designated bike routes around the city which I use 6-7 months of the year. However, during the winter when street plowing occurs, those same routes are covered in snow and can become hazardous during freeze/thaw cycles. Deep ruts in the road caused by passing traffic make it extremely difficult to navigate even with my studded tires. I cautiously hop onto and ride the sidewalks in these situations when I know it’s generally the safer choice. For me, getting to the multi-use trails in the winter involves a combined strategy of road/sidewalk usage when leaving the house but fortunately it’s not that far of a distance.